close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G26 had its first double feed

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by teweekley, Jun 17, 2012.

1. teweekley

teweekley

I took my Dad shooting today at the gun club and brought my G19, G26, and GP100. Decided to finish up what I had left of some Wally WWB in the G26. When the second to last round was fired, it jammed. I stood there and looked thinking "Huh, well look at that. Ain't that some schit? First malfunction on this gun and it had to be the worst kind." After snapping a pic, I did the "Lock slide, strip mag, cycle, and gas 'er up" ritual and it ran fine. I fired more rounds through with the same mag and didn't get anymore malfunctions.

I gave the G26 a thorough cleaning and inspection. Extractor looks fine and isn't chipped. Must have just been a fluke with that one particular round of WWB. I'm glad it happened on the range and not when my life would have depended on it.

[​IMG]

The G26 didn't do too bad at 15 yards either.
    [​IMG]

2. Adamz04

Adamz04

That happened to me once with my 26. It was at the end of a range session and I think mine was it hadn't been cleaned in a while and I was shooting dirty ammo and my extractor claw was gunked up and failed to get a good grasp on the case. Now I clean my extracted better and it hasn't happened since.

3. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

I have had seven misfires in 600 rounds in my G26. What happened with your gun is by no means unusual. I think it has something to do with the short slide travel, very stiff recoil spring and a few milliseconds less time for every part to function in harmony.
    My 7 misfires were, one like you had, 1 dead shell (solid primer strike so i know it was the ammo - Fiocci - which my G26 hates), 2 or 3 stovepipes and a couple failures to extract.

I have not changed any parts in an effort to fix it because misfires are so random and inconsistent. I have tried lubing the extractor and spring and shooting with them dry. I clean my gun like new after every range session - typically 100 or 200 rounds - so cleaning and lubrication ain't it. And always the problem happens in the middle of the magazine (10 rounds here in the PRK) never the first round or the last round. Maybe i will try loading only 8 or 9 rounds into the mag.

I think maybe the best idea with the G26 is try all different brands of ammo, find one brand it seems to like and stick with it. Like I said i've already crossed Fiocci off the list. Haven't had any problem with PMC. Or that Blazer steel ammo either. I suspect a heavier bullet would be a better choice, that way you know the slide is going to cycle completely, and cycle hard.

4. scosgt

scosgt

First of all, a MISFIRE is when a round fails to fire.
    You had one misfire and several STOPPAGES.

Now that is out of the way, I have had a G26 since they first came out (finger grooves with no checkering). I carry it every day, first off duty and now as a retiree. It has not ever had even one STOPPAGE of any kind.
    It LOVES Fiocchi ammo, which is absolutely world class ammo.
    It should function perfectly with any ammo. Mine always does. So you need to look into the cause of the stoppages.
    Stovepipes are generally caused by either limp wristing, or weak ammo. If you have a solid grip, the ammo can be the cause.
    Failures to extract can be the ammo, a dirty chamber, a burr in the chamber, dirty or rough breech face, even a sticking firing pin which does not retract fully in time and interferes with extraction.
    HOWEVER:
    The first thing to look at is the extractor. Detail strip the slide. Make sure the breech face under the claw is CLEAN. Make sure the holes for the FPS and Extractor are clean and allow easy travel and function. Clean out the striker channel, making sure there is no oil grease or burnt powder in there,
    AND look at the extractor claw under a magnifier. My G19 had a very small chip which cause extraction problems with Blazer ammo, which of course we used for qualification. The gun worked perfectly every time I shot it EXCEPT when shooting for score. Eventually (like 10 years) it gave out completely on the Blazer and the armorer replaced the extractor and all was good again. A defect can be very hard to see.
    Also, you may need to replace the spring loaded bearing. That provides the proper tension to the extractor.
    By all means cure the problem. That gun should feed and extract anything you can stuff into the magazine.

5. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

The one big bummer about Glocks:

When a malfunction occurs in a gun fight the Glock Shooter stops to ponder why 'Glock Perfection' failed, while the rest of the gun battle continues... :rofl:

There is a 'Malfunction Clearance Drill' for a reason...

If you AREN'T getting malfunctions you are selecting consistently performing ammo, and NOT pushing your Glock hard enough... :cool:

If you have NEVER had a malfunction, is 'Tap, Rack, Re-Assess' second nature to you?

Just a couple thoughts... just a couple thoughts...

Patrick

6. Bello

Bello America/Italia

First thing I thought when I read this was " Tap, Rack, Bang!"

7. whitebread

whitebread ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Good reason to carry a backup mag. The quickest thing to do when clearing a double feed is to drop the mag, eject the spent round, and throw a new mag in.

8. Deputy

Deputy Millennium Member

My wife fired my Glock 26 last Sunday at the range. 50 rounds of Federal FMJ without a hickup. And I've never had a problem with a variety of FMJ ammo. Only change I have made is the substitution of a metal guide rod assembly for the plastic one. I doubt that matters. Oh well. :supergrin:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  9. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

No machine runs 100% perfect all day everyday:wavey:

10. F2glock6L

F2glock6L

I have about 1000 rounds through my G26 I picked up early this past Jan. I have shot cheap FMJ Federal, and white box Winchesters along with my +P+ 127gr. SD ammo, and havent had one hiccup while the gun is in my hands, but my girlfriend has had 2 stove pipes, and one FTF, and one other buddy who was shooting with a G17 mag had 2 FTF, but was caused by him putting to much pressure with the pinky finger on the mag. So if my gun had as many issues as your gun "Markasaurus" i would most certainly check it out asap, especially if it for EDC.

11. Redstate

Redstate

My Gen 3 and Gen 4 G26s have never malfunctioned (475 rounds through the Gen 4). However, I have a G27, late model Gen 3 that has done the double feed thing about twice, the first time around 300 round count and the second one around the 600 round count. Right or wrong, I attributed it to poor grip. It now has 1400 rounds, and has been perfect since around the 600 round mark. Translates to perfection for the last 800 rounds.

12. Rick305

Rick305 ra1sales.com

7 malfunctions would deem the little bugger a NO-GO.

Send it to glock , that could have been a c-failure to an untrained shooter.

13. Rick305

Rick305 ra1sales.com

Glocks design should not have 7 malfunctions , and be called reliable.

Glocks are point bang shoot like XD's. Lemons happen , send the gun back or take it to a smith.

7 stoppages with factory ammo with a new g27?

:wow:

14. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

7 fails (regardless of type) out of 600 rounds is simply unacceptable and is NOT normal.

15. Deputy

Deputy Millennium Member

LOL...sounds like something they would write on the tombstone of the guy that had the malfunction. :rofl:

16. Deputy

Deputy Millennium Member

Which is the very reason why ALL my Glocks are range guns and not self defense guns. The Murphy Factor is just too embedded in Glock for me to trust it with my life. What happens if your stong hand/arm gets injured and you can't use the gorilla grip on it?

17. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

That's partially correct. On a double feed you take out the magazine first, clear the weapon, then tap, rack, bang.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  18. scosgt

scosgt

The vast majority of Police Officers in the United States would disagree.

I have six Glocks. The only malfunctions I ever had were:
    1. New G27 had four premature slide locks. New extended SSL completely cured it. 500 rounds later no issues.
    2. New G30SF had two 9th round FTF in each of the first two mag loads. Did the little polishing cure, it has never failed since.
    3. G19 failed to extract aluminum ammo we used at the range for qualification. Extractor was chipped. Since it was replaced, back to Glock perfection.

That would be THOUSANDS of rounds since my first G19 back in 1989. With exactly six stoppages. On two brand new guns. That were totally cured by me. And a defective extractor, which actually pulled brass cases out perfectly, just choked on aluminum which I would never carry anyway.

I would not trust my life to any other gun.

19. scosgt

scosgt

We always had to shoot 6 rounds weak handed for qualification. Never had an issue.
    I have fired my Glocks with two fingers and as limp of a wrist as I possible could and still hold onto the guns, no failures.

The limp wristing thing is over rated in my opinion. But then, I know how to shoot.

20. Priapism

Priapism

This is why I shoot quite a bit of self defense ammo when I shoot. The quality of the range ammo has gone downhill. If this happened with SD ammo then that gun is out of rotation until I fix it. If this happens with range ammo then I change ammo and that gun is a BUG at best until I figure it out.

This shouldn't happen.