close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

G26 for buggin out Yay or Nay

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by coleslaw, Feb 12, 2012.

1. coleslaw

coleslaw

Jun 14, 2011
    I know it's commonly asked what is the best bug out weapon. But I'm wondering if my decision to bug out with a G26 is a good one or should I opt for something more like the G17? I also own a .45 acp. I have 7 spare 8 round mags totalling 56 rounds of .45 acp I can carry. It may sound like overkill but I'd like to potentially bug out with 100-200 rounds of self defense ammo while still carrying a handgun that's concealable yet service size (I shoot bigger guns better and further).

My Bug out plan has changed drastically since I've been reading the advice in this section and I now decided to take ALL shotgun ammo out of my BUG out BAG. It's just not smart at all for me to carry around a shotgun unless the Zombies have really taken over. I've come to the conclusion with doing history research and examining potential realisitic SHTF situations that my BUG out plan will be to survive long enough to get to a FOB or help center i.e. Red Cross. In a total Gov't collapse or post nuclear war world (if I do survive that) then my plan is to BUG OUT to my parents then BUG IN with my parents.

2. porschedog

porschedog

Sep 29, 2009
    The 26 is a great gun

Get a few 33 round mags and you'll be good to go

3. PrecisionRifleman

PrecisionRifleman

Jan 24, 2011
    I'd prefer a larger firearm for a "bug out" side arm. Or do as the previous poster mentioned and utilize some high cap magazines with it. I still would prefer a larger pistol for "bug out". One for the longer sight radius, high capacity standard magazines, and better controllability.

4. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    If you want to carry substantial ammo you can't beat 9mm. The difference between 9mm and .45 ACP for 200 rounds is something like 2 pounds or more. That's a lot depending on what else you have to carry. The ammo boxes are also that much larger.

The 26 is more concealable than the 17 but the weight difference is negligible.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  5. Carry what you can shoot well and which is reliable. I prefer G17.

A BOB is for getting to somewhere you have other resources. 100-200 rounds is really heavy (not including your 7 mags). Personally, think that just your G26, plus all spares would be overkill. If you're putting 50 rounds down range at hostile targets (people or rabid animals), the odds are you aren't going to make it.

Now if you're referring to keeping in your BOV, that's a different story. A BOB filled with 100-200 acp rds, plus mags, plus the real survival gear (food, water, first aid, flashlight, shelter, etc) will be pretty heavy if you have to go any portion under your own power.

If I have my G17, my bag has got 2 additional 17-rd mags. Getting somewhere safe is most often achieved by being the "silent service" - achieve stealth.

6. pmwglock19

pmwglock19

Oct 10, 2008
    I agree with 308endurdebate if it is not a teotwawki and all your trying to do is get to a bol. Otherwise, you would need to carry, push or pull in a cart everything that you need to survive, and that would include ammo.

7. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    I sympathize with your plight as I recently sold 3 G23's and a Gen 3 G19 to buy 4 G19 Gen 4's. I wanted a common caliber and weapon to illiminate the possibility of grabbing the wrong magazine and keeping the learning curve and muscle memory the same. The Gen 4's have a longer lasting recoil spring that provides less recoil and a smaller grip with greater texture that benifits both my wife and myself.

If I were you I would go with the G19 with the longer barell, longer grip and greater magazine capacity as well as the ability to conceal it comfortably with the right holster. Yes a G17 will be a bit better shooter at distance with the longer barell but not that much better as the G19 is a full size hand gun. I think the G26 is a poor choice because it puts you at a disadvantage in a gunfight (which is why you are carrying it). If you put night sights or a laser on it you will have a major advantage over an adversary who does not too. For a holster I like the Minotaur MTAC which I can wear all day:
    [​IMG]
    You are spot on carrying a lot of ammunition. It's good to have enough magazines if you get into a gunfight and the bullets start to fly, you won't want to run out of course so you need to carry some easy to get to magazines. I think that 4 is a good number with a G19 as that gives you 76 rounds and that should be enough on your body and another 5 magazines (75 rounds) in your bag is a good idea and I completely agree with you on the round count, it's what I carry in my bag. I use 2 of these Gould and Goodrich dual magazine carriers on my left side.
    [​IMG]
    This much stuff on your belt requires that you wear a decent one. I really like the Wilderness 5 Instructors stitch for it's width, stiffness and infinite adjustability.
    [​IMG]
    I put Laserlytes on mine replacing the rear sights, you don't need a sight pusher but I have one so I used it, it's very quick and simple. The new ones are auto power off and they don't require a special holster or get turned on by your holster or by removing it from your holster.
    [​IMG]
    This is a good set up for me, you may have better ideas for you. I thought that I would share this with you as I recently spent a lot of time and money switching out weapons after a thread on this forum convinced me that it was the right thing to do. I am really glad that I did it now, but it was depressing thinking about all of the time and money involved in changing out 4 pistols and the ammunition and accessories that go with them for something new. Anyway it feels good to have it right.

8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    One thing I forgot to mention, in SHTF situations I would be armed with more than one gun. In that case, the 19/26 combo can't be beat, what with the commonality of platform and magazines. You'd also have some parts swappability in case of breakages.

9. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    I think that your right about the G26 as a backup weapon, right now I use the Keltec .380 but if I can get some range time with a 26 and it conceals well it in my cargo pants, I could be convinced to make the change.

10. PrecisionRifleman

PrecisionRifleman

Jan 24, 2011
    Seems like a lot of people place a high value on a pistol. While a pistol is important to have in that situation I'd bringing my 870 Police as well as my 700 LTR 308.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

11. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    I'm a big fan of G19's and G26's both. I prefer the feel of the 19, but the rational part of my brain makes me think that the G26 may actually be "better" if you could only have one; since it's more concealable without giving up much of anything in the process. Stick on some A&G grip adaptors for using G19 mags in it, and you don't even lose capacity compared to the G19.

I personally prefer the G19, but I don't know that I'd say it's objectively better; just personal preference.

12. coleslaw

coleslaw

Jun 14, 2011
    Thats fine, I strongly believe your BOB and plan has to be tailor made to the individual. It's not that I'm placing a high value on pistols but I have come to the conclusion that me bugging out in the city trying to get to my parents while carrying my 870 isn't the smartest thing for me to do. First off because of the weight, secondly I don't want ANYONE knowing I have food, water, first aid and most importantly a gun. I guess the only way I would take my 870 is if I have my vehicle to get me where I need to go... During rush hour my city is like a parking lot so I can just imagine what it would be like in a emergency situation, that's why I plan on walking to my parents. It's about 8 miles from me now.

13. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    Of course the G26 is a good Bug out gun.

It is fairly easy to conceal and that is a huge plus for it right there. It takes all the same mags a G17 would.

I own both of these styles of Glock, and I prefer the G26 over the G17 in almost every way.

14. coleslaw

coleslaw

Jun 14, 2011
    With my Trijicons installed I can reach out accurately about 15 yards. I know that's good enough to keep distance between me and threats but are there any other sights that provide a better sight picture radius wise? Do you get what I'm saying?

15. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    You might want to look into a bicycle for that 8 miles trip.

With a short barell weapon it's going to be hard to do any better by changing your sights, and Trijicons are pretty good sights anyway. Even with a laser a pistol is just not going to get you much more distance unless you put your time and money into putting more rounds down range. Keep moving that paper down range... :supergrin:

16. WolfNotSheep

WolfNotSheep Tackleberry

Mar 1, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I would stick with the G26, since if you make the gun your every-day-carry then you will always have it with you. I put a +2 mag extension on the flush-fit ten round mag and now I have a small pistol that is incredibly concealable with 13 rounds in it...and a 17 rounder is only a pocket away.

17. pugman

pugman

May 16, 2003
    Wisconsin
    No way to answer this. I have a G26 and like it.

But where is Mom and Dad's. How far do you need to travel? Are your 2-4 planned routes significantly different? Is there any chance of driving part of it?

I have 3 locations. One is close (25 miles or so) and walking mostly through woods and farmer's fields. The second is about 87 miles as the crow flies but involves skirting at least one major Wisconsin city.

#3 is a 6 hour drive north. Nearly all the walking can be done through rural areas. At a forced march pace it would take me a solid two weeks

For me, its all about speed of response. If I can clear the first 25 miles or so - location #2 is very doable. I can also always disasemble and destroy a weapon i can't carry with me

If its locale #3...I'm bringing substantially more firepower along than a pistol.

18. coleslaw

coleslaw

Jun 14, 2011
    I never really thought of multiple BOL. My parents is about 8 or maybe 9 miles from me. I never really thought about something so bad that I would have to have multiple BOL. In all honesty I think if the situation is that bad that I need a susbential amount of firepower (more than just a handgun) and mutliple places to bug out then I don't really know how long I'd survive.

19. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

May 14, 2006
    Kansas
    You lack confidence in yourself. You can't buy confidence in the form of supplementary gear. You are the key here. Not the gun. Get intimate with your tools. Learn how to use them. Learn how to make your surroundings work for you. You have an excellent gun. Now tune yourself up to use your gun and other tools to their fullest potential.

Again, you are the key here. Not the gun.