Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

G23's with .40SW markings

Discussion in 'Glock Collector's Club' started by Dogtowntom, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Dogtowntom

Nov 7, 2008
    When did Glock stop marking barrels and slides ".40 SW" and start with ".40"?
  2. D.S.Brown

D.S.Brown Millennium Member

Dec 24, 1999
    North Texas
    I would say around 1996 to 1997. I don't have specifics. I have a 2nd Gen that has only the ".40", it's the one in the Sig line with the CLU prefix in the serial number. According to one of my guides that serial number prefix was manufactured between August and November of 1997. I know of some C series serial numbers that have the gen 3 frame, and the one in my sig line with DDT prefix was made in the Spring of 1999. I don't know if that helps, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be around shortly.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010

3. GammaDriver

Jun 3, 2002
    Are all manufacturers going to ".40" instead of ".40 S&W" ?

I take it that S&W won't want to see their moniker removed from the cartridge but, really, what other main-line .40 is there to get it mixed up with?

My 1993 G23 has the S&W - and now, in the most limited sense, I finally feel like I have a collectors' item (only hundreds of thousands - maybe millions - made just like it!). :clown:
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  4. aryfrosty

Oct 19, 2010
    My 3rd gen Glocks, (22, 23 and 27), all have ".40" without the S&W and ".357" , (32, 33), without the "Sig". The scuttlebutt I picked up on at several stores and ranges was that the gunmakers don't want to credit another company on their weapons. It's been that way for a mighty long time. In actuality the ".44 magnum" round is the ".44 Remington Magnum". The ".44 special" is the ".44 Smith and Wesson Special". I may be wrong but I don't think I've ever heard of any other maker even chambering guns in ".45GAP". Of course they may also be listening to .45acp and 10mm fans like one of my partners who like to call the 40, ".40 S hort & W eak".
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  5. tuica

Apr 28, 2009
    Here's some info on my previous post.
  6. JK-linux

Mar 5, 2009
    If it's any help, mine has the .40 S&W markings on the barrel and slide. The serial number is BLZ2**US.

7. Jon G23

Jon G23

Apr 12, 2001
    Hmmmmm So why does my 1990 Glock 23 have 40 only and no mention of SW anywhere??
  8. Jon what are the first 3 letters of your serial # on your G23?
  9. Leathernecker

Leathernecker More Glocks!

Dec 6, 2007
    NZ prefix without SW.

No SW on the slide and the round was so new that Glock didn't even have a 40 SW marked box. The dealer actually apologized for the box saying what it does when I bought it way back then.

ANS prefix with SW.

NZH prefix 3rd Gen without SW.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  10. That is really cool. I always find it entertaining that Glock actually beat S&w to the market with a gun chambered in their own caliber. The evolution is really awesome.
  11. Fadedsun

Mar 21, 2011
    My 1994 2nd gen g23 is marked .40 SW and has the prefix of AYR. When did .40 SW or .40 marked boxes come shipped with second gen glocks?
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011