close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G23 OWB Summer Carry

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Gunnersmate4, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Gunnersmate4

Gunnersmate4

Here's how I dressed today proving you can conceal a G23 comfortably OWB during mild summer days. I'm 5'10" 195lbs and have a little bit of a gut, love handles, spare tire...whatever you want to call it. I like wearing my holster at the 9 o'clock position (I'm a lefty) with a straight vertical cant.

What I wore:

Shirt: Green polo shirt, slightly bigger than normal but not overly baggy, I wear size L polos normally-the polo in the pics is a XL. White t-shirt underneath
    Pants: 5.11 tactical pants (Also works with any kind of jeans)
    Belt: 5.11 1.5" web belt (My everyday use gunbelt)
    Holster: Mitch Rosen Upper Limit-Express Line holster
    Gun: Glock 23 .40S&W

When I asked my wife where my gun was, she identified my right front pocket and thought it was only my Walther PPK. Lifted my shirt and her eyes widened to see my G23 under the polo. Temp today was in the mid to upper 60's which is mild even for WA. I was comfortable all day in this set up running errand with my wife and daughter. You could also wear shorts if the temp was warmer with the same result. Hope this helps some people as it starts getting warmer throughout the country.

Attached Files:

• CW1.jpg
      CW1.jpg
      File size:
      107.1 KB
      Views:
    • CW2.jpg
      CW2.jpg
      File size:
      99.5 KB
      Views:
    • CW3.jpg
      CW3.jpg
      File size:
      88.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Dozerdog

Dozerdog

I also carry a G23 in a Mitch Rosen, but it's a 5JR President (excellent holster - my favorite). My only suggestion: don't use a solid color cover shirt, a print conceals much better without "printing".

3. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent Rude Member

I too conceal a G23 everyday, most of the time in just a tshirt in the blistering 60 degree july Washington heat. The people that say you can't, either haven't or aren't doing something right.

4. Gunnersmate4

Gunnersmate4

Winter time I conceal the G23 in sweatshirts, both solid and ones with print. I have button up and polos both solid and print designs. To me and my body style either works well provided i've got the right holster and shirt combo. To me those are the two crucial factors. Thanks for the input. I had the 5JR without the thumbreak and I agree it's a great holster, but I like the vertical cant of the UPL-EXP.

5. Gunnersmate4

Gunnersmate4

What holster do you conceal the G23 in with a t-shirt? Do you get a t-shirt a size bigger? OWB? IWB? Personally I don't find IWB very comfortable for my body type.

6. BailRecoveryAgent

I wear the same size tshirts that I would wear if I didn't carry. I much prefer OWB, and with broad shoulders and a narrow(er) waist, I have a little dead space between the shirt and my body, where the gun stays nice and concealed.

Galco Cop Series used to be my EDC holster, now it serves as a backup/Harley riding holster.
    [​IMG]

Now I use a Desantis Facilitator for the added security of a level 2 retention holster for work, but I've been wearing every day whether working or not. I'm probably going to use this holster full time from now on.
    [​IMG]

ETA: I'm a little less fat in the second pic than the first, the more weight I lose, the easier owb is to conceal and even more comfortable.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

OWB is very easy. I always wear solid color shirts, never a problem.

High Noon Slideguard.

8. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

OWB is the only way I ever carry.My Sig 239 in a DeSantis Speed Scabbard conceals easily under a normal fit T-shirt.

9. hikerpaddler

hikerpaddler

Concealing a 23 OWB is easy. Even in shorts and a t shirt.

10. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

I, and all 145lbs of me, concealed my 23 IWB all day in shorts and a medium t-shirt while I instructed a riflery course. Bent over, got on the ground, went over rifle positions and nobody noticed, not even the other instructors until I lifted up my shirt tail when one asked what I carry.

CTAC - FTW!!!1!!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  11. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

deleted

12. glocker73

glocker73

OWB is a breeze in a TT GunLeather Snap Pancake.

13. X-Concealment

X-Concealment NRA Cert.FI/RSO

Summer time in FL temp regularly in the 90s, G26 is my daily, but occationally, I do carry my 19 OWB under an untacked shirt. I wouldn't go leather in this temp, so Kydex is the only way for me.

[​IMG]

Or

[​IMG]

14. eric_in_texas

eric_in_texas

Another one here! I carry my G23 in a cheapo Glock Sport Holster with a t-shirt.

15. Just1More

Just1More

It hides good just standing there....but what happens when you bend over to unload your cart at the grocery store? It'll print like a mofo!

16. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Several years ago I use to daily CCW a G23 under light clothing in a Bianchi Carrylok model 82.

I find with the contour of the Glock more than a few degrees cant causes it to print more than a straight drop holster.

17. BailRecoveryAgent

I'm not 7' tall, and I don't put groceries underneath the cart so that isn't an issue.

I agree, I find I like the lesser amount of cant that the Facilitator has, the Galco has so much forward cant, it forces your wrist at an uncomfortable, awkward position in order to get a good grip on the weapon. Its now my motorcycle carry holster.

18. X-Concealment

X-Concealment NRA Cert.FI/RSO

19. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Unless you're pretty skinny, minimal cant is preferable. Zero cant in many cases. Cant isn't about retention, that's a user/holster design issue. Cant only helps drawstroke where the holster is worn behind 9 or 3 o'clock.

20. rvrctyrngr

rvrctyrngr Senior Moment

I agree. I'm fairly thin and my two primary OWB holsters are custom rigs with about a 10 degree cant. Just enough to tilt the butt a bit, but not enough to hinder the draw (worn at 3:00). All others are straight drop. Yes, they print a tad more (depending on cover garment), but I don't worry about it.

As age makes its presence felt more and more, the arthritis in my hands precludes the typical FBI 15 degree cant, and I've found it's just not necessary for me.