close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

G23 Gen4 slide locking back

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by RangeRover, Apr 17, 2013.

1. RangeRover

RangeRover

Jan 13, 2010
    Ohio
    I went to the range today and all was well. I did a field strip just to clean the barrel and put a couple drops on.

When I put the gun back together, I tried to pull the slide back and forth to get the oil worked around and the slide keeps locking back. Does this with or without a mag in.

The gun has never been detail stripped. It is 100% stock glock. Any ideas what could be causing this?

2. If it is locking back when it is not supposed to (i.e. no empty mag inserted), that means something else is pushing the slide stop lever up and catching the slide.

My first step in troubleshooting this would be to field strip the pistol again. Then with no mag in place see if something is pushing the slide stop lever up.

Without a mag in place, it should lay down against the frame. Then insert a mag and see that the slide stop lever is pushed up.

Hopefully with the pistol field stripped, you can see what the problem is.

If it has been detailed stripped, a likely problem is that the slide stop lever spring is in the incorrect place - it should be below the top pin, not above it.

Let us know how it goes.

3. RangeRover

RangeRover

Jan 13, 2010
    Ohio
    I took your advice and field stripped the pistol. Moved the slide stop up and down and few times and now it works as it should. Thanks for your help. Since I had never detail stripped it, I knew it couldn't be too many things.

Thanks again.

4. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Almost Done

Sep 12, 2006
    Rocking Chair
    Remember to put in the locking block pin first THEN the trigger pin through the slide stop lever.