Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

G23 (40 to 9mm conversion)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jdl2, Feb 12, 2013.

1. jdl2

Feb 21, 2011
    Would using a 40 to 9 conversion barrel in a G23 be as reliable and accurate as G19? Would use for EDC so want to be certain. Best brand?
  2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    I would suggest a KKM conversion barrel. Much less problems with
    it vs Lone Wolf conversion barrels. You will also need a G19 mag
    & to ensure reliability, use a G19 trigger housing. The 9mm ejector
    is a bit different.

3. KenB22

Jul 28, 2009
    I have used 4 different Lone Wolf barrels without issue. What I have done for my 2 G23's is buy a G19 RSA and use that with the 40-9 conversion barrel. I have never had to change the trigger housing. I do use G19 mags. I shot 500 FMJ and 100 JHP and when there was no issues, I felt OK to carry it EDC. Nothing is 100%. Just look at all the threads here about people having problems with their EDC's that are 100% stock.
  4. KK40384

Jun 19, 2009
    For range use yes they're just fine. For carry swap the ejector and extractor to 9mm. Also when purchasing conversion barrel I'd look at KKM or Storm Lake. The Lone Wolf barrels are ok but not quite like the other 2 mentioned. I have both the Storm Lake and Lone Wolf and will take the Storm Lake any day of the week and twice on Sunday over the LW.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
  5. Kodiak Ken

Kodiak Ken Millennium Member

I own several KKM barrels and find them to be very reliable and accurate. I own two Storm Lake barrels and they have been good also. The KKM barrels have button rifling which is smoother and, I think, easier to clean.

I have a Glock 27 with a KKM 40 to 9mm conversion barrel that my wife carries every day. As a rule I don't carry a gun that isn't as it came from the factory but I think in this case I could justify why it was a good idea (i.e. less recoil, faster additional shots if needed, and she shoots it better than a 40).

I don't own any Lone Wolf barrels. I read somewhere that their barrels were made over in Asia somewhere and the email exchange I had with Lone Wolf did not prove otherwise. (He wouldn't say where they were made.) I know both KKM and Storm Lake are made here in the USA. That doesn't matter to some people but I try to buy American products whenever I can.
  6. Saberman

Apr 14, 2011
    Look at Storm Lake conversion barrels, I've had very good results with them. 23/19 and 27/26
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  7. I have to wonder about the changing extractor and ejector thing being that the breachface size of the .40 is larger. also the fact that many G19 owners have the brass to the face issue. it was my understanding that the RSA was the same in the 9mm and the .40, although I may be wrong.
    I also have a LW for my 23 that has been 100%.
  8. todd_g

Aug 22, 2011
    West Michigan
    I have a LW I bought for my G23, It pulls double duty as I also use it in my G27, looks a little weird because the barrel is a little longer, both have proven 100% reliabilit in both handguns. The 23 I use in local competitions, with 9mm mags I wouldn't hesitate to use it for everyday carry.
  9. tonyparson

Jan 20, 2008
    Dayton, TN.
    This ☝☝☝☝☝☝
  10. CAG01

Feb 8, 2013
    I have one for my G27. I have put 1000+ rounds through it with 0 failures. Just pick up the G19 mags and you are good to go.
  11. 8DuckCaller

Mar 24, 2012
    Have Gen 4 23. Just ordered KKM 9mm barrel and Gen 4 Mod. 19 RSA. I've been told I can use Gen 4 Mod. 23 mags. Is that correct? Will only use 9 for range shooting never for CC. Thanks
  12. pjstreng

Jan 18, 2010
    I use a 9mm KKM conversion barrel with 9mm magazines for my G23 and it has functioned without fail and is at least as accurate as the .40 OEM barrel. Also use a .357 sig OEM barrel without any problems.
  13. 8DuckCaller

Mar 24, 2012
    I also have the 357 sig conversion barrel and pleased with it. Also have the 22 kit. The 9 was the only one left.:cool: But again, can I use the 40 mags?
  14. KenB22

Jul 28, 2009
  15. eric2684

Jun 4, 2008
    The "trigger housing on the G19 is the same as it is on the 40. Just change the barrel and mag, and you will be fine.
  16. "Cold Dead Hands" !

"Cold Dead Hands" !

Feb 19, 2009
    Not as reliable !
    People I personally know, who have done this 40-9 conversion, say it's not as reliable.
    I found that to be true shooting their G23's, as many on this forum have stated for years.
    If you shoot a lot, go 9mm.
    Ammo cost savings is worth it.
    Also, consider that some modern 9mm's have just about as much stopping power as most .40's & .357 Sigs or .45acp's.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  17. JakeFromStateFarm

JakeFromStateFarm .40 S&W

Dec 14, 2012
    Or buy a glock19.....:brickwall:
  18. I've not had any issues shooting mid weight 9mm, (124GR) quality cartridges (I've used Speer Gold Dot and Speer Lawman) using nothing more than the Storm Lake conversion barrel and G19 magazines...

...I would and have carried this conversion in harms way without worry...I have found this combination to be 100% reliable...

...I would always test your own combination first for reliability and accuracy but many 1911 guys change up the barrels for varying reasons without issue...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  19. tonyparson

Jan 20, 2008
    Dayton, TN.
    Good luck finding a G19 now days.
  20. clarkz71

Aug 24, 2012
    South Florida
    Got that right, I bought mine the same week as th CT shooting