close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G21 Gen 4 - Problem?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ryan1469, Apr 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. ryan1469

ryan1469

So I am new to guns and Glock. I have fired about 350 rounds and I am loving it. But I have a question/problem. Today I fired about 100 rounds. I got hit in the face and safety glasses about 8-10 times by spent shells. I also had several land on my arms and one even made it down my shirt. That didn't feel great at all. I have been shooting 2 types of ammo. Remminton UMC 230 gr and Federal American Eagle 230 gr.

Any thoughts? Like I said I am new to shooting and any help would be great.

Thanks

2. larson1122

larson1122

Sorry to hear that. This is the first problem I have heard of with a Gen 4 G21. Mine has yet to throw a case anywhere other than where it is supposed to. Did you have any problems with it before today? And did the problems happen with only one of the 2 rounds you mentioned or both? Some guns simply don't like certain ammo, but it certainly could be the gun:dunno: Hopefully you get it figured out!

3. Newglock2012

Newglock2012

Def let us know what happens. I was going to get a gen 4 21 shortly

4. Meathead9

Meathead9

Anything is possible, but my money's on weak ammo and/or limpwristing.

5. MikeG36

MikeG36

Haven't heard about any Gen 4 G21 issues. I'd make sure that you clean and lube well before your next session and see if that helps. Also some full power ammo might make a difference. Good luck.

6. ryan1469

ryan1469

It happened with both types of ammo. I have shot twice and it did not happen the first time but I was outside on a windy day. I will buy some other ammo and lube well before I go out again.

7. ryan1469

ryan1469

Any lube you suggest? Looked at a few videos on cleaning and how to. Used what hick0k45 suggested for cleaning and lubing.

8. larson1122

larson1122

I use Breakfree CLP but you will be fine with just about anything. Here's a link to a current thread about lube for Glocks: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1415824

9. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Folks here hate to hear me say this, but it could be your grip/stance and/or posture. While UMC ammo is pretty cheap stuff, American Eagle is excellent quality ammo. If you wish to try something new, then try some Speer lawman.

I learned a long time ago, long before owning my first Glock, to always wear a high necked shirt, glasses and ball cap when shooting semi-automatic centerfire pistols.

10. ryan1469

ryan1469

I said I was new so my grip/stance and posture could all be wrong. No offence taken here. I want to learn and get better. Willing to change. Will try Speer Lawman and see what happens. Hat and high neck shirt are already next to my ammo bag. Thank you DannyR for your thoughts. Will post again after my next time at the range.

11. OrGlocker

OrGlocker

Sorry to hear that but try a different brand of ammo.

12. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Ryan,

Practice the following:

1. Lean forward from the waist
    2. Knees slightly bent, feet shoulder width apart
    3. Both arms outstretched, elbows and wrists locked--requires zero strength
    4. Firm grip, but not a death grip. 60% weak hand, 40% strong hand
    5. Chin down, CHIN DOWN! CHIN DOWN!

While you can't always use this in personal defense, you should practice it at all times. You are more likely to get "beaned" shooting indoors, due to brass bouncing off the partitions and ceiling.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  13. cubbyjg

cubbyjg

sounds like stance and grip need some work. dannyr provided some good advice. also, try to find a beginners handgun course around you or find a range that offers private lessons. when i first started shooting, i attended a 2 hour private lesson focused on basic handgun fundamentals.

are you able to get a solid grip on the pistol? which size backstrap are you using?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012