close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G21 breech face indentation.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by vaquero aleman, Jan 28, 2013.

1. crash_gsxr750

crash_gsxr750
    Expand Collapse
    Arrows first

Please report back what the findings are

And if you can while your there could you please pick me up a couple g21 g17 mags while your at it :D

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. yellowhand

yellowhand
    Expand Collapse

It was a very poor thought in a moment of weakness, that I freely admit. :faint::faint::sadangel:

Cliff W. likes this.
  3. vaquero aleman

vaquero aleman
    Expand Collapse
    "ah-lay-mahn"

I'll see if maybe they have some candies with the Glock logo on them.

4. gwdex

gwdex
    Expand Collapse

+ 1 to this. Honesty is the best policy.

Greg

G21SF
    P220
    P225
    P226 Navy

5. crash_gsxr750

crash_gsxr750
    Expand Collapse
    Arrows first

So long as they are peppermint

6. Joshhtn

Joshhtn
    Expand Collapse
    The eBay Guy
    Silver Member

Tagged

7. GRT45

GRT45
    Expand Collapse
    Transform & Win

Take note of this excerpt from the current Wikipedia entry for .460 Rowland (text emphasis is mine):

"The increase in slide velocity over a standard .45 ACP, or even a .45 Super round, cannot be properly controlled with an increase in recoil spring rate alone. Autoloaders properly converted to fire the mighty .460 Rowland Cartridge require a compensator or a ported barrel to insure reliable, long lasting, operation. This fact not withstanding, there continues to be customer demand for a "Stock-Looking" .460 Rowland Conversion; however, any effort to answer this demand is thus-far not supported by the Inventor. Mr. Rowland still maintains that a properly designed .460 Rowland Conversion requires an effective compensator to momentarily delay slide action until the very high pressures developed by his cartridge dissipate to more manageable levels. Without this compensation, slide or frame failure will result over time and reliability will suffer in the short term. [Citation; Mr. Johnny Ray Rowland]"​

#47 GRT45, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  8. F106 Fan

F106 Fan
    Expand Collapse

Although I am not a big fan, and I might not try it with the Rowland, it is possible to keep the slide from operating with very little hand pressure. For some odd reason, they're teaching that technique to LEOs. If the slide doesn't unlock, it doesn't take much to keep it closed. Yes, the pressure holding the case to the chamber retards the opening of the slide.

Looking at the primer in the photos above, I can't help but notice that the striker is dragging. I need to study that some more. I wonder if it is common to all Glocks?

I reload for my G21SF but I don't recall seeing a drag mark in the primer. Next time around, I'll look for it.

Richard

9. ken grant

ken grant
    Expand Collapse

Anyone thought of this?
    Excessive Headspace? pressure builts in case when fired, bullet moves foward, primer backs out some, case slammed against breech with primer partway out.

10. vaquero aleman

vaquero aleman
    Expand Collapse
    "ah-lay-mahn"

Well, this is what happened at Glock, Inc. Smyrna today. The service rep gave me a ball cap

[​IMG]

And then he proceeded to explain that if I continue firing from this slide it will eventually fail. He couldn't give me a time frame, just that it would fail and also that the repair that I made on the frame would continue to crack and eventually fail as well. I did not get any specific information regarding why the slide is the way it is but pretty much just a sales pitch and a statement that the only thing they were willing to do was to replace the slide and the frame. Since they offered a brand new, last in the house, OD frame with all of the hardware installed and a brand new G21 slide with all of the hardware installed except that I kept my barrel and sights, all for $305.00US I couldn't pass it up. So I don't know any thing more about why the slide was caving in but now I have a new gun. Good enuff fo me. Different serial numbers but I don't care.

[​IMG]

11. vaquero aleman

vaquero aleman
    Expand Collapse
    "ah-lay-mahn"

Oh, he did say that 45ACP+P is OK but no 45 Super. And I doubt, very much, that any kind of warranty came with this replacement. At least, he didn't offer that there was any.

12. kodiakpb

kodiakpb
    Expand Collapse

You lucked out. Interesting that they gave you a FDE frame since to my knowledge its a Lipsey's exclusive.

13. SJ 40

SJ 40
    Expand Collapse

In his post he said OD but in the photo it does appear FDE,could be the lighting. SJ 40

14. vaquero aleman

vaquero aleman
    Expand Collapse
    "ah-lay-mahn"

Your knowledge is correct. I got an OD frame. I asked if they might have any of the FDE frames and he said that he had never seen any there, so it is completely a Lipsey's thing.

And, it is because of the difference between using a flash and not using one. This happened to me when I first bought the OD 21 and I actually made a post about it in "The 21 Club".

"Flat Dark Earth vs OD, how do you know?"

When I am looking at the gun, in my hand, it is obviously OD but when I take pics of it with a flash it looks brown or tan.

#54 vaquero aleman, Feb 1, 2013
  15. Joshhtn

Joshhtn
    Expand Collapse
    The eBay Guy
    Silver Member

Congrats!! I'm a HUGE OD fan!! Own a few myself.... Glad this worked out good for you.

16. vaquero aleman

vaquero aleman
    Expand Collapse
    "ah-lay-mahn"

Check out this excerpt from Wikipedia when I was knee deep in the middle of experimenting with .460 Rowland:

Wikipedia excerpt(5/21/2012):
    "Conversion kits co-developed by Wild West Guns and Jonny Rowland for the Smith & Wesson M&P, Glock and Springfield Armory Tactical striker type pistols, due to locking system differences, do not require use of a compensator. Slide velocity in these converted firearms is controlled with a change to the recoil spring alone. Consequently, the converted firearm is lighter and more compact than a converted 1911 type."

#56 vaquero aleman, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  17. vaquero aleman

vaquero aleman
    Expand Collapse
    "ah-lay-mahn"

Thanks. Even though I paid for it, I am satisfied with the outcome of this debacle.

18. kodiakpb

kodiakpb
    Expand Collapse

Can you take a pic without a flash?

19. 500WE

500WE
    Expand Collapse

That level of customer service continues to amaze me!
    :cheers:

20. vaquero aleman

vaquero aleman
    Expand Collapse
    "ah-lay-mahn"

No flash

[​IMG]

Fluorescent lighting though.

#60 vaquero aleman, Feb 1, 2013