close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G20c Buffalo Bore 200gr FTE

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by G20c, Jan 6, 2013.

1. G20c

G20c
    Expand Collapse

Gents,

First post here. Before I start, I have spent several hours reading post relating to 10mm heavy ammo and posts relating to Glock FTE issues. I have not come across any that seem to tackle my specific question. If I have missed something a polite redirect would be appreciated.

I have a G20c 3rd Gen. Compensated factory barrel.

I bought the gun with the purpose of being able to shoot heavy (200 - 230 gr) loads for black bear/woods defense while mountain biking/hiking. Before anyone suggests it, a revolver is not my choice, I accually traded a Model 29 .44 mag for the G20c.

In short, love the gun, grip fits my hand perfectly, love the big grip, stupidly accurate, recoil is super manageable, quickly becoming my favorite gun to shoot. It eats any and almost all ammo from standard 180gr American Eagle FMJ, to Win. Silver Tips, to Glaser/Cor Bon Safety Slugs, without a single failure of any kind.

The problem comes when I shoot Buffalo Bore 200 gr FMJ FN (1200 FPS) rounds, Item # 21A/20.
    The first box I had 5 FTE's out of 20, the second box I had 1 out of 20. Not exactly reliable enough to bet my life on. I contacted BB, but they basically said that the rounds shoot fine from their G20, so they can't help. They were not rude, but not exactly helpful. I will post some pictures of the last failure and hope folks can offer up some suggestions.

Since it shoots everything else fine, my first thought is to put a stiffer spring in it. This is the the first full sized Glock I have owned, the others have had compound springs, but the slide does feel fairely easy to rack.

I am wondering is the slide is coming full open then starting to close before the case has had a chance to eject, then gets hammered by the slide.

Another question/clue is that besides the striker pin impression on the primer, there is a square "counter impression", wonder if this is normal for the G20, or another clue?

Thanks Guys.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!

Attached Files:

2. Razed By Wolves

Razed By Wolves
    Expand Collapse

OK, no expert here, but that ejector mark on the end of the cartridge should be somewhere in the middle. A 20# or 22# spring should control the recoil enough to catch it in the right place and prevent that kind of FTE.

I'm using a 20# brass stacker in a G21SF and have never had a FTE with the hot/heavy stuff. For what it's worth the slide still feels "easy to rack."

3. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow
    Expand Collapse
    Ret. Fireman

The slide speed could be running a bit too high. Just beware some springs can bunch up causing the slide to short stroke also.

Changing out the recoil spring may solve your issue, 20 or 22 should be about right for the higher impulse ammo.

Also look at the breech face and extractor fit, to insure the Buffalo Bore brass can slide easily up and under the extractor without binding up. Check to see if it is indeed the right extractor for the 10mm.

4. icelandicstud

icelandicstud
    Expand Collapse

brass stacker 22lb ism and your good to go. get rid of that 20c barrel. your bleeding off velocity/power like no body's business.

5. orangeride

orangeride
    Expand Collapse

Ive noticed on some of my really warm 200gr HC loads that if I really grip the gun tight ill start to get sluggish extraction, where as if I lighten up on the gun it slings the brass like crazy. It's always shoot everything else fine. I'm of the opinion that when I hold the gun real tight and with the hot loads things are unlocking to soon. You might try a fresh RSA or maybe a 22lbs spring. Be careful though is I've heard of some guys getting feed issues when going with stiffer springs.

6. G20c

G20c
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info, I just ordered a 22# spring and SS guide rod.

I hadn't thought about the loss of velocity with the ported barrel, anybody know how many FPS I am losing?

I started looking for a used LWD solid barrel.

Thanks again.

7. G20c

G20c
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info, will let you know how it shoots after installing the new spring. I am also wondering what effect the ported barrel has on this equation.

8. Taterhead

Taterhead
    Expand Collapse
    Counting Beans

How many rounds are through your gun? I had the same problem last year with an ejector that was a bit worn. It was slightly bent to the left (if looking down from the top) so that it was just catching the case or barely missing. A quick swap eliminated that problem. Also, it might be time to replace your stock RSA too. 3000 rounds is a good time to do that.

The big dent is obviously from the case slamming into the end of the barrel on the slide return.

A heavier spring with hot ammo caused pretty regular failures to feed in my G20, so YMMV.