close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

G20 to the rescue in the woods

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by mrheythere, Jul 22, 2008.

1. mrheythere

mrheythere

Apr 14, 2007
    Bear story...

I have fished in the presence of bears a number of times in Alaska and Canada, always giving them a lot of room. I usually carry a G20 when I fish in the US, and am well aware of the deficiencies of handgun v. bear. Yet, the G20 is better than nothing and does well against dogs and big cats and meth lab owners. Often I couple it with a can of bear spray.

This weekend a buddy and I are fly fishing for trout. On the hike to the river we see a black bear, so we make a lot of noise and keep walking. After getting to the river and fishing for a few minutes, I hear a tree branch break and I turn around expecting to see a deer. Nope, that big black bear is now 30 feet away. He followed us to the river!

The river was too deep to wade across to the other side. Out comes the G20 from the blade tech holster and I "make big" and shout at the bear, who looks at me and walks back into the brush. I have never known a bear to follow someone.

We promptly move upstream a few hundred yards and it starts to smell like a pack of wet dirty dogs (bear is present warning sign). This bear is persistent. So we pack up and get out of Dodge. We could not relax and fish with our backs to the brush.

I am glad I did not have to shoot at the bear, and was very glad to have been holding a G20 while driving the bear away. Excellent field/woods weapon. I have a Casull but find it very heavy to pack and a bit much for anywhere besides Alaska. 15 rounds of hot 10mm was nice backup.

An interesting part of the story is this took place in Western Washington. One never knows.

2. TrooperBrian

TrooperBrian

Jul 16, 2008
    Boise, ID
    I was JUST thinking about something like this because a man in Montana was attacked just last night. You'll be better off with a gun, bear spray is just diluted "civilian people spray"...from 10% OC to 5% OC...the only thing it is going to do is piss off the bear.

3. Ranger.357

Ranger.357 NRA Member

Aug 22, 2007
    WA State
    It depends on how hungry the bear is, and if it has become injured or sick. I haven't heard of too many stories about blacks but a Griz will track you down. I worked with a guy that moved to Alaska and he had to shoot a Grizzly in his living room because it tore through the door of his double wide. He retreated to his bedroom and got his hunting rifle and had to shoot it several times. It died at the end of the hallway leading to his bedroom. A lot of people love bears, I love them as far from me as possible.

4. mrheythere

mrheythere

Apr 14, 2007
  5. perado

perado Sunburnt baldy

May 28, 2008
    Tucson, in the Arid Zone
    They say that hikers should carry pepper spray and make noise, such as lacing little bells into their bootlaces.

A sign of bear presence is finding bear dropping. I understand that you can tell bear dropping by checking for little bells and chewed up pepper spray containers.

I think a G20 makes much more sense.

6. ljnowell

ljnowell beyond help

May 17, 2008
    Maybe a possibility this bear is used to humans in the area and is following waiting for trash or leftovers? Its quite common for people to leave scraps and whatnot, although not adviseable when bears are around for the obviously noted reasons.

7. mrheythere

mrheythere

Apr 14, 2007
  8. mrheythere

mrheythere

Apr 14, 2007
    The above sounds like a plausible reason.

I have been running a lot searches on Google and this story lends support for your theory.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1,1249,670192470,00.html

9. Ranger.357

Ranger.357 NRA Member

Aug 22, 2007
    WA State
    I just remeber something else about Grizzlies, I was watching that surving in Alaska series and the guide was saying that they have learned to come running when they hear gunshots, cuz it normally means downed game.

PS..........Don't aim for the head.

10. mrheythere

mrheythere

Apr 14, 2007
    Why not?

11. Ranger.357

Ranger.357 NRA Member

Aug 22, 2007
    WA State
    Skulls too thick, won't penetrate the brain. Maybe from the side with a HP rifle, but a shot to the forehead with a handgun will most likely part his scalp only.

12. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

May 3, 2008
    Arkansas
    +1.........even a high powered rifle bullet can glance off the front of the skull.

13. Scary stuff. Glad it turned out ok and you didn't have to shoot. Good call on getting out of there. Something wasn't right with the bear, because black bears are usually scared of people and will usually take off at the first sight of a human.

14. dancingwolf

dancingwolf

Jul 9, 2008
    From your description, it sounds like the bear was stalking you, something black bears usually don't do, but I'm glad all turned out well and you didn't have to shoot.

It must have felt comforting to know you had your GLOCK primed and ready!!

15. I agree that it sounds like the bear was stalking you.

Did you report it to the Game Warden?

16. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002

I agree on the "thick as a brick" skull part. But, to add a tid bit here. It is mostly due to the angle of the skull on a Grizz, and the placement, or area of where the brain is in the skull. Many a hunter has taken a "frontal shot," at a Grizz to the head with high powered rifle, aiming just above, and right between the eyes, only to see the bullet zip right off the skull like a ricochet off a pond. This don't mean you can't do it, but if the head 'must be the target', broad side is best. ;) I know some folks with heads like this. ha.

Good luck to ya.
    Now get back out there and go fishin! ;)

CanyonMan

17. Mother of god. These things sound like Armored Personnel Carriers more than they sound like wild animals. LOL!!!!

18. mrheythere

mrheythere

Apr 14, 2007
    Hmmm. Maybe he was stalking us. Glad it turned out Ok.