close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

G20 sight recommendations

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by Njanear, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    OK... I have owned a G20 for several years. I bought it in 2004 as a factory Refurb with NS because I thought it was a great deal and that I could use it hunting. While the sights are OK, I didn't find them to be what I really wanted in a hunting pistol, but rather than pull off the night sights, I left them on and carred it with me as it was. Flash forward to now....

Last Sunday, I closed a great deal on a LNIB G20 with standard sights (how great a deal? $400 for the pistol, red-label box & accessories, 2 mags and 15rds HydraShok to boot). I am now interested in building this to be that hunting 10mm that I really wanted. I am considering a 6in aftermarket barrel for it and some finer sights (possibly adjustable). What would the group recommend?

TIA.

2. d13s3l

d13s3l

Jul 12, 2008
    Tx
    well, sights are a personal choice, that being said...
    i like the heinie straight eight & XS small dot

i do not recommend XS big dot for hunting. it covers too much target for me. big dots are good for HD

also check hunting regs where you hunt... i think most are cool w/ 6" barrel,....better safe than sorry

ps nice deal on a g20 :supergrin:

3. I put a pair of Ameriglo ghost rings on. Could not hit the side of a barn. I put the a adjustable OEM on the rear. Still shooting real low. Pulled the front sight of and put the original back on. I may even go back to the original rear sight.

4. 527varmint

527varmint

Aug 9, 2009
    lots of folks like the meprolight adjustables. Think I'll get a set of them. However I am only intersted in self defense from large predators no hunting.

5. Dave T

Dave T

Jan 5, 2000
    Mesa,Arizona,USA
    I put XS Sight Systems 24/7 Standard Dot sights on my G20T.

Dave

6. Meathead9

Meathead9

Aug 23, 2009
    The PRK
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  7. RayRevolver

RayRevolver

Mar 14, 2006
    Jet City USA
    Something like 50% of the top USPSA shooters use Warren Tacticals. I think thats called a clue.:supergrin:

I bought the Warren 2-dots for my G26 and they are very fast. If I could, I would buy them for every pistol I own.

The pros say they work very well at night and I plan to take a low light class this year. The rear lamp is subdued so the front sticks out like crazy.

[​IMG]

The 10-8 Sights are supposed to be pretty good too.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  8. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for all of the suggestions - and if anyone has any more, please continue to post. While I don't need NS, some of those above may cause me to rethink that.

When drawing a fine bead, do all of these colored dots seem to draw you off target or take a lot of time in lining up for precise shots? On my G34, I went with plain black Ameriglos to get away from the typical 'dot in a cup' Glock sights and that seems to help. On my G20 with NS, I seem to get caught up in trying to line the dots up horizontally and never seem to be able to group tightly (I really need to bench it to take me out of the accuracy equation). Since I want to be able to pick my shots on a small target that may be moving SLOWLY through the brush, which sight seems to better fit that need (I am not looking to do a quick draw on a 8 inch target - more of a prepped shot on a 3 inch target)? Thoughts?

9. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Aug 1, 2003
    Indiana!
    I've always been really happy with Heinie Straight-8s and Ameriglo Operators.

10. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA MEMBER

Dec 19, 2007
    SECONUS in HARD TARGET
    As mentioned, Warren Tactical in a straight eight design. I run these on my 20.

11. Meathead9

Meathead9

Aug 23, 2009
    The PRK
    Dawson Precision makes a plain black rear adjustable sight if you're worried about lining up dots. The rear notch is narrower than the stock sights, and the front is even more narrow. For a precision sight, I don't think you can beat it without buying a red dot setup. The warren tacticals are a great combat/competition style sight, but for one shot hunting precision, the Dawson's win hands down. Two different sights, for two completely different purposes.

12. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

Sep 30, 2006
    They are indeed bright outdoors, true; they are bright in near/total darkness. They are much less visible than white dots for indoor /low lighting, however..

13. RayRevolver

RayRevolver

Mar 14, 2006
    Jet City USA
    I have been told this:
    The dots are used at night or low light only. During the day use the sights like you would a sight without dots.

I don't even notice the dots anymore at the range.

EDIT: I didn't read you wanted a hunting sight. Meathead said it right, 1 shot accuracy is a different ballgame.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  14. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the input. Those Dawsons do look nice and would let me adjust to whatever load I settle on. Now to start planning my build budget.

Thanks to everyone else for the feedback too.

15. why

why

Oct 24, 2008
    While this is not my experience, I understand that it is true for some folks. I had a bud that painted the perimeter of his front sight (TG fiber/T3) with white fingernail polish to have the best of all 3 worlds.

16. Angry Fist

Angry Fist The Original® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  17. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Oct 21, 2005
    J-Ville NC
    I set my G20 up with hunting and home protection in mind. It has a 6" LWD bbl and ATS sights...

The Advantage Tactical sights form a pyramid when you align them, this means your front site comes to a fine point, allowing you to "aim small" at a distance. I was able to put 9 rnds into 3 1/2" @ 50yds... a standard 3 shot group probably would have produced roughly 1 1/2-2" group at that distance (from a rest, of course). They come with different inserts to change the clor of the front and rear to suite your needs.

18. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Sep 26, 2007
    NJ/VT
    Does anyone mind posting some more pics? I just started a similar thread (before I saw this one) as I'm looking for a set of sights for my G20sf.

I'll be hunting and using it as a woods gun and want a thin front sight, perhaps a blade with tritium on it? Any suggestions? I do no want a big dot up front. I'm leaning toward the adj. mepros, but would like a smaller dot (or blade) up front. Thanks!

DH