Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

G20 reassembly problem

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by tilefish, Jun 1, 2013.

1. tilefish

Feb 3, 2013
    "High Desert"
    G20, I can't get the slide to go on.

I picked up a new G20 and I was having an issue where I could not get the slide back on no matter what I tried. I could get it almost all the way but it would not budge after a certain point. I took out and put the barrel back in, I was messing with the guide rod and nothing would help. After a little google-fu, I found that others have had a similar problem. I was able to get it on after fiddling with the trigger a bit.

I got it back together and everything was fine, the gun disassembled and reassemble just fine but then it started again. I can work around it but something is not right. If I install the slide until it stops, I then have to move it slightly forward and reset the trigger (for lack of a better description) by getting my finger behind it and pushing it forward. I can then move the slide back a tiny bit further until I hear a click. I can now pull the trigger again and the slide goes back on.

This is really weird, I have a pretty thorough understanding of how the gun works and all I can come up with is that the trigger bar is interfering in some way. Yet when I compare every last part/detail to my G19, I find everything is identical (other than size of course) and nothing looks wrong. Is this possibly related to the trigger bar dimple? I have found a few other instances where folks were experiencing the same issue but there is no clear reason I can find.

This gun is brand new and unfired, other that the test rounds at the factory.
  2. If you look at the barrel where the recoil spring assembly fits to re assemble, try putting the assembly on the notch closer to the barrel.
    I don't know if this is you problem but it happened to me.

3. tilefish

Feb 3, 2013
    "High Desert"
    Yeah, I have been trying that too and it doesn't seem to help. I feel like one of those orange armorers back plates would come real handy right about now.
  4. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    I find it easier to reassemble my new G36 if I push the disconnector toward the center of the frame and allow the trigger mechanism to reset.

You will certainly have a problem if the spring assembly isn't all the way down where it touches the barrel.

5. tilefish

Feb 3, 2013
    "High Desert"
    I think you are hitting on my problem, tell if this sounds right:

Disassemble normally but try to reassemble normally and the slide will not go on...

However if before trying to reassemble I push the trigger forward, I then put the slide on an push back until I hear a "click", I then pull the trigger and it goes the res of the way on and cycles normally.

Does that sound like what you are referring to?
  6. Do you have the mag out? Don't think it will go back on with the mag in.

Just throwing ideas out.
  7. tilefish

Feb 3, 2013
    "High Desert"
    Yup, mag is out. This is definitely odd.

The only thing I do know is that the trigger bar/assembly is interfering in some way. Maybe I should just put a box or two of ammo through it and see if it un-screws itself up lol.

Could it be the trigger dimple? I see that the Gen 3 models (which this is) are now shipping with the dimple on the bar... I just picked this gun up yesterday and the test fire date on the case envelope is two weeks ago, 5/16/13
  8. bentbiker

bentbiker NRA Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    With the slide off, point the muzzle end toward the floor and then push in on the firing pin safety plunger and release. This will hold the FP in the forward position and the plunger will stay depressed. Now put the slide back on and the trigger bar won't hang up on the plunger. After you get some more rounds through the gun this will probably not be necessary. Don't assemble after pulling the trigger forward as this puts unnecessary strain on the trigger safety, the trigger housing, and the cruciform, as the cruciform is in upper level of the housing and the lug on the FP must push it down to get past it.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
    Green Mountain Boy likes this.
  9. tilefish

Feb 3, 2013
    "High Desert"
    Thanks man, you just solved it. I tried it about ten times and it works perfectly. I think this beast just needs a little break-in. I can sleep easy tonight knowing that my new black tupperware is in good shape.

I appreciate all of you folks helping me think through it.
  10. glockman99

glockman99 Millennium Member

Jul 1, 1999
    Hoquiam, WA USA
    Have you checked to see if by chance, you have a NY-1 trigger spring installed? The NY-1 trigger spring can cause exactly what you describe. I have the NY-1 trigger spring and 3.5 lb. connector in my G21, and to remove the slide, I have to pull the trigger once, then again (and hold it pressed) after the slide has gone past the slide lock.
  11. RioFubeca

Jan 18, 2012
    was running into this same issue. was driving me nuts till i found this thread! thanks for the info
  12. gatorboy

Jul 26, 2001
    It's pretty nice
    My G4 23 is the only Glock I have had an issue with i push the slide on as far as it goes and the pull the trigger forward about 1/16" and it goes on as it should and resets the trigger.
  13. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

My Gen4 20 does this as well and I didn't know what the issue was. Now I know.
  14. G19MN

Jan 22, 2008
    Mpls MN
    I've got a Gen 4 G19that does the same thing-thanks for the thread!
  15. nraman

Dec 9, 2002
    I had it happen.
    Sometimes the safety hole can be a bit rough.
    After a few rounds it gets better, or you can polish it lightly.
  16. Obgjedi

Dec 20, 2015
    Thanks guys awesome info, l just got a new g20 for Christmas and had the slide hang up on reassembly, watched a million you tube videos and could not figure out what I was doing wrong . Now I don't have to worry that I got a lemon Glock or I was a complete idiot. Merry Christmas to all