close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G20 FTF issues with Underwood Ammo

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MisterMark, Jun 13, 2012.

1. MisterMark

MisterMark

My G20 has about 150 rounds through it. Works every time with Federal ammo.

Bought some underwood ammo and I am getting a failure to feed. Specific sequence of events:

1. I fire a round
    2. Slide locked partially open
    3. I see the next round has moved slightly out of the magazine but is at a slight angle and is stopping the slide from going fully forward.
    4. If I then rack the slide, the round chambers and I can shoot normally a few more rounds.

My guess is that I am limpwristing it, but I am a fairly big guy and have a firm grip (or so I thought).

Is it the ammo?

Is firing the round that didn't feed dangerous?

2. dpadams6

dpadams6

Is your 20 all stock, or have aftermarket parts?

3. MisterMark

MisterMark

All stock. Not even changing the sights until I am 100% sure of the gun as is.

4. Bello

Bello America/Italia

Your limp writing the beastly 10mm underwood ammo is very warm 10mm.

5. Meathead9

Meathead9

You may need to get a stronger recoil spring. I had similar issues shooting some stout reloads with the stock RSA. I think my issue was that the slide was moving so fast during recoil, that the extractor was blowing right past the case rim. The empty case would extract sometimes, but the next round wouldn't chamber. When I looked to see what was causing the FTF, I saw that my extractor claw was completely behind the next round. I had to smack the back of the slide to get it into battery. I switched to a 22# ISMI setup, and I haven't had a single failure since.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  6. MisterMark

MisterMark

How is that spring with standard factory loads?

I am hitting the range this Saturday and will focus on grip and making sure I present a firm platform for the pistol to operate on, and if it keeps happening I just may try the spring upgrade.

7. Meathead9

Meathead9

I have loaded and shot some rediculously WEAK 10mm 180gr rounds (180gr JHP/5.3gr W231/1.26") with the 22# ISMI, and it even functioned my Heavy A** G20LS slide. The brass dropped right at my feet, but I had zero failures. For reference, that load chrono'd 950fps out of a 6" barrel (probably 850fps or so in a stock barrel).

8. drsjr1969

drsjr1969 "10mm ammo" FB

I have chronographed just about all the 10mm from Underwood in the stock set-up 17 lb spring and 4.6 glock barrel. Never a problem. I also use a 22 lb spring but generally that only goes in when I use my 6 inch barrel and still no problems feeding ammo.

Maybe one of your magazines is a little off?

"10mm ammo" find this page on Facebook

9. MisterMark

MisterMark

Maybe, but it is a factory mag.

Leaning strongly towards limpwristing the gun as the cause. Might take a friend along and have him run a magazine through it and see if he gets different results.

10. scosgt

scosgt

The next time it happens, take a good look before you clear it. I would bet the slide stop lever is holding the slide open. Despite some of the pundits here, you may not be hitting it with your thumb, it may be hit by the next round up.
    Replace the SSL and the problem should disappear.
    Yes, it is ammo related. The heads on that ammo may be just wide enough to clip the lever on the way up, OR the cases may be slightly narrower allowing the rounds to "bounce" on the way up, again hitting the inside of the lever.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  11. dpadams6

dpadams6

I've had the exact opposite. Every time i shoot my 20 and 29 with a wolff 22 and 21 lb. spring i get at least one ftf every range trip. With stock rsa, never a problem.

12. Meathead9

Meathead9

I'm sure it has everything to do with the fact that I'm shooting a G20LS. My Solid Top Longslide weighs about 4oz more than a factory G20 slide, which is approximately 21% heavier. It's still strange that we have had such drastically different experiences though.

13. 03Cobra

03Cobra

I had a similar problem with the first 200 rounds with my 20 (only use underwood ammo), but it cleared up now and I haven't had any problems recently - all stock here.

14. dpadams6

dpadams6

That could be. Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me how many here on gt have this opposite experiance. I really think its probably better for the longevity of the gun to use the stronger rsa. But I just don't trust mine enough right now to use the stronger rsa for ccw. Go figure.

15. Meathead9

Meathead9

I'm with you on that. I'd never carry anything other than a stock Glock, so I'd never run ammo that doesn't function 100% with the factory RSA. Both the Winchester 175gr Silver Tip & Underwood's 180gr/1200fps load have more than enough power for SD/Carry, and both have zero problems feeding in a stock G20SF.

16. dkf

dkf

Get out the caliper and compare measurements of the Underwood ammo to the Federal ammo that functions fine.

17. MisterMark

MisterMark

Had a magazine fire fine, then about halfway through the second magazine I got this

jam.JPG