G19 vs. Walther PPQ, SP 2022, and SR9

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by MadCityJack, Apr 4, 2012.

1. My wife, a lefty, adopted my G-19 Gen 4 and we accommodated with a switch of the mag release. I learned to release it effectively with my "middle" finger, so all is good there for sharing the G-19. I am considering another G-19. However, because of problems with "errant" brass before I swapped out the ejector (much less of a problem, but still taking hot brass on occasion), I am considering other 9 mm manufacturers. Really, I can live with the brass issue, it might just be fun to have another type of 9mm.

I've narrowed the field. I would appreciate any thoughts on the relative merits of G-19 vs. Walther PPQ (like the trigger reset), SP 2022 (quite a value for a sig I hear, but long first shot DA), or Ruger SR9 (don't like all the safeties--at least in theory)? Unfortunately, I can't range test all of these where I shoot. Thank you!

Uses: target, HD.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

The Sig s a great value. I'd stay with the Glock.

A. The Gen 3 G19 is well proven, the Gen 4 is getting there.
    B. Much more aftermarket stuff (sights, holsters, triggers, etc) to add if you want
    C. I know people like it but I wonder how long the PPQ will be around before being discontinued.
    D. Have you fired these guns, what is good for one may not before another.
    E. The DA can be annoying for the Sig and for HD do you want to have it loaded and stored on SA with no thumb safety/grip safety (1911), trigger safety, drop safety, firing pin safety (Glocks)
    F. Do you want a manual safety gun like the SR9 has?

:50cal:

#2 TSAX, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  3. If you already have a G19 I'd get the PPQ, as long as you're ok with the short reset trigger (personally I'm not a fan).

4. I haven't handled a PPQ yet, but they have been getting awesome reviews.

I love the SP2022 and G19.

5. BuckyP

Lifetime Member

Wouldn't it be better for your wife to adopt hitting the magazine release with her shooting hand? That way she can pick up the majority of the guns and would be similar?

That being said, the PPQ has the appeal of a true ambi magazine release. The PPQ is very likely to be my next purchase.

#5 BuckyP, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  6. PPQ no doubt in my mind!
    I have owned or at least fired all the guns you mention and the only one I now own is the PPQ.
    I will add that I HATE DA/SA triggers...

#6 45caldan, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  7. elde

Lifetime Member

I have all of the guns in question. The answer is a no-brainer IMO - get the PPQ.

8. If, when you shoot, you wear both quality full coverage eye protection and a pulled-down ball cap, the occasional-brass-in-the-face issue is of minor importance.

9. Appreciate your point, but doing all I can to support her entry into shooting world. I found releasing the G19 really not a problem with my shooting hand. The mag release on the PPQ is unique, the styling a bit different, but the trigger and overall balance felt really fine. How is the recoil, muzzle rise?

10. I have a G19 3rd Gen and an old one. I think it is ridiculous that the new one ejects the brass right at your face. On the range brass to the face should be a non issue because you should be wearing eye protection. You should not have to wear a hat to keep your forehead from bleeding though. Poor design changes

#10 fran m, Apr 5, 2012
  11. TERRIBLE. The PPQ with it's extremely high bore axis is not for the novice or inexperienced shooter. Unless you have good form, a LOT of training and experience, you should stay away from the PPQ.

The mag release takes a couple magazines to get used to, although it will trim your split times. And the trigger, my goodness, it's too good. Imagine going to court with a trigger that sweet. It's an assassins weapon, and a life sentence for sure.

Stay away from the PPQ.

And that short trigger reset is not for personal defense (although reset used to be a Glockophiles dream feature) because it can cause it to discharge a full magazine before you reign it in. Imagine needing to shoot 3 rounds, and end up shooting 15. WOW!! Imagine what a DA would do with that.

Stay away from the PPQ.

Besides, the PPQ is getting hard to find.

#11 Rooster Rugburn, Apr 5, 2012
  12. I hate being "that guy", but I don't want you to get stuck with a PPQ based on faulty information. That PPQ doesn't have a safety. Not many assassins weapons do.

13. The ppq and p99 are ergo nightmares and much like HK P30,s . I don,t know what the Germans are thinking with Walthers and Hk,s. What dogs of handguns. Yes the trigger reset is way to lite on the Walthers. Stick with the Sigs and Glocks there proven many times over. For those who are in harms way there holsters are filled with Glocks ,Sigs,berrettas not the less than 5% percentage of Walthers and HK,s if its that much.

#13 fowler, Apr 5, 2012
  14. have to address these as posted by TSA.

C. seriously? the walther ppq will be around a long time, walther took the pedigree of the p99 and updated it. lot more positive feedback on p99-->ppq than glock gen3-->gen4. walther has a long history of making great guns, no reason to think they will pack up and go away.

D. shooting as many different guns as possible to get a feel is always encouraged, i agree.

E. wtf? who even considers having a da/sa sig stored loaded and cocked for hd? loaded, decocked/hammer down, ready to go. da/sa pistols are still great, one must train on their chosen platform. striker fired pistols have not made the da/sa obsolete, look at how many sigs, hk's, fn's, etc. are sold, shot and carried daily.

F. some people feel safer with a manual safety but, again, it is all about training.

TSA, stick with your glocks, leave the fanboy feedback in gg. let others who own, shoot, and know the benefits and drawbacks of different platforms help the op.

15. I have a G19 3rd Gen and an old one. I think it is ridiculous that the new one ejects the brass right at your face. On the range brass to the face should be a non issue because you should be wearing eye protection. You should not have to wear a hat to keep your forehead from bleeding though. Poor design changes

16. I have a G19 3rd Gen and an old one. I think it is ridiculous that the new one ejects the brass right at your face. On the range brass to the face should be a non issue because you should be wearing eye protection. You should not have to wear a hat to keep your forehead from bleeding though. Poor design changes.

17. BuckyP

Lifetime Member

My duh, I meant mag release. True ambi (as in ambi all the time) vs. reversible ala Beretta, 4th Gen Glock Etc.

18. I admire your troll; very persistent. Having owned all the brands you have mentioned, it makes me wonder if you know what "ergonomic" really means. The PPQ and p30 are two of the most ergonomic pistols ever made. Two of the most comfortable in hand. You may not like how they look, but they are two of the more ergonomically superior pistols... Personally, the PPQ fits my hand better than the P30, but both have fantastic ergos.

19. The Glock fan boys are getting worried and desperate. Glock keeps making the same old tired design worse, and other companies are innovating.

The P99 has been around since the mid 90's, and with Walther seemingly not even interested in the US market, be it consumer or LE.

The P99 is a better pistol than a Glock. Now, the PPQ is even better than the P99, and the latest generation Glock seems to be falling on it's face.

The PPQ isn't going to go away any time soon. Even though I doubt Walther will be any more interested in the US market with the PPQ than they were with the P99.

I picked up a Glock 23 after shooting nothing but PPQ's for a while, and I couldn't believe how nasty it felt in my hand. It was like holding a block of wood. Those poor Glock fan boys don't have a clue how comfortable a pistol can be.

20. Try to cut him some slack. I was blowing smoke and BS with my post, and I assumed he was too.

The PPQ is a damn fine pistol, but I don't have to have the validation of others to support my preference.