close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G19 vs P30. Yes, someone is cross-shop between the two!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JesS2K, Feb 12, 2012.

1. JesS2K

JesS2K Guest

Hey,

I've been eyeing G19( gen4) and P30. I had a gen3 G19 before, best glock I've ever had, even compare to G34. I had couple of USP, but never P30.

I know the gap in price is wide. I can almost get 2 G19 for that. This will be my everything gun, meaning, CCW, range, nightstand, SHTF, zombie, etc gun. If you can only have one handgun for the unforeseen future, which of these would it be?

I'm also open to G17&P30L comparison as well.

Thank you!

2. .50 cal

.50 cal

which do you shoot better? the 19 and P30 fill all tasks and the 17 and P30L are not going to be as much fun to CC everyday

3. bc5000

bc5000

Is that you scarface? :wavey: :supergrin:

I'll have say to say the G19. If the HK was striker fire, I would say HK because I like the way it feels and I like the mag release.

4. JesS2K

JesS2K Guest

I've never shot a P30, that's why I'd like to find out.

I just wanna know which one shoots better. For example, I've shot a P2000 before, and to me, it shoots worst than a USP. I wanna know where P30 stands.

5. garflys

garflys

19 and the rest on ammo and night sights.

6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

As nice as the P30 is, if you really like Glocks I'd say get the 19.

My issues with the P30:

- long grip yet has same capacity
    - the slide lock levers are HUGE
    - the slide lock lever on the right rattles. An $800 gun shouldn't rattle.
    - over 3 ounces heavier

On the + side for the 30:

- Slide is easy to rack
    - LEM trigger is great for carry
    - Unbelievably good feeling grip
    - It's an HK!

The 19 is just plain easier to carry. Mags are much cheaper. etc etc

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  7. barth

barth six barrels

[​IMG]

8. JesS2K

JesS2K Guest

Bc5000 :wavey:

You are on FN, right?

9. dcowboyscr

dcowboyscr

Get the best of both worlds.............Walther PPQ.

10. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

Well I haven't had a Glock for very long (about a week now -1300 rounds fired with it), but I feel that as someone who has owned both a P30 and a G19, I owe you some input.

My very first gun (real gun, not Walther P22....) was an H&K P30 9mm. This is it the day I brought it home from the store about 3 years ago:

[​IMG]

The backstory here is that the reality of my dangerous job came uncomfortably close one day about 3 years ago, and as a result, I decided I wanted to get a CCW gun to protect myself. I had a good friend that worked at a local shooting range/store and sought his advice on the issue. I spent about 2 hours with him talking about the various options of what I want versus what I need, etc. etc. He, as he reminded me recently, was a big fan of Glock. He carried a 19 on his hip and showed it to me that day, proclaiming it as "the best all around pistol you can buy". Well, I held it and was not too happy with how the grips felt. They felt bulky. He offered to let me shoot it for free, but I declined. I looked at some Sigs, and then a Beretta, and then finally an H&K 2000. The P30s were "just in" (this was a few months after their initial release) and he said, "aside from the price, there was really no downside to these pistols". The range at this time didn't have a P30 for rent, so the option of shooting it before buying it was out of the question.

I held it and I liked the ergonomics of the grip. It seemed like a manageable first pistol. I purchased it right there and took it into the range to test it out.
    My first impressions were mixed. It kicked a lot more than I thought it would (remember this is my first experience shooting a 9mm), but the grip was sooo comfortable. I was happy.

Skip ahead 2 years later. I've carried my P30 on my job pretty regularly. I've gone to the range countless times and shot several other types of pistols. I had put about 2k-3k rounds through the P30 at this point with no failures or malfunctions of any kind.
    However, probably due to the exposure I had to other kinds of pistols, and the fact that I had become at bit more aware of what I wanted out of a gun, I began to dislike the P30. From a purely analytical standpoint, the P30 was a great gun; well made, had no failures and fantastic ergonomics. But there was one thing, which was a big thing, that just kept bugging me: the TRIGGER.
    I don't want to say it had creep, but it was soft. Very soft. You would think after ~2500 rounds I would know where the break point was, but I never did. I also felt like I didn't shoot very well with it. I would pick up my friends Beretta 92 or my other friends XD and be grouping well, and then I'd go back to my gun and be all over the place. I realized then, regrettably after spending $900 on a pistol, that I wanted something different.

I ended up with a Sig P226E2 a few months later, which is a GREAT range gun, but not ideal for self-defense. I put about 4k rounds through that and, after a lot of research on the interwebz, understood that a GLOCK was what I was looking for. I rented a few, talked to some friends, and ended up buying this Gen4 19 a week ago:

[​IMG]

As of right now, if I had to choose again, I'd wish I had just started with a Glock.

11. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

The Glock shoots about 751,830 times better than a P30.

12. bc5000

bc5000

M4Carbine

13. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I disagree that the 30 has a lot of kick. No 9mms I have kick more than Glocks do. Not that it's horrible, it's all just relative, but Glocks, IMO, don't mitigate recoil as well as HK or S&W.

14. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

Interesting. My experience has been the exact opposite. I follow-up so much better with the 19 than with the P30. I think the bore axis on the P30 is too high for such a small barrel.

15. hallnh727

hallnh727

Walther PPQ

ergos of the HK, striker fired like the glock and can be had for the price of a glock

16. TnGlocker12

TnGlocker12

^^^This. I own two Glocks, but I think the Walther PPQ 9mm is just as good or better. The reviews say that the trigger pull is awesome. They can be had for close to the same price as the Glocks.

17. DubfromGA

DubfromGA

This!

18. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I can shoot both about the same speed. The big difference I notice is when I shoot one-handed. The G19 just flips upward something ridiculous.

19. deeHKman

deeHKman "It Is Written"

For AIWB carry never a PPQ or any striker fired gun. The only similar part of the P30 and G19 is 9mm. I shoot TDA gun's much better. Just buy the one you shoot the best! Over the long term and a life saving tool money should be not in the equation imo.

20. JesS2K

JesS2K Guest

Thanks everyone for your honest reply and awesome insight!!!

I am well aware of the different between two system. I don't mind any type of trigger, strike fire or drop hammer. it's just a matter of getting use to and training, hance only one handgun. Give me a thousand round down range and I'll be good with any. It's the felt recoil, shoot ability, and reliability that I am after.

Perhaps I should tell you more about my limited experience with a number of handguns. Here's each one of them listed out from best to worst in each category;

Softest, fastest shooting
    - Sig X5 Comp
    - STI EDGE
    - M&P 9
    - USP 9 w/ LEM

Most accurate
    - Sig X5 Comp
    - STI EDGE
    - G19
    - M&P 9

Middle of the road
    - G17
    - G34
    - P7M8
    - USP 9 w/ LEM or V1
    - FS92
    - P226

Worst felt recoil
    - P99
    - P2000
    - P229
    - P250
    - EMP 9

Easy to conceal
    - P99
    - G19
    - M&P 9
    - P7M8
    I never actually carry P250 nor EMP 9.

Like many people, I can completely break down Glock in less than 5 minutes and work on any parts by myself. Now, It isn't the same with any other guns. Now, the issues Gen4 G19 I've herd, makes it more like luck of a draw for the G19 now a day. The "Cheap and reliable, bet on GLock" of the old days is no longer applied. You might get lucky, you might not, and that's where a high ticket, better quality manufacture like HK comes in. I just don't wanna have to deal with fixing, and shipping, and the wait, and all that. Remember, this will be my ONLY handgun. No, I haven't had my mind made up yet, as you can see, I like G19 very much in many categories as well.

Since I have shot G19 before, I guess what I really want to know is if the P30, an old whiskey in a new bottle? If it shoots like P2000, I'm gonna have to pass since I really hate the sharp recoil of the P2000. It reminds me of Walther P99 I had( the reason why I never thought of PPQ).

Thanks y'all