close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

G19 recoil spring slippage with dry fire

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by PhotoFeller, Jan 23, 2013.

1. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

Nov 18, 2010
    SW Florida
    My G19 Gen 3 has performed well (0 malfunctions) during 500 or so rounds. I've noticed, however, that after dry firing less than 10 times without a mag in place, the recoil spring end slips out of the half moon seat cut into the barrel lug. The spring end moves just slightly higher on the barrel lug. I haven't fired the gun recently, so I don't know if function is affected.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this spring movement. If yes, what causes it, what effect does it have on function (if any) and what is needed to fix it (if anything)?

Thanks.

2. Scott30

Scott30

Dec 8, 2006
    Central VA
    Completely normal. The RSA sits in the lower half moon for assembly purposes and then moves up when the slide is racked.

3. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

Nov 18, 2010
    SW Florida
    My sincere thanks for the quick response and the good news. I knew GT experts would know the answer.

I haven't seen this topic discussed before, and I'm surprised lots of folks haven't raised the question. Anyway, thanks.

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    The question is asked several times a month. Consider the half-moon cutout the reassembly position only.

5. BenjiEDF

BenjiEDF

Jun 15, 2012
    This has been happening on my gen 4 27... it's annoying because when I take it down I'm getting some wear on the frame. So far no malfunctions when shooting or anything though.

6. AustinTx

AustinTx

Aug 16, 2006
    Tx
    I'm surprised that folks can't find it. I think, search still works.

7. rimshaker

rimshaker

Feb 16, 2012
    And to make field stripping easier just in case the RSA is loose inside, just remove the slide with the gun turned upside down.

8. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

Nov 18, 2010
    SW Florida
    I'm sure it works great if you put in the right search words. I didn't have any luck, so after 4 or 5 tries I took the lazy way out.

Thanks for the folks who helped with my question. Sorry to the Search Sheriff for giving up on the system.

This little design quirk (RSA movement) seems like a potential reliability issue if the RSA slips off of the barrel lug completely. I take it that happens sometimes.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  9. Copis

Copis

Dec 30, 2007
    It's not a design quirk

10. rimshaker

rimshaker

Feb 16, 2012
    Exactly. The sole purpose of the RSA locking into the barrel lug is so the barrel doesn't fall out during reassembly with the frame.

After assembly, if the RSA happens to slip totally out of the barrel lug, that's 100% fine. Its sole purpose during shooting is to rest up against the half-circle plastic piece that sits between the slide lock and slide lock spring.

11. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

Nov 18, 2010
    SW Florida
    Thanks. Forgive my ignorance about Glock design mechanics and help me understand your post.

I thought the RSA's primary purpose is to return the slide to battery after firing. I understood the spring also serves to absorb recoil. Thus, I reasoned, the RSA would have to be remain in contact with the barrel lug.

Does the RSA function as I described above when it is "...rest[ing] up against the half-circle plastic piece that sits between the slide lock and slide lock spring."? What is the half-circle plastic piece called? Is it a separate piece identified on the Glock parts drawing?

12. Dave.1

Dave.1

Dec 12, 2009
    Colorado
  13. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

Nov 18, 2010
    SW Florida
    Dave- Seeing the animation makes a huge difference in understanding Glock mechanics. Many thanks for the tip.

14. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I have been dry-firing my G17 for decades. I have never had such a problem.

15. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

Nov 18, 2010
    SW Florida
    SC- Are you saying the RSA is always engaged with the barrel lug when you take the slide off?

My RSA has never come completely off of the lug in battery, but it does migrate upward out of the half moon to a different resting place on the lug.

I had never noticed this happening before, but I probably wasn't paying attention.