close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

G19 or G26 for carry?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by taffbanjo, Jan 19, 2013.

1. taffbanjo

taffbanjo

Dec 27, 2012
    Essex UK
    I am not a big man by American standards (6 feet, 180 lbs) and would like members' views on the merits of CCWing a G26 or G19 in a warm State like TN, where clothing is likely to be light most of the year.

I know I could have both, but I would prefer to have two of one of them rather than one of each - it's a muscle memory thing.

Do I go for capacity or for small size? I can shoot either quite adequately.

2. "Cold Dead Hands" !

"Cold Dead Hands" !

Feb 19, 2009
    Both are great guns !
    One of each would be nice.
    G19 conceals easy enough for most situations, and is better in a gun fight.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. taffbanjo

taffbanjo

Dec 27, 2012
    Essex UK
    [quote="Cold Dead Hands" !;19884104]Both are great guns !
    One of each would be nice.
    G19 conceals easy enough for most situations, and is better in a gun fight.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire[/quote]

Thanks for this - they are great, aren't they, and if either were the only one I could ever own, I wouldn't feel undergunned.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  4. Lowjiber

Lowjiber

Jan 26, 2012
    Las Vegas
    I live in a pretty warm state too. I EDC my G26 IWB and love it.

My G19 sits in the safe hoping to get to go to the range. Problem is that I shoot the 26 every bit as well as the 19.:whistling:

5. billn

billn

Jul 1, 2012
    I like carrying the G26. In a pinch it fits inside my front pockets.

6. taffbanjo

taffbanjo

Dec 27, 2012
    Essex UK
    Thanks - that's the big problem, isn't it? They both shoot so very well. As I have no intention of living in a gangland ghetto, I'm more than half convinced that if I couldn't get the job done with 10 + 1 (OK, plus another 10) I would be way out of my league, anyway.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  7. taffbanjo

taffbanjo

Dec 27, 2012
    Essex UK
    You'd need biggish pockets. I don't like cargo pants but a big Winter coat might well fit the bill, with a decent holster.

Thanks for that.

8. amorican88

amorican88

Feb 11, 2011
    Iowa
    I have both the 19 & 26. I originally planned to carry the 26 only in the summer, when its hot. I ended up liking the ease of concealment the 26 gives, so I pretty much carry it all year. I do carry a 15rd. backup mag in my pocket. The Crossbreed Supertuck is a great IWB holster for both pistols. My .02 worth.

9. up1911fan

up1911fan

Mar 12, 2009
    Upper Michigan
    I've spent a decent amount of time carrying a G17/19/26. I've come to prefer the G19 for 90% of my carry need's.

10. taffbanjo

taffbanjo

Dec 27, 2012
    Essex UK
    This is what could happen to me but I was always trained (British Army), to find a weapon you could shoot well, get a spare, then practise until it became part of you. I don't like redundant equipment - just my personal taste, and I would hate the idea of "the other gun" sobbing in a gun safe while I spent all my time with the one I eventually chose.

That was the reason I started this thread - I think both G26 and G19 are terrific.

This is all hypothetical at the moment - as I'm a Brit living in the UK, I can't currently own a hand gun anyway. It has always been my ambition to retire to the US, probably TN, as all of my interests are on your side of the pond. It may take some time but there's nothing wrong with preparation - and you have to keep the dream alive.

The Cross Breed is pretty good, but I've got my eye on an N8² Tactical Professional.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  11. Colddeadhands

Colddeadhands

Feb 13, 2009
    I have a G17 and a G26. I bought the 17 a few years ago; I decided that either a G19 or G17 was too big for me for CCW, so I got the 17 to have a nice full sized gun to train with. Just bought the G26 for CCW, to complement my Kel Tec PF9.

While I admire and recognize the G19 as a great weapon, it is not a CCW piece for my size (150 lbs, 5,8") and my lifestyle. I'd probably be better of with a smaller mouse gun (.32, .380) for concealement purposes....but I prefer the horsepower that a 9mm offers (please let's not make this another "bigger bullet" debate).....

12. taffbanjo

taffbanjo

Dec 27, 2012
    Essex UK
    Oh, dear! Just when I was edging towards the G26!

Why the G19 particularly - LEO, bad neighbourhood, cold State, or do you just like the feel of it?

13. I own both guns and live in a warm weather climate all year around. I generally carry my G19 all the time as I find it is an easy size to conceal (only benefit to having some side meat!) with more than enough capacity. I personally love both but my G26 usually stays in my vehicle as a backup.

14. James Dean

James Dean

Jan 31, 2010
    East of Eden
    I own both. IMO a G26 is a better CC gun. If I could only own one it would be the G26. A G26 for CC and some G19 or G17 mags for home.

15. taffbanjo

taffbanjo

Dec 27, 2012
    Essex UK
    Ah - a normal sized human (when I served with GIs in NATO, at 6 feet and 180, I was the section midget). I can see that you would tend towards the smaller guns, particularly for CCW.

A .380 will get the job done if you put it in the right place,as will most calibres (forgive my Brit spelling!) but I was born and raised with 9mm and I KNOW it gets the job done. With modern SD ammo, the difference in calibres is pretty much hypothetical anyway - it's all about where you put it (or THEM, preferably).

16. onearmsteve

onearmsteve

Jan 15, 2013
    south carolina
    g26 and a tactical cut crossroads iwb and love it

17. taffbanjo

taffbanjo

Dec 27, 2012
    Essex UK
    Quite a common combo, and not a bad idea. I'm trying to strike a balance between preparedness and paranoia. Besides, the G17 and G19 mags would ruin the pretty lines of the G26. That's right, people, I said PRETTY - I really do think that Glocks are good-looking. Can't understand people who think they're ugly!

18. taffbanjo

taffbanjo

Dec 27, 2012
    Essex UK
    Also a good combo. Decisions, decisions! Happily, or sadly, rather, I'll have a fair bit of time to make up my mind.

19. taffbanjo

taffbanjo

Dec 27, 2012
    Essex UK
    Thank you for your thoughts, people - not a bad idea in any of them.

It will probably end up being a couple of G26s with the GAP mag floor plates and a N8² Tactical Professional rig. I might also get a G17 mag, or six, to spread around the house and the car's glove compartment.

So far so good. All I need now is lots of money and a kindly glance from your nice US Immigration people. Not a lot to ask, surely?

20. Rev.357

Rev.357

Jan 14, 2012
    Heath Springs SC
    I'll say this, my G32 is the same size as the G19 & I carry it 90% of the time IWB. I carry my G26 on my ankle most every Sunday but, once u carry the G26 IWB you will love it!