close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

G17 returns from Glock. Is it fixed?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bha0198, Feb 12, 2013.

Tags:
  1. bha0198

bha0198

Dec 22, 2012
    ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1360726551.696055.jpg

I got my Glock back from Georgia today. I sent it in because of the dreaded BTF was serious on my G17 gen 4.

I haven't had time to take it to the range, and won't until this weekend. But these are the only descriptive words on the paper they sent with it.

Do you think "upgraded" means they changed anything on it???

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

2. AR15 guy

AR15 guy

Feb 26, 2005
    WV
    That looks better than what S&W sent me about my 15-22.

It said

"upgraded to spec"
    "upgraded to spec"
    "upgraded to spec"

Whatever that means...

3. bustedknee

bustedknee Curmudgeon

Aug 1, 2001
    Wythe County, VA
    I thought "upgraded to spec" was a Latin term for "stop limpwristing"!

:laughabove:
    Go on and laugh.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  4. bha0198

bha0198

Dec 22, 2012
    Hardy-har har hahaha

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    I had the same problem with a G19 Gen3. Sent back twice and not fixed in my opinion, still got brass to forehead.
    After 7,000 more rounds the problem has almost disappeared. :dunno:

6. drakenn

drakenn

Feb 11, 2013
    My 19 tends to kick brass into the face of the person in the lane beside me... clear over the divider.

7. bha0198

bha0198

Dec 22, 2012
  8. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    Hopefully the range session will go well.

9. bha0198

bha0198

Dec 22, 2012
  10. pat701

pat701

Feb 2, 2005
    Beyond OZ
    You should expect/get a NIB firearm that runs right, no matter what brand it is.

11. bha0198

bha0198

Dec 22, 2012
    UPDATE: Just got off the phone with Glock. They pulled up my account, said they ran 4 magazines through it with no issues. He also noted that I'm shooting that bulk box of ammo pictured above with 115 grain, and that the Gen 4 Glock's are made to handle 124 grain or higher because they were produced to be a military pistol.

So now I decide if I try to just buy higher grain (more expensive) ammo, or trade my Gen 4 in for a Gen 3....

12. That's a very interesting response from Glock. My gen4's ejected very erratic too when I got them, even when I shot expensive SD ammo and NATO rounds through it. The funny thing is, they all stoped doing that when I started replacing extractors.

I quickly realized that one can't/shouldn't trust those monkeys/employees working at Glock. That's why I fixed them myself.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  13. bha0198

bha0198

Dec 22, 2012
    I'm relatively new to Glocks and firearms in general. How hard is replacing the extractor and how much do they run?

14. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

Jan 12, 2013
    Sorta like: pee on you; you non-military shooting person. Shoot 124gr or higher ammo (if you can find it) and see if it ejects as it should.

15. intenseneal

intenseneal

Jan 10, 2013
    My Glock ejects the shells pretty much straight out, or it did at least before I got a new trigger housing need to go back to range and test it out. My is also a G23 Gen 2 so that make be another animal all together with the way it ejects .

16. Stock extractors run for ~ $19. I had best results with the original Glock extractors with an # "2" stamp on it, those fixed all my problems immediately. Some had more luck with different numbered extractors. It's like gambling, but definitely worth trying if you don't want to deal with incompetent Glock employees (not all are incompetent) and if you like working on your guns.

It's not that hard to strip the slide, but there are things which can be messed up by detail stripping the slide. There are important safety features in the slide which can be easily disabled if you put it together wrong. There are some good videos on youtube to learn from. But be careful, there are sources on the internet on how to detail strip the slide which are not worth reading or watching.

17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

If all you sent was the gun, you fixed the wrong part.

18. TTex

TTex Cannon Fodder

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisiana
    Factory non-dipped extractor seems to have taken care of the problem with my wifes G19.

19. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    It won't do any good to trade for a late model Gen 3, they have the same problem.

You might try the Apex extractor, many users are claiming great success:
    https://apextactical.com/store/product-list.php?pg1-cid22.html

It's good to see that Apex has a Gen 3 extractor. I might want to buy one.

Replacing the extractor isn't difficult. There are YouTube videos re: slide disassembly/reassembly all over the place.

Just be careful that the springs go in properly.

EDIT: OOPS! The Apex Gen 3 extractor is only for 9mm guns so it won't help me.

Richard

20. cripes7

cripes7

Apr 2, 2009
    If you have an early GEN4 that does not have the specific GEN4 connector, ejector, and recoil spring, they they upgrade them to the newest part. The ejector makes a big difference. They are not going to test fire it, find bad ejection, and return it. Sometimes something simple as changing ammo makes a huge difference. The thin skinned people that take offense to suggestions are never going to be happy. If it indeed does continue to happen to you recontact them. They will replace the gun if they have to. Give it a chance first, though.