close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

G17 gen 4 + Light jam

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by slukatr, Aug 28, 2010.

1. slukatr

slukatr

Aug 11, 2010
    I was at range thuesday and it seems that my new gen4 G17 jam with the light attached... my grip was really firm so i don't think it's me, cause without the M3 light the gun performed well. Anybody experienced the same? has Glock transfered the G22 problem to the G17...Gosh!
    I've seen that the empty cases are deformed on the top, and not so with my gen 3 which performed without a single problem with the light...
    I will try again next week, the gen 4 has 450 trough her and mostly FIOCCHI 115GR FMJ which are hotter than standard ammo.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    My Gen4 G17 and Gen4 G19 work just fine with the Glock tactical light attached. I've never tried an M-3.

It is not your Fiocchi ammo, that is for sure.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010

3. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 NRA Benefactor

Feb 24, 2007
    Sumter, S.C.
    What recoil spring setup do you have, the new "updated" less power one? I'm curious if so. Maybe the first spring that GLOCK sent out was the right one? I remember that the issue with the older G22 was the recoil spring was not powerfull enough. Now that GLOCK puts out the newer spring with less power for the G17 Gen 4 because people would complain and not use the recommended ammo that GLOCK states, there now maybe a issue with a light attached.

I'm just curious about that. I have my Gen4 17 with the original spring still, been shooting 147gr and never had an issue. I may have to put on my light and see at the range.

DannyR you still have the original (higher power) spring in yours, right?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  4. DannyR

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Yes, I have an 01 spring in the 17 and an 03 spring in the 19. The Streamlights often cause problems when tightened too tightly. I just don't know about the M-3's. Factory lights seem to work fine.

5. DRT

DRT

May 6, 2001
    USA
    Key takeaways particularly if you want to run a quality weapon light: If you want a 9mm then get a gen 3. If you want .40 then get a gen4 (or put a 20# spring in a gen3).

6. Noponer

Noponer

Apr 5, 2006
    North Georgia
    What do you mean, Danny?

My Streamlight M-3 does not have a tightening feature... it slides on - click - & that's it.

7. slukatr

slukatr

Aug 11, 2010
    It's the new spring rated 02. the problem was stovepipe.

8. DannyR

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I'm referring to the popular Streamlight TLR-1

9. LSP972

LSP972

May 25, 2000
    Zachary, LA
    StreamLight and InSight Technologies (maker of the M3) were in business together for a year or so, and as a result you will see some M3's in StreamLight packaging, etc.

InSight has a patent on the easy on/easy off attachment method; its the one draw-back to the TLR series, having to tighten that knob.

Anyway, they got a divorce some time back, so now InSight is back to marketing their own stuff... ditto StreamLight.

Personally, I have been waiting for an LED version of the M3. But the marketing types seem to think that any new gun light MUST have a strobe feature and a complicated switch to match. Simple isn't good enough any more...:steamed:

10. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 NRA Benefactor

Feb 24, 2007
    Sumter, S.C.
    What ammo are you using? 115gr? or 147gr? If you are using 115, try 147 next time.

11. slukatr

slukatr

Aug 11, 2010
    fiocchi 115 fmj hotter than conventional ammo

12. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    Where do you get this from? What proof do you have of this statement?

13. slukatr

slukatr

Aug 11, 2010
    Shoot one box Magtech and after one box Fiocchi and you will notice how much recoil you have with the fiocchis... i personally don't shoot fiocchi ammunition in my sigs hk and beretta, cause i've seen the framerails wearing so quick. The importer of fiocchi ammunition here in switzerland told me that it kick a lot more on the mecanisms of guns than conventionnal ammo, resulting in accelerated wear...

14. Insight now makes an LED upgrade kit for all the M series lights. about 50 bucks or so. All new Insight M series now use LED. The Insight mounting system is better than both Streamlight and Surefire IMO. No clamping of the frame which may cause feeding problems.

15. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    That isn't proof. So IDK about that. I use their .223, & it shoots like any .223 I have. But try higher grain ammo & maybe some quality HP's with the light.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  16. sgtlmj

sgtlmj NRA Life Member Millennium Member

Feb 23, 1999
    Everyfrigginwhere
    I run my Gen4 G17 w/ a SF X200 attached. It works perfectly with the stock spring, 0-2 spring, Jager, and Glockmeister. It works with 124g, 115g, and even 100g lead-free frangible ammo with any of the recoil assemblies.

One thing I have been noticing is that when I use the OEM dual-spring rods that they will shift to the left or right after a while. When I have the slide locked back I can see that it's pointing off to the side. Taking the slide off, the recoil assembly will usually fall out.

17. slukatr

slukatr

Aug 11, 2010
    I know that these fiocchi are more powerfull than standard ammo, i've tryed some Fiocchi 130gr FMj that were made for the norwegian police, and they sold the stock to my armorer due to lot of breakage with their duty guns. I've shot some 40 S&W MFS wich are made in the same factory as Fiocchi and they kicked so much it was a bad experience.
    When i shoot the fisocchi 9mm i feel i shoot my Glock22 with good .40,
    Perhaps are the fiocchi in USA underpowered... Don't compare the 9mm ammo with .223, it's not the same caliber and the weapon is different.

18. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman a.k.a. DaReaper

Apr 12, 2003
    Colorado

Sorry. But I call BS. Anything a Glock can take, so can a Sig or HK. I say this as an owner of a Glock, Sig and HK.