close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Fuel storage?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by emt1581, Nov 11, 2012.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    I've got a bunch of the 5gal. gas cans...the plastic ones and a metal Eagle or two.

Anyway, I'd like to have one or two 55gal drums/barrels. I want to get a two-way hand crank pump so I can use it and refill it as needed. Kinda like my own personal gas station.

When looking at containers...what is preferable? I have access to metal and plastic barrels. Does the material matter? Can I put a 2 way pump on a plastic barrel?

I figure rather than link the two barrels somehow I'll just remove the pump mechanism and transfer it.

Please share your thoughts on which barrel material and any other info that might be helpful.

Thanks

-Emt1581

2. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta

3. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    Pretty sure it's going to be illegal for you to keep 55-110 gallons of gas pretty much anywhere your likely to store it.

Haz-mat has fairly strict storage requirements.

4. BR549

BR549 Thread Killer

Jan 18, 2008
    Do you have a truck? If so, what size/type?

Use an auxiliary or transfer fuel tank.

I also store diesel and gasoline in huge farm fuel tanks.

Safety, fuel integrity, and security are key.

5. While there are some.. At least where I live, every farm has 100's of gallons of fuel, chemicals, etc. stored. I keep my barrels, spare propane tanks and fuel containers in my shed. Nobody has bothered me yet, been 15 years or so.

We use steel, unlined, 55gallon drums bought at DRMO for unleaded. Kerosene is in 5gallon cans.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  6. sebecman

sebecman

Jun 13, 2008
    Maine
    Not neccessarily, but he should check with his state D.E.P.

Up here many people store gasoline and diesel for use on farms and fleets in 275 gallon residential oil tanks, slightly modified with either a hand pump or a battery powered pump.

2 cents....

7. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    Because you do it, and have done it for years, does not make it legal.

If your storing multiple 55 gallon drums, of fuel or oil, you are highly likely to be illegal because its doubtful that you have followed storage protocol or complied with secondary containment requirements.

Sure, you may get away with it, just like the guys who pour used motor oil down the shop drain. But if you get caught/have a spill, your likely to face some heavy fines that will likely bankrupt you.

8. It's highly unlikely that you have a clue about what rules I follow, or research.

Sorry, this is Kentucky. we don't pour used oil down drains. We have sink holes for that.

I have secondary confinement, because I don't want to fudge up the world in case of a spill. But here, it is only required if any individual storage container is larger than 1100 gal. Individual 55gal drums can be stored however a person wants. Smart people use a "bathtub" of some sort. Mine is a wooden frame with a pond liner. will hold about double what I have stored in it.

OOPS: Sorry.. it's 1320 gallons.

https://www.kyfb.com/media/files/fe...2011 Draft SPCC Informational Alert - Web.pdf

9. R_W

R_W

Nov 8, 2007
    A recent podcast turned me on to using 10-15 gallon plastic barrels. Right at 100 lbs full, which means I can move them myself if needed, like to load on the truck to bug out. Sealed airtight to keep the volatiles in there.

10. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Most incorporated areas likely have some fairly low limit on fuel storage. Not that that stops many people. I think you may have a real problem if anything ever happens though and your insurance company finds out.

11. bdcochran

bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Gee, I just had a thought.

Go to the nearest fire station and get the phone number for the local fire marshal. Then call the fire marshal and make an appointment to meet with him. He will tell you what you can and can not do. It would also be helpful to take photographs of your place and be able to display them.

Then you don't have to get responses from 50 states and foreign jurisdictions.:wavey:

12. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    If only I were going to be coincidentally around said fire marshall...oh wait...tonight was drill night!! Unfortunately I didn't talk to him. He's only a few houses down though so I can talk to him.

Either way he's seen my garage and how I store gas a ton of times and never mentioned anything.

-Emt1581

13. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Well?

14. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    Ok, just got the official word....

So long as the containers are 1. sealed so no fumes/vapors leak out and 2. approved gas containers they can be stored anywhere on the property.

EDIT: But back to the OP of methods of storage/quantity/etc... I like the 15gal barrels someone mentioned. That is a great idea as I see it. Bigger than 5 gals but more portable than 55gal. However, for my use, I don't plan to move it at all and if need be I've got an industrial dolly so I could so it.

I'm still leaning toward the 55gal. barrel. But does plastic vs. metal matter? Any other thoughts? Anyone have 55gal barrel(s) for their fuel?

-Emt1581

15. TK-421

TK-421

Oct 12, 2012
    Pflugerville, TX
    I think he stores it in his garage.

16. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    A small amount yes. Not sure I'd keep 55gal. in my garage. Most likely a shed.

-Emt1581

17. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    What containers are approved?

I sure as hell wouldn't keep it inside of an attached garage. Or right against an outer wall of the house, either. (or in/against any occupied structure)

18. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    And as you can cite that, I'm going to bet that you, are not the majority for whom my statement was directed.

I wasn't calling you specifically uneducated, but rather a generic statement.

Most people are not likely to know what CFRs, OSHA regs and EPA statements to follow. Or what they pertain to. In addition, for those unlucky enough to not be in the côuntry like you or I, most cities have their own rulings/rules/codes on the storage of hazmat in and around residential zoned areas.

19. R_W

R_W

Nov 8, 2007
    www.solar1234.com

There is a whole podcast on fuel storage. He uses standard plastic drums, just make sure they have good bungs wrench them down tight. They will deform if they get too warm but shouldn't burst.

20. I forget the source, it is either the fire code or homeowners insurance has a 10 gallon limit to gas stored in an attached garage.