Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

  • Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Fuel Injection

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by D_Vman, Feb 1, 2007.

  1. D_Vman


    Jan 15, 2007
    Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get your two cents on a project I have in mind.

    I currently have a '67 Camaro, naturally aspirated, carbeurated 350. While this setup has served me well, I am looking to make the car a little more unique.

    There is a setup called the 'mega squirt'. Where you are given a computer chip and all the necessary electronic components, but you build the board yourself. I am not too worried about this part...

    What does worry me is the rest of a fuel injection system. O.k., I'll need a new fuel pump... easy stuff. Then you have to size some injectors to suit your system... also easy. O2 (wideband) and MAP sensors should be simple enough. Same story with the coil packs (1 per cylinder) Now the manifold / fuel rail setup... ahh, here's the problem.

    I was toying around with the idea of salvaging something off of an 80's camaro. There is also a fuel rail equipped manifold from edelbrock. If the rest is going to be really complex then this might be the route to take. Then I saw a really neat 1 stack per cylinder setup that looked exotic...

    Does anyone have experience building a FE system from scratch? Have I left out any major cost / component?

    Your thoughts would be appreciated.

  2. FoxMustang

    FoxMustang We Deal in Lead

    Dec 15, 2001
    I think a Chevy throttle-body injection (TBI) system is the cheapest and easiest solution. The intake manifolds aren't as expensive as a multi-point setup (someone may even make an adapter so you can put a throttle body on a carb manifold). On the throttle body you'll have your injectors (2), TPS, and IAC. No need for fuel rails, and it operates at a lower pressure than multi-point so you don't need as expensive a fuel pump. Looks like the MegaSquirt also supports an IAT sensor. You can find these bits most easily on early- to mid-90s GM pickup trucks (they used TBI in the Camaro RS, but on a 305 engine so you might need bigger injectors, and a pickup with a 350 will probably be easier to find anyway).

    If you're set on multi-point system, look for something in a tuned-port injection (TPI). Stock GM parts aren't all that great for performance, they have good low end but tend to choke above 4500rpm. Aftermarket TPI solutions fix this, but you'll pay for it. You can find TPI in third-gen Z28s and Trans Ams. I think lately the price of stock take-off TPI systems have dropped since the aftermarket ones offer better performance.

    Just use an HEI distributor. No need for coils on every plug.

    Wideband O2 sensors are fairly expensive, and it looks like with the MegaSquirt you need a special controller for them. You can get by with a normal O2 sensor.

  3. elsolo


    Aug 4, 2003
    OK, let me get this straught:
    You have everything sorted out for your electronic fuel injection conversion EXCEPT the intake manifold?

    The intake manifold is 90% of the benefit of fuel injection. Running carburation really limits you on on ideal manifold design. I would go with an individual runner manifold with nice long runners for a street car if at all possible. For your application, a stack manifold from Hilborn or other sprint car type mechanical FI converted to EFI injectors, and each runner tapped for the vacuum line.
  4. Diesel Scout

    Diesel Scout

    Sep 22, 2005
    Oregon City
    I have to chuckle at this a bit. When I was building my Rockcrawler, my buddy and I adapted a Chev TBI system to run on our old antiquated International 4 cylinder. I know of another guy who built a megasquirt system for his IH 392. I believe you can buy manifolds with the rails already in place for this kind of system. After all the SBC 350 has the largest aftermarket support of any other engine. Have you searched on other sites? I know it's been done and if it can be done on an International with 0 aftermarket support (at the time), then it should be cake on the 350.

    here is the Megasquirt forum on the IH site I am a member of. Who knows may have some info for ya.

    IH Megasquirt

    I don't know if the info needed is there, but it's a place to start. And whats the point of posting you and razzing you a bit if I don't give you what little info I have.:supergrin:

    Good luck!
  5. walrus108


    Feb 11, 2006
    Georgetown, TX
    Don't use any 80's GM system unless your 350 is VERY mild. With a stock 350 from the mid 80's (TPI) those things run out of flow at about 4500 rpm. And the TPI is better than the other factory manifolds of that era. If your not going to use a distributor, I'd look into a LT1 intake or an easier route is the Holley Stealth Ram. The LT1 is an excellent intake but you'd have to drill it and install some fittings and use a remote thermostat. Not a huge deal but it's definitely a consideration. But that would be pretty unique for sure. Here's a link for how to do the LT1 setup The Holley is basically a bolt on.