close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

FTF using RWS Ammo.

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Glockfan1977, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Glockfan1977

Glockfan1977

Jul 13, 2010
    Hey everyone. A couple of months ago I was shooting my G19 using RWS 124 grain FMJs. Well about midway into the box I had 2 FTFs not in sequential order. I had one in one mag, the next in another mag. I reloaded the dimpled rounds back into the mag and they both fired. This was the first time I shot this ammo.
    Does anyone have any input as to why my G19 had 2 FTFs. Keep in mind this is a second gen G19, has had approximately 10,000 - 20,000 rounds through it never a problem up until now.
    I look forward to hear what you guys have to say.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I suspect you experienced an ammo problem and not a pistol problem.

3. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    I've never shot any (thought the price of a box was way too much) but I think it's Swiss-made ammo.

I've never had any problems with European ammo but I understand some manufacturers there use primers that need a good whack to fire the round. I've shot Sellier & Bellot without any incidents but I've read more than a couple of posts by folks who describe the same problem you had when shooting S&B.

4. newmexican

newmexican

Jul 2, 2010
    That RWS stuff is strange. I saw it at my local bg 5 for about 23.00 a box...So I passed on it. Later that same day, I saw it at Wal-Mart for 12.00 a box so I picked up 7 or 8 boxes of the stuff.

IT worked great for me out in the desert, shooting up old TVs etc, etc out of my g17 rtf2, no a single ftl or ftf.

It got wierd for me when I went to my local indoor range, I was shooting the RWS stuff off and it was sparking everywhere, the employee came out and told me I was tall and I was actually hitting the ground which was causing the sparking.....I figured that was BS.

anyways, the planwas to put about 6-700 rounds through the gun before using it as my everyday gun, so I switched from the RWS to S&b, blazers, WWBs, Lawman, and a box of Magtech. (BTW, not a single ftf or ftl).

NONE of the other ammo caused the sparking that the RWS did. I even ran some HPs through the gun to see if it prefered one over the other and no sparking.

so: to break the gun in I put the following through it.

-lawman
    -s&b
    -magtech
    -RWS
    -blazer
    -WWB

and for HP

-ranger +p+
    -golden sabers
    -a few buffalo bore +p
    -critical defense.

I guess my point is that the RWS was odd and sparked off the cement at the indoor range while nothing else did.

5. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Apr 24, 2004
    I don't see why that is a big deal. The employee is correct in his explanation. Most people actually hit the ground depending on the distance they are shooting at. The only reason you could see sparks is probably because RWS uses a different metal jacket than the other brands.

6. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

May 3, 2008
    Arkansas
    Really ? Even though he was using RWS 124gr., not the standard WWB 115gr. ? Isn't RWS 124gr loaded to SAMMI specs' ?

7. GAFinch

GAFinch

Feb 23, 2009
    Georgia
    I've been shooting RWS lately since Walmart discounted the price. Not a single problem in my CZ. Shoots just as well as WWB.

8. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Apr 24, 2004
    That doesn't mean that the ammo didn't have hard primers, or that the primers were all seated properly.

9. mboylan

mboylan

May 11, 2007
    The ammo may have harder primers and you may have a weakened striker spring. The primer may have gotten contaminated.

10. glock031

glock031

Jun 18, 2010
    I've shot about 1500 rounds of RWS lately. All good. WWB doesn't even compare to the quality of RWS ammo IMO.

11. Shoots great in my Ruger SR9c got about 200 rounds of that through it without a hitch..I would say that its quite a stout round and has a lot more recoil than say Remington UMC or Federal...it gotta be near NATO or P+ rounds power wise...felt a lot like shooting a P+ self defense round.

12. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    If you can't estimate your round count closer than the nearest 10,000, I'd respring the gun every now and then.

Funny how everyone blames ammo for their malfunctions. :upeyes: Every other thread says WWB is too weak, dirty, out of spec, etc.

Now this wierd Swiss match ammo stuff is "just as good as WWB":rofl:

13. G19Pistolero

G19Pistolero

Jul 28, 2009
    FL CWP
    I have about 500 rds of RWS on my Glock 19 and about the same on my Beretta M9 with no issues...

-J.-

14. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    I tried 9mm when it 1st hit the shelves at walmart. Many rounds on my g17 never a jam until this ammo. Lasted 2 mags. About half of each mag had FTF's. I left the rest of the ammo at the range. I won't use it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  15. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    I have some RWS 9mm on my shelf right now. I've never tried it in a Glock, only my Hi-Power.

Nuthin' puts an ass whoopin' on a hard primer like a 32lb mainspring:rofl:

16. Q400

Q400

May 30, 2005
    RWS ammo is steel jacketed,which when it hits the concrete floor, it will cause sparks.Assuming the floor is concrete.

17. cmcinc

cmcinc

Jan 10, 2007
    Georgia
    I have shot a few hundred rounds of it the last few months and had no problems with it.

18. KG21

KG21

Jun 17, 2003
    St. Petersburg, FL
    This ammo is now outlawed at my indoor range. It was sparking all over the place as well. The RO put a magnet on the rounds, they all stuck. This ammo is most likely steel core. FWIW Just my .02.

19. Q400

Q400

May 30, 2005
    Steel jacket. I pulled one apart and it looks like the core is lead, soft material scratches with a pick.