close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FTE Remington UMC FMJ 115Gr MC in a G17c gen4

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Slivertusk, Jul 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Slivertusk

Slivertusk

During a shooting session i had multiple FTE w remington umc(this started when i had my barrel comped). Switched to american eagle 115 fmj haven't had 1 fte yet.
    i use to use PMC 115 FMJ (u know... trying out different ammo) i don't know what ammo would be good or if they could cause fte. i only put 300 in pmc, 200 american eagle, and the recent 50 w remington(right around the time the barrel was comped). i clean my gun well but i don't know how to better avoid fte and i like remington umc but after that i'm not sure what rounds to buy.
    Any help would be great.

2. JR

JR Moderator Millennium Member

The problem with the 115 gr ammo is the powder. When the fastest powder is used the burn rate causes a spike in pressure. The FTE is the result of the spike. If the slower powders are used there is a longer burn time and the gun will eject more reliable. Even if your gun is ejecting the 115 you will notice the brass is virtually rolling off your knuckles. This is telling you it too is on the verge of failure.

The 124 gr ammo runs a lot more reliable. 147 is even better!

3. Slivertusk

Slivertusk

ok got a shopping list to compile then for 147gr any thoughts/recommendations?

4. JR

I have never seen any brand 124/147 fail. You should pick up a few boxes and prove it before making a bulk purchase but once again.... Every 124/147 I have tried runs flawless.
    Don’t give up on the 115! Evidently you found some that would work. If it works for you then you have a "cheap resource available.

5. Slivertusk

Slivertusk

well i do have a new guide rod and spring in (stock weight). Do you think its the cause of the fte? does adding a custom weight spring reduce the fte rate? or will it create more problems?

6. JR

The cause of the FTE is the weak ammo coupled with the added weight of the barrel & slide.
    Factory weight is 17lbs in the Gen3, not sure what it is in the Gen4? You can get better performance by reducing the recoil spring weight but I do not know if the aftermarket guide rods & springs are available yet. If you know of one I recommend you try a 15lb spring to start and reduce to 11 lb if necessary.

7. Slivertusk

Slivertusk

stock weight for ss guide rod is 17# same as dual guide rod (factory install) maybe the 15# have to wait for more $ before i begin testing.

8. Slivertusk

Slivertusk

Went shooting today. Had a mix of ae and rem umc. Previously i had problems with umc but not anymore!. After some drills and the Magtech +p clip, i shot 10 umc with only 1 FTE (wasnt holding the gun right)
    The S/S guide rod spring is well broken in.
    On the plus side i shot my first AK-47 today!. Some cool guys were firing off a hungarian w/ foregrip(wood) and a special (black poly) type can't remember what type that one was. Had a 5 round clip buried 3 in steel a 80 Yrds center mass!. Saw a FNP 9mm in action (didn't know that cal was available considering i only see 5.7). Got a laugh on my back plate cause it has The Punisher emblem on it and a hot tip on getting a AR-15 (if i can i will see about an M4 if available).
    All in all a great day!