close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FTE getting to be a problem

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 9mmmountaineer, Jan 19, 2013.

1. 9mmmountaineer

9mmmountaineer
    Expand Collapse

I have a G19c and I love the gun but it would be the last one I'd trust my life to... I keep having failure to eject. Caused me some problems in a tourney last night and it's getting old.

It's happened with Tula, WWB, federal, PPV? (not positive on the acronym). All cheap ammo yes but what gun is built to work on only expensive practice ammo?

I need help, how to fix, what to buy, when to sell. What can I do to stop this reoccurring problem

Thanks ahead for the help

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK
    Expand Collapse

You need to give the internet more information if you are asking for an analysis.

Failure to eject how?

Stovepipes? Is the case getting stuck in the chamber?

Have the FTE problems always been present, or did they start randomly a certain amount of time ago?

Are there any aftermarket parts or modifications?

Did you buy the pistol new?

3. 9mmmountaineer

9mmmountaineer
    Expand Collapse

All stove pipes
    bought the gun used well taken care of
    had less than 300 rounds when I bought it.
    I have in 6 months put 1k+ rounds through the gun
    Gun ran good the first 300 rounds roughly.
    So problem became regular 600 rounds roughly
    After that 12+ FTE
    No limp wrist
    Gun is 100% stock
    Cleaned regularly

4. Dave.1

Dave.1
    Expand Collapse

Take a look at your ejector and extractor. Mostly I would look at the extractor claw for chips or carbon build up, also make sure the ejector is not deformed or chipped.

With this low a round count I wouldn't really think the slide would need to be detailed but I would do it any way just to look at the extractor. Be sure to clean all the carbon off the extractor. Pics here to show the slide detail if you haven't done it. There are probably youtube videos too.
    http://www.glockmeister.com/FiringPinReplacement.asp

I don't own a compensated barrel so I really don't know what type of power loss takes place on recoil. Stove pipes could be an indication that you need a weaker recoil spring to be able to cycle the pistol (or more powerful ammo), but I would think that would have shown up right away.

Dave

5. 24601

Expand Collapse

also consider letting someone else shoot the gun...I'm not saying you are the issue, but it won't hurt to check.... my female neighbor has a 19c... she was constantly getting ftf shooting 124gr aguila...like six or seven per mag...( she also has a g26 that shoots the same ammo just fine)... she kept saying it was the 19c... so I shot her 19c and ran a few mags of the same crappy ammo through with maybe a couple ftf total...I told her to run her 124 federal hst through it and it ran just fine... turns out to be a combination of weak aguila ammo + her weaker grip on the gun that caused the issues... the ported barrel would lose maybe 50-70 fps from what I read so normally it shouldnt be an issue (I shoot a 32c regularly)...

6. F106 Fan

F106 Fan
    Expand Collapse

This crap with Glocks has been going on for far too long! Personally, I would sell the gun and be happy for it. Get one of the Springfield Armory XD9s and call it good.

Or, you can search through the HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of threads on the same topic right here on GlockTalk. You might find that the Apex extractor will help (if available for your model) and that some updates from Glock might as well (if your gun doesn't already have them).

Then I would try NATO 124 gr running at 1200 fps. This might have a high enough power factor to cycle the gun. It is amost certain that Federal Champion 115 gr at around 1000 fps does not.

That the compensator helps reduce recoil doesn't necessarily help with slide velocity. Using anything less than a full power 9mm probably won't work out well.

If your gun does indeed shoot the NATO 124 then, if you want to shoot very much, you will have to start reloading. You can load these for about $120/1000 or $6/box of 50. See the Reloading forum here on GlockTalk for more info.

Richard

7. F106 Fan

F106 Fan
    Expand Collapse

And, of course, you can chase the problem down a rabbit hole by installing a lighter recoil spring which will probably require a lighter striker spring which will sometimes fail to light off a round (unless they have Federal primers) and, pretty soon, you will have your very own Frankengun!

Seriously, find some stout 124 gr first.

Richard

#7 F106 Fan, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  8. Made in Austria

Made in Austria
    Expand Collapse

Check the extractor claw for chips. Also, if you are familiar with detail stripping the slide, take the entire extractor mechanism apart to see if there is any foreign matter in there and check for any broken or missing parts, wrong or missing spring loaded extractor bearing, broken extractor depressor plunger spring, etc.

I have seen a few Glocks where the extractor depressor plunger unit was inserted with the wrong side into the depressor plunger channel, which then can cause extraction issues.

To the ammo, WWB is not bad. It works great in all of my 9mm gen4 and gen3 Glocks. WWB and a other rather cheap ammo does not work great in Glocks which have extraction issues, aka as Brass to Face issues, because Glocks with issues need hot ammo and an perfect master shooter grip to help compensate issues with which the gun came out of the box. Some problematic Glocks are not fixable and need to be sent back to the factory for a replacement gun.

#8 Made in Austria, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  9. DannyR

DannyR
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Millennium Member

The "C" models bleed off some of the energy, so it is best to use hotter ammo. Try some Winchester 124-gr NATO spec ammo, or get a non-ported factory barrel.

10. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg
    Expand Collapse
    BTF Inventor

If you're having failure to eject with commonly available factory ammo, it has nothing to do with the porting. No hotter ammo is required. You have a different problem. Dragging the slide with any part of your hand or finger? Tried replacing the recoil spring assembly? Wipe down clean or actually clean? Check for chips as noted above.

11. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634
    Expand Collapse
    :):

I once had the same problem with my Gen2 19. Ran fine after I got it then started having FTE issues. Turns out it was gunk buildup in the extractor. Cleaned it out and never had an issue again.

12. 9mmmountaineer

9mmmountaineer
    Expand Collapse

Detailed stripped and cleaned and I guess I'll try to find the NATO 124gr but ammo is scarce round these parts

13. kodiakpb

kodiakpb
    Expand Collapse

My 19C does not require hotter ammo. It functions 100% on cheap WWB and Federal Champion. There is something else going on.

14. herricane

herricane
    Expand Collapse

My 19 gen 4 would fte 114 grain of any kind. It never had a problem with 124 grain.

15. Ryobi

Ryobi
    Expand Collapse
    SummertimeRules

No need for hotter ammo. See lone wolf's post

16. pat701

pat701
    Expand Collapse

The old owner got rid of it because of the problems. I think we may see a lot of used newer Glocks on the market because of BTF, and weak ejection problems.:crying:

17. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg
    Expand Collapse
    BTF Inventor

Good for me. Most of the issues tend to clear up if you have an FFL transfer the gun from the internet to the hands of an experienced shooter. Most, but definitely not all. This one may be the exception to the rule. My money is on a dirty extractor.

18. 9mmmountaineer

9mmmountaineer
    Expand Collapse

I've cleaned the extractor and it wasn't bad, no brass flakes really just a little black, but shouldn't have been a problem.

I have cleaned it before and the problems never stopped.

I'll keep trying to figure it out I guess, but I'm still kinda pissed that I bought the gun to carry and I can't trust it.

19. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK
    Expand Collapse

Chronic FTEs mean that there is a part broken or missing from your gun. If the gun was at factory spec, then it wouldnt have regularly occurring problems.

I'm guessing your ejector has been bent, or there is something preventing your extractor from holding the casing of the rim.

My suggestion, aside from taking it to an armorer, is to take a bunch of pictures of the internals like extractor/ejector/EDP (if you can) so we can have a look to see if everything looks normal.

#19 INEEDMILK, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  20. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg
    Expand Collapse
    BTF Inventor

Milk is right. This is not normal, not a design or inherent issue with the gun.