Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

FT Lauderdale PD approved weapon list???

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by JCROWNII, Oct 12, 2011.

Dec 30, 2009
    Hello GT,

I am looking into applying for FLPD and I am curious to know what sidearm they carry. I have friends from other departments who have been to FLPD hq and they said that a lot of officers were carrying the HK USP.

I googled FLPD HK usp and some searches came back stating that FLPD issues the HK usp .40 but this is not confirmed. I have heard many times that FLPD has an approved firearm list and DOES NOT ISSUE ANY SIDEARM. Even the application states that the department
    issues all gear with the exception of the service weapon, shoes, and handcuffs. I have also seen pictures of FLPD officers with what looks to be like a compact Glock, as well as 1911s, S&W Semi Autos, and Berettas. It looks like the officers are young too so I don't know about grandfathering in.

Here's even a recent video posted in 2010 on YouTube where a FLPD officer confirms this list of approved firearms:

My questions are:

1. Does anyone know what firearms are on this list?

2. Can you carry your own gun off duty?

I'm not too big a fan of the HK usp. I'm a Glock guy. I shoot my Glock 22 like no other and I train with it all the time since I carry a G27 for CCW. I was hoping I can have the G22 as my duty gun.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
  2. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Don't select an employer based on sidearm. Don't even let it enter in to the equation.

3. jwhite75

jwhite75 Gubmint Worker

Jan 6, 2009
    Dub V

Guns should be the least of any consideration for an LE career, and make for poor talking points in an interview. Trust us.
  4. RVER

Aug 3, 2004
    Listen to what the other's have said.
  5. Forget the duty gun. It's the spiffy uniform and the cool police cars that should be the deciding factor. :wavey:
  6. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

Jul 2, 2005
    Like the others have said don't let the sidearm be a factor.
    At this point I'd rock out a slingshot and a coonskin cap instead of being in the jail.
  7. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
    Officer Crockett (Davy, not Sonny), I presume?
  8. jwhite75

jwhite75 Gubmint Worker

Jan 6, 2009
    Dub V
    Get on somewhere first and be top shot at the academy if you want, heck even be "the gun guy" on your dept, after you learn to be a good officer with sound judgment and good instincts.
  9. South Fla

South Fla ©South Fla 2015

Oct 10, 2006
    There should be several dozen things on your mind as first priorities rather that what gun you might carry if you get on. You got a long way to go first.
  10. car541

car541 Patrol Hairbag

Aug 20, 2004
    dont worry about it. it's going to change anyway.

Also keep this in mind: an experienced officer with good training, a supportive administration and a model 10 revolver is better off than a badly trained FNG with bosses willing to toss him in the grease and your magic G22.
  11. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Pretty much every police department will issue or approve guns that are reliable and you can capably shoot with, in a caliber that will get the job done. You need to be looking at things like working conditions, pay, benefits, retirement, morale, choice of assignments, promotion/specialized assignment system and relationship between leadership and the troops.
  12. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Listen to ateamer. IMHO, the relationship between labor and management is most important, all of the other issues fall in line behind that. Having an adversarial relationship benefits nobody.
  13. I thought it was the quality of the badge bunnies that was the deciding factor... :whistling:

14. jwhite75

jwhite75 Gubmint Worker

Jan 6, 2009
    Dub V

Dont tell him all the jedi secrets...then all his friends will want light sabers.:cool:
  15. I agree completely that the issue or authorized pistol is about the last thing I'd consider when applying to a law enforcement agency, I strongly agree that issue/authorized weapons are topics to be avoided during the application proceses.

That said, I'd be interested to know what pistol I'd be issued or authorized if I applied to another agency. What does FLPD authorize?
  16. RVER

Aug 3, 2004
    An old saying: THE BADGE WILL GET YOU BUNNIES, BUT BUNNIES WILL GET YOUR BADGE. There are some very friendly yet very bad bunnies out there - very bad bunnies... The word used wasn't exactly "bunnies" but I have confidence in you that you can figure it out, if not you might want to consider a different career field...

17. Yup, when they take your badge they also give you the gift that keeps on giving...The bunnies have never appealed to me. You don't meet too many decent people doing this job and the sluts are no exception. Why anyone wants the "department door knob" is beyond me, but some guys seem to have no standard.

Dec 30, 2009

I have completely been misunderstood. As my post clearly stated I am just CURIOUS to know what sidearm they carry. Never did I mention this will be my overall decideing factor on whether I will apply to this particular pd or not. I hope you guys don't ASSume this much on the job. Thanks for the tip about not mentioning this in the interview but its a bit too late as yesterday I just passed my oral board interview with 1 of 3 pds I have applied for.

It's amazing how many of you jumped on the bandwagon when you saw one person state I should not consider a pd just for a sidearm. Gentleman, your sidearm and your proficiency with it might be the only thing that gets you home one night. Those that shoot once a year to qualify and put their guns away I am personally scared for. If you think you are "trained" because of what they taught you in the academy, I feel sorry for you. I have personally seen everything from horse manure on a mounted officers firearm. No lube, completely filthy...if your one of them I am affraid for you. A lot of officers think they are armed just BECAUSE they are carrying a firearm...thats why most don't care about what gun they carry, nor do they perform maintainance, nor do they shoot them. That's why most of you can't shoot!

When I consider my sidearm I am considering my life. Is it enough to keep me from applying to a pd, NO, but better believe it will cross my mind.

We all know most cops don't need to use their sidearm in their careers and we all know shooting and firing at someone will be probably the last thing you do....but it CAN be the first thing you do. I know of officers who have been shot and killed just after they finished probation and went off on their own. Complacency-it can be the end of you.

Gimme my MAGIC G22 ANYDAY, I'd take it and run....

This is MY opinion, as everyone has a right to formulate their own opinion.

Now that the misconception is out of the way...and the bandwagon has been addressed...if anyone can address my question it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.
  19. I was going to reply with an in depth response but you have already passed the oral board of one out of three agencies you applied for and it appears you possess more insight and experience for the job than the members of CT combined. I don't think there is anything in my 17 years that could help.

Good luck, the psych should be interesting.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

Dec 30, 2009
    Please, by all means, enlighten me.

I'm a NOT a know it all....nor do I claim to be. But if you can tell me and prove that what I have said is BS, I am willing to change my mind.

And as far as the psych....that test is BULL****...if some officers can pass it and then go on the job and rape women and children while they are in uniform, that test speaks for itself sir.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011