close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Frustrating Day at the Range : Colt

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by 4949shooter, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Well, I went to the range today and fired my Colt XSE Commander. I was having problems with Colt Checkmate magazine, so I switched out the mag spring with a Wilson Combat spring. I started out with Winchester Ranger 230 grain and immediately had FTF. So I switched to a Wilson mag and continued to have FTF's. The slide also wasn't locking back occasionally either. I switched to ball ammo (CCIBlazer brass) and had another FTF with the Colt magazine. I switched back to the Wilson magazine and the gun functioned. There was only one more FTF with a partial ball/Ranger filled mag.

So...I switched over to Federal Hydrashock and the gun worked perfectly. I ran out of Hydrashock and switched to my last box of Ranger and had more FTF malfunctions.

The funny thing is, I tested the Ranger ammo out when I first got the gun and it worked fine. The recoil spring has over 1500 rounds/cycles on it. I just ordered new springs from Wolff.

The only saving grace was the accuracy of the gun, and the fact that I believe this is just an ammo and magazine problem.

Ughh..

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

2. Thanks bac. Hopefully it will work itself out.

3. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    From experience, get a new recoil spring, ditch the Checkmates and get some Chip McCormick Powermags or some Wilson 47s.

4. 69Charger

69Charger

Jul 25, 2011
    Tacoma Wa
    I'll agree. This is a good place to start. Is she clean? Hows your lube job? I run FP-10 or Mobil-1. And I don't skimp on the stuff. Clean and wet. MMM MMM good.
    Dave

5. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

:agree:

Recoil springs are cheap consumable parts... like windshield wipers and brake pads on a car.

I've never had an issue with CMC or Tripp mags either. Mine always work (no lube, bone dry inside the tube).

6. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    My thoughts would be new recoil spring also special since the ammo worked when you first got the gun.

7. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Senior Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Right behind you...
    If it ain't a colt, it's a better copy:supergrin:

Sorry to hear, good luck with it man. I would replace springs, and maybe try new mags.

8. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Feb 3, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hey Charger, glad to see you here! :wavey:

9. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

May 14, 2006
    Kansas
    :crazy::animlol:

10. oldsoldier

oldsoldier

Jun 22, 2008
    MO
    Are you running the stock 18lb weight recoil spring. I had the same problem with mine and went to a 20lb standard or 21lb variable rate recoil spring. Either one works fine and I prefer the 21lb variable rate spring.

11. Thanks for all the tips guys. Hopefully the new Wolff springs I ordered will do the trick. If not I will try a 20 pounder as oldsoldier suggested.

69Charger, I am running TW-25B on the gun. I like 'em clean and wet myself, or clean and greasy, lol.

12. 69Charger

69Charger

Jul 25, 2011
    Tacoma Wa
    Thanks. Steppin out of the box a little. Seems like a good place. So far I haven't had to put on my boots too many times. :cool:
    Dave. :)

13. agtman

agtman 10mm Spartiate

Feb 28, 2001
    Midwest
    Wow, my GI Springfield never did that ... :popcorn:

The local gunshop counter dude always tells me that "a Colt ain't nothing but a pony."

;)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Get rid of that crappy ass CheckMate mag AND the Wilson too.

Stock up on Mec-Gar mags. You can thank me later.

15. CDW4ME

CDW4ME

Jun 5, 2009
    USA
    My Colt XSE Lightweight Commander did not feed with the factory supplied magazines; Tripp magazines work 100% with the same ammo.

16. Hmmm...interesting. Hopefully she'll smooth out.

My XSE Commander has been excellent. It will actually feed empty cases from a decent mag. I've found the 8 round factory mags to be junk though. I plan to replace the springs a folllowers with Tripp Super 7 kits. (which are superb)

17. CDW4ME

CDW4ME

Jun 5, 2009
    USA
    x2 I also used the Tripp kits to make the faulty "factory" magazines work.

18. rvrctyrngr

rvrctyrngr Senior Moment

Sep 15, 2004
    Gator Nation
    Hope you get it all worked out.

The XSE LW Commander I bought two years ago was never right. Even after a trip back to Colt it would only feed ball about 80% of the time and HPs not at all. I dumped it for a Smith PD and never looked back.

Their vain attempt at 'customer service' left a really bad impression on me, as well.

19. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    the standard recoil spring weight for a 5" 1911.45acp is 16 pounds. i just throw that one away before i even try it on the range. i install the Wolff 18.5 pound spring and have not had a failure with my "el cheapo" RIA.