close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Frustrated with G23 + weaponlight issues.

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by iofdetiger, Apr 21, 2011.

1. iofdetiger

iofdetiger

Jun 22, 2007
    I've had my trusty Glock 23 for a few years now and It's been great. Until of course I decided to buy a TLR-1.

Glock is doing nothing but giving me the run around. I called them in the beginning of March to ask for their advice. And this is what I got:

First call: Fred told me to check my followers. After hearing they were a number 8, told me it was a recoil spring issue.

Second call: Told me it was a magazine spring issue and that they'd be glad to send me new magazine springs. Also told me to check out the Wolff springs.

Third call: (a month later, the springs never showed up) They said the springs were cleared to ship and that they were just waiting for them to go out.

Fourth Call: (2 weeks later, today) I talk to Anthony who tells me that I probably wont get the magazine springs from Glock and to just purchase new ones. No problem, I ask him about the Wolff springs and they said they don't recommend any aftermarket parts. Which I understand completely. He also says the glock light doesn't cause any issues. He also says the issue is resolved in the new 22 and 23s.

so my options are to: Buy the OEM 10 spring coils, Buy the Wolff springs, or sell the gun and try my luck at a new one.

Anyone have any experience with a solution that actually worked?

2. Cruiser1

Cruiser1 Still Alive

Jul 15, 2010
    Biloxi, Mississippi
    Not sure what your problem is, you did not say. I also have a 23 with a TLR-1 attached, works fine, no problems at all. It does get rather dirty hanging past the end of the barrel. I wiped it down with a little Vaseline before shooting yesterday and it cleaned right off with a just a rag after the range session. The light manufacture does recommend in the written instructions that come with the light not tightening down the mounting too tight on the 23 as it can bind up the slide.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011

3. iofdetiger

iofdetiger

Jun 22, 2007
    Ah, sorry. My gun doesn't correctly cycle rounds with the light attached. Every 3-4 rounds i'll get a FTF. The light is only thumb tightened.

4. Cruiser1

Cruiser1 Still Alive

Jul 15, 2010
    Biloxi, Mississippi
    My 23 is only about 6 months old and I had had the light about a month. If as they said the newer ones have been corrected somehow to not bind up maybe that is why I have not had any issues. I really don't see the connection between the light and magazine springs. It would seem to me that the light mounting is binding up the rails toward the muzzle end. Good luck, I hope that either Glock or Streamlight can come up with a solution for you. Unfortunately you may just have to bite the bullet and try another light.

5. iofdetiger

iofdetiger

Jun 22, 2007
    From what I've read, the light causes the slide velocity to increase which makes the magazine unable to keep up and chamber the rounds reliably. A new light might help, but from what I've researched, if your gun has this problem with one light, it'll have it with every light.

Im hoping someone here has experience with fixing the issues.

6. up1911fan

up1911fan

Mar 12, 2009
    Upper Michigan
    Just buy the new mag springs and get back to us.

7. iofdetiger

iofdetiger

Jun 22, 2007
    I want to get some advice first. While the magazine springs aren't that expensive, the range fees + ammo to test for failure is what adds up. I'm hoping that someone that has a solution that works before I spend all that money being a guinea pig.

8. barca101

barca101

Jun 20, 2010
    I got a Glock 19 that I qualified with last Friday and had the same similiar problem that your experiencing. I have a SF X300 and would experience FTF. My department range master said to try it w/o the light on and it ran pefectly. He loaned me his Gen 4 Glock 17 mags and I ran the pistol with the light with no problems.

I ordered a 3 pack of the XP Wolf Springs and see if the problem goes away. Also, from my observation when I disassebled the magazines There is a big difference in the magazine follower. The old 9mm #3 mags, when I pushed the tip of the follower it would tilt down. My most recent mag with the #6 follower, when you push the tip of the follower down there is no tilting.

I"m going to try the springs first to see if thats the problem before I purchase the new followers.

9. Glockpimp

Glockpimp

Jan 16, 2011
    SC
    i've always used a light (TLR-1 and M3) on my 22's. what ammo do you primarily use? i think this problem is sometimes the fault of weak ammo.

10. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Apr 25, 2009
    SE Colorado
    Glock solved the issue in the G22's by switching the 10-coil magazine springs to 11-coil. G23 magazines use 9-coil springs, so I'd suggest trying a 10-coil spring in ONE of your magazines. I'd only try one at first because you don't want to replace all of your springs only to find out it doesn't fix the problem. Test it with one magazine first, if it works replace the rest of your springs. Putting a 10-coil spring in a G23 magazine may take away 1 round of capacity, but at least your gun will work with the light attached.

And the newest followers for .40 magazines are #9. The number will appear "9." with a period after it so that it doesn't get confused with #6 followers.

In my experience the #9 followers don't show any significant improvement over #8's.

11. Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  12. Mine would FTF without the light being over-tightened. As for the powder residue, just cover it with a few layers of painters tape before a range session.

13. The mag springs have everything to do with it. The added weight of the light changes the cycling speed of the slide and if the mag springs aren't strong enough they can't keep up.

Directly form Streamlight's website:
    http://www.streamlight.com/documents/issues/GlockIssues.pdf

14. AA#5

AA#5

Nov 26, 2008
    My SureFire light came with a warning about causing malfunctions in any polymer-framed pistol, so I installed in on my Sig P220 instead. I keep a handheld light with the Glocks. Reliability is more important than an attached light.

15. iofdetiger

iofdetiger

Jun 22, 2007
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. Just what I needed. I ordered those springs. Let's hope it works.

Thanks again.

16. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Gen 3 .40's are notorious for this issue. One of the big promises of the Gen 4 was that this issue would once and for all be solved. Haven't heard if it has but haven't seen any complaints so...

I have a TLR-1 for my G4 19. I need to test it more but I don't expect any issues.

17. Hunng

Hunng

Feb 23, 2010
    GA
    Handheld light will solve this problem 100%!

18. Not really

19. KarlThomas

KarlThomas

Nov 29, 2010
    Kentucky
    That's ignoring the problem, not solving it.

Good info, Captain.

20. Cruiser1

Cruiser1 Still Alive

Jul 15, 2010
    Biloxi, Mississippi

OK, but mine works fine with the light attached, snuged down and the OEM springs in the mags. I have plus 2 floor plates on two out of the three 13 round mags that I have and have experienced none of the problems listed here. I am just a lucky guy, I suppose. Good idea using the tape, thank you.