close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Front Sight Pins Won't Move

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by n2wishn, Mar 2, 2010.

1. n2wishn

n2wishn Stamp Collector

I got a brand new Daniel Defense XV upper and I want to remove the Front Sight Post and gas tube so I can add the Daniel Defense Omega 12.0 FSP rail but the pins on the front sight won't budge. I have the Brownells Pin block and I tap the pins and all the punch does is slide right off. I'm starting to get frustrated I have never had this problem before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    Eesh, tell me about it. Have a 2 page thread of my own regarding that, but with a BCM upper. Broke 3 punches so far.

3. mvician

mvician Lifetime Member

Jun 8, 2007
    NW Indiana
  4. n2wishn

n2wishn Stamp Collector

LOL! I hit them so hard I broke a punch and had to go buy another set. They just won't move! I'm no flake... those babies are in there. Almost like some one stuck a cold piece a metal in a heated piece of metal to make sure they didn't move. :shocked:

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    What direction are you trying to drive the taper pins?

6. n2wishn

n2wishn Stamp Collector

Using the Brownells Front Sight Block with the Pins Out position facing up, I would be pushing the pins from the left side of the rifle to the right. When putting them back in it would be the reverse. This is how I have always done it. Only on this upper they are not moving.

7. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Bigger hammer. I use a 1.5 pound mini sledge. Are the pin ends peened now?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  8. furioso2112

furioso2112

Dec 12, 2007
    I was going to recommend Nevermore's thread in case he had figured something out, but he's already been here. Contact the manuf?

9. n2wishn

n2wishn Stamp Collector

No, the pins are not peened at all that is the wierd part. I'm flattening punches and breaking punches and the pins are not moving.

10. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    Exactly same here. I started out with a 20oz hammer, and then upgraded to a 3lb mini-sledge. Damn things Will.Not.Move. :faint:

11. duncan

duncan Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Seattle
    [​IMG]

Spray PB Blaster on the FSB pins and wait 10 minutes.

[​IMG]

Use a finish nail set (middle) and put the hurt on those pins with the hammer of Thor. Wrap tip of nail set in electric tape/duct tape so it does not slip.

Drive it home.

Works every time.

12. jdm0506

jdm0506

Feb 3, 2009
    What sort of punches you using? I can see bending the punches, but breaking? I used a tapered punch about the size of the taper pins. I'd initially tried with a punch from a friend's DPMS punch kit. I mangled that thing good. I ended up going to Sears and picking up a $2 off brand punch.

You only really need the beefy punch to get the pins started out. The larger surface area of the larger punch reduces the amount of slippage. Plus, if it slips, it doesn't really matter if you ding the FSB. I dinged mine quite a bit around the pin holes, and when I installed my 12.0 FSP, you couldn't see it.

13. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Those work for me also!.........:supergrin:
    My nail sets are nowhere near as fancy as yours though! :rofl:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  14. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sep 30, 2006
    Like a screen door in a hurricane.:rofl:

15. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Like a Pimp smackin his Ho!

16. n2wishn

n2wishn Stamp Collector

The punch set I broke came from Northern Tool. I then ordered some from Brownells and I haven't broken those but I do plan on getting some PB Blaster and trying that method.

17. n2wishn

n2wishn Stamp Collector

Thanks for the info! I'm putting this plan into action.

18. Part of the reason the punch is sliding off could be that the punch tip is convex (or flat) and the pins are convex.

After I snapped the shank on my punch, I took a Dremel and ground a concave dish in what was left of my punch. After that, one good whack knocked 'em loose.

19. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

Jan 17, 2003
    NC
    um, forgive me if I am wrong, but.......

Do you need to remove the FSB to install an omega rail?

20. Ljunatic

Ljunatic On The Fringe

Oct 23, 2001
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Omega X rail FSP has a special steel barrel nut like the Lite rail, that must be installed first