close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Front sight a little dinged - fixable or should I replace?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by joe_rkba, Nov 11, 2012.

1. joe_rkba

joe_rkba

Aug 29, 2012
    Front sight of my G26. The dot itself is unaffected, so it has no effect on my shooting. Just a little annoying to look at when fondling the gun. I thought about trying to shape it up using a dremel and sanding wheel. Bad idea? How much is a new front sight and are they easy to install?

[​IMG]

2. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    Take some 1000-2000 grit emery paper and remove the burr.

3. dango

dango

Jun 9, 2008
    I got a stock factory G-36 and G-17 if you want one ,E-mail me.!

4. Replace the front and rear sight with a set of metal sights. Your preference as to whether or not you get night sights, but get metal sights.

5. dango

dango

Jun 9, 2008
    Totally agree! That's why I have these but if you are tight on cash , I'll send free!

6. joe_rkba

joe_rkba

Aug 29, 2012
    duplicate

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  7. joe_rkba

joe_rkba

Aug 29, 2012
    Yeah, I guess that's a lot safer than spinning a sanding wheel at several thousand RPMs against something as small as the front sight. :supergrin:

PM sent.

8. joe_rkba

joe_rkba

Aug 29, 2012
    Yeah, I can see why people get metal sights. These plastic sights are easy to damage.

9. rednoved

rednoved NRA Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Texas
    I dinged my G19 the day after I got it.

10. AK47Man

AK47Man Expert Marksman

Feb 7, 2007
    Missouri
    That would be a good reason to replace your sights with Meprolight Night Sights..

11. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

Sep 4, 2004
    Suriname
    On a slight side note, I hope you only use the front dot for quick sight pickup and fast shooting up to roughly 7-10 yards, beyond that distance, you need a clean sight picture with your main focus directed at the contours/outline of the front sight.

So for working on your accuracy skills, and shots beyond 15 yards or so, you will need a clean edge all around the front sight.

12. Z71

Z71

Oct 29, 2006
    OK
    I went for years with a gen.1 Glock 17 that sported a badly worn front sight. Then I bought my newest Glock..a G19 that was nice and clean except the front sight was battered like the pictured front sight.

A couple topics I started here about self-installing nite-sites..and good deals on nite-sites yielded good advice...and I bought myself two sets of Glock factory nite-sites for $114(price for two sets)...and installed them myself(fairly easy to do).

This simple mod/repair was worth every penny spent!!...I have nice clean sight pictures now!...Steel sights too..like should've been installed in the first place.

If you shop around all the popular Glock parts vendors you will see the more popular types of nite-sites selling for $70-$90 plus or minus per set. However GT Distributors had Glock factory night sight sets for $57(they have a bunch of cool stuff at GTD!)

That's what I did to fix my worn/battered sight-syndrome

13. joe_rkba

joe_rkba

Aug 29, 2012
    Are all night sites metal?

14. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Aug 20, 2002
    Virginia
    "Steel sights too..like should've been installed in the first place."

15. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Aug 22, 2003
    Nevada
    Easy fix...Take some pliers and rip that plastic thing off and replace it with metal

16. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Change out the sights. It's an easy job and good sights are under a hundred bucks. Every time you shoot the pistol you'll be looking at the boogered sight and you'll end up hating yourself for it. Get new steel ones.
    Front sight change out is very easy, you just need the special 'socket' for the nut of the replacement one. 2 minute job. Just make sure if you only go for the front sight, that it's the same height as the old one or you'll be shooting high or low pending if it's shorter or taller than the original.