close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Front cocking serrations

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Reaver, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Reaver

Reaver
    Expand Collapse

I did a quick Google search to see what the deal was but all I came up with was people bickering. I figured I’d come to you folks who seem to be a little more sane.

I have them on my P229 (Custom Shop model, it just kind of happened) and I get that they’re supposed to help with press checks but I don’t get it. Maybe I don’t understand what a press check is like I thought I did. Either way I can and always have been able to check if I’m loaded just fine from the normal (rear) cocking serrations. I kinda’ figured it was a gimmick from the manufactures until I started finding people that sent their pistols in to shops to get them added.

Does anybody know something I don’t or is this actually crazy?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. 12131

Expand Collapse
    Monkeyboy
    CLM

Gimmick, as far as I'm concerned. Have it on my Colt XSE, but they're just there.

3. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

I don't care for them at all.

1911s and other pistols look much better without FCS and I have no need for them.

4. Gertz

Gertz
    Expand Collapse

I like them...

5. jp3975

jp3975
    Expand Collapse

I knew a guy that blew his thumb off using them.

Why not use the standard ones on the rear?

6. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux
    Expand Collapse
    Shut your mouth

Don't care for them. I also think all slide manipulation should be done at the rear of the slide. But what do I know...

MF

7. Breadman03

Breadman03
    Expand Collapse

I think they are a waste. My hand doesn't need to be near the muzzle. If I'm doing a press check, I'm using the rear of the slide. In the dark, I use my pinkie to probe the chamber.

8. Lior

Lior
    Expand Collapse
    GUNS=FREEDOM

My CZ Shadow has them, and I use the front slide serrations often for making ready at the beginning of IPSC stages, locking the slide back before inserting a magazine. Its rear sights are a little sharp and have no bevel, so the ability to rack far from them is useful.

#8 Lior, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  9. Toyman

Toyman
    Expand Collapse

I think they're meant to be used with your weak hand underneath the weapon, not above. It allows for slide manipulation without your hand being over the ejection port, or obstructing the view of the chamber.

If you use them from above the slide, you risk getting your hand in front of the muzzle.

Like this:
    [​IMG]

From: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU68wjU5b80"]The Press Check: How & Why by Gomez-Training.com - YouTube[/ame]

10. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

Depends on the gun as far as asthetics. And I also thought if they were used it should be an underhand grasp.

11. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine
    Expand Collapse

IMO.......ugly, but more important, unnecessary.

12. ChicagoZman

ChicagoZman
    Expand Collapse

Most any new gun made today has some form of loaded chamber indicator, eliminating the need for press checks. But they are cool looking.

13. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Unlike the rest of us, super tactical ninja operators never seem to know/remember if they have a round chambered. Therefore, they do "press checks" to find out what a real shooter would already know. They also don't spend a lot of time worrying about how guns work, so when they chamber a round they like to do an immediate press check to see if a round actually went into the chamber by whatever black magic guns use to get it there.

Since a lot of people new to guns want to be super tactical ninja operators, that creates a demand for press checks and for guns that have front sldie serations for doing them the cool way that super tactical ninja operators do them. Just having the serrations on the front of you slide marks you as a super tactical ninja operator - to newbs you will be godlike...and to shooters you will be marked as a newb by your super tactical ninja operator gun. It's ironic.:rofl:

#13 Bren, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  14. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

I was told by a poster that if I were "professionally trained" then I would have known what to do with the front cocking serration.

15. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Bren,

Can I be a Tactical Super Ninja Operator?

[​IMG]

16. Arc Angel

Arc Angel
    Expand Collapse
    Deus Vult!

First, I'm not really a, 'gun gamesman'; and, consequently, I rarely use Glock's, 'slide stop'. If I could I'd have front cocking serrations on ALL of my semiautomatic pistols. Why? Well, it has nothing to do with, 'press checks'; although that is one reason to use them. The reason, 'Why' I like front cocking serrations is because, sometimes, it's a lot easier to pinch the front of the slide in order to charge the pistol than it is to go, 'hand over top' from the rear.

To answer your question, directly: No, front cocking serrations are NOT just decoration. I've already injured my support hand to the point where all I had left to grab with were my thumb and index finger. Wait until you get older, too (like me!). Once your hand strength isn't what it used to be I think you'll appreciate front cocking serrations more than you do at the present moment. ;)

17. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

I'm missing something here. Why can't you pinch the back of the slide where the original location for the serration is and pull it back to charge the gun?

You're going to have to show me some photos as to how you need the front serration to do this. Why can't you use the thumb and index fingers on the back serration?

18. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux
    Expand Collapse
    Shut your mouth

I think the FCS are for the prostate massage that follows when the bad guy takes the gun away from the ninja warrior.

19. nathanours

nathanours
    Expand Collapse
    Texan

I custom built my 1911 mainly because I did not want the serrations up front.

20. Baba Louie

Baba Louie
    Expand Collapse

Originally designed by Browning on one of his early semi auto long slides (1902 or 05? dunno), later transitioned to the rear and stayed there for 80-90 years or so.

Jeff Cooper advocated press checks to ensure firearm was in fact loaded and hot; early practitioners placed thumb inside triggerguard using index finger at recoil spring/bushing to ease slide back ... later determined this to be a serious no no as any finger inside triggerguard violated rule #3... or could.

Couple that thought with the race guns of the era with all kinds of things hanging over the rear serrations making racking slide a PITA, having a few up front made sense for those types of handguns, and PRESTO CHANGO, it/they were cool and "made the grade". (and only cost a few pennies more, eh? :supergrin:)

So what is new is old. Or vice versa. Again. I can do without them. Early CZ97s did not have them, later models do. Which kinda shows when they at least caught on big.

But if you're to press check using them, hand should be beneath, not over and clear of the muzzle at any rate. Bad form to blow a hole in your hand and get blood all over your nice new handgun or have a live round snug in the extractor ride back and maybe press up against a sticky extruding firing pin with potentially similar painful results.

Some people like them. I guess. :yawn: