close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

~Frog Lube Test~

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by low octane, Nov 28, 2011.

1. low octane

low octane NRA Endowment

Hey sports fans! Had the pleasure of testing two lubes on a stress machine: Weaponshield and Frog Lube.
    Weaponshield, four drops,was applied to the bearing surface. As pressure was applied to bearing, torque was measured on the torque wrench. The pressure was increased to the maximum on the wrench, 150 ft lbs, and was held at that level for a 30 count. There was no seizure of any kind. The machine continued to run with only a 4 AMP increase over a no load reading. I was able to take the bearing out of the machine and hold it in my hand! There was a small polished mark on the bearing at the contact area.
    Frog Lube, same test, four drops were applied to the bearing surface. As pressure was applied to the bearing, torque was measured on the torque wrench. At approximately 30 ft lbs of torque, seizure could be heard as the lubrication was being violated. At approximately 40 ft lbs of torque, the machine locked up completely. In my experience, the Frog Lube did no better than a synthetic oil I had previously tested.

2. illrooster132

illrooster132

BLASPHEMY,I tell you. BLASPHEMY!!!!!
    how dare you. think of children!

sorry had to say it.

3. jr05

jr05

I don't have any dogs in this race, and I have never tried frog lube.

But did you do the correct procedure with cleaning the machine, applying the solution and heating metal, etc?

4. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

It is interesting that you are doing this but what are the appropriate operating parameters for a firearms lube? (I dont know) Your test could be meaningless for function.

For example, as with all things, everything made by man is a compromise of systems. (You have to give up something to gain something.)

Maybe you give up a level of lubricity to gain something else that is important to a firearms.

If the function of a firearm would never require a lube that could withstand 20 ft lbs, then it doesnt matter if the lube fails past that point if it provides some other needed functions. For example, the lube that goes to 30 may not proved many anti corrosion properties, While the lube that fails at 25 does. If the spec is for 20...the one that fails at 25 is a better choice.

This is all very simple but I am just trying to make a point.

5. Boot Stomper

Boot Stomper

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  6. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

...and of course, this.

7. low octane

low octane NRA Endowment

Yes sir. Always wipe it dry and use emery cloth to remove any previously tested material...

8. low octane

low octane NRA Endowment

Actually just started with the test! I only had a very small amount that was donated to me for testing.

9. low octane

low octane NRA Endowment

In regards to heating the metal, when the bearing is pressed onto the turning shaft, heat is something that is generated! IMHO, if the FL were going to bond to the heated metal, that would have been the time.

10. bowerman

bowerman

Thanks again for doing the test low octane! not sure what it all means, but its all very interesting.

11. low octane

low octane NRA Endowment

Yer welcome! It definitely means I am choosing Weaponshield over Frog Lube!!!:cool:

12. Madmax1010

Madmax1010

I can tell you that none of what you said would have made a difference.
    As far as cleaning yes if not it would have made froglube perform better because I believe weaponshield performed much better than froglube and that would have still been on there. And as far as heating the metal 1. From the froglube page itself has been said that heating is not Necessary. 2. Ask any metallurgist and they will tell you that it does not do anything useful.
    Now this is info I have gathered from Metallurgist so take it any way you want.
    One of the metallurgist I talked to in length said that froglube did terrible on the falex test.
    I think thats what you call the test low octane did but I'm not sure.:cool:

I'm not really just ragging on a product I just don't like the claims being made and the manufactures won't back them up.

13. Aurora

Aurora

Sounds like a timkin test - fairly standard in the lube industry. It also sounds like it was done properly.

V.

14. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

Thanks for taking the time to do the test. Will you be testing any other products? I would like to see how Wilsons Ultima Lube does.

15. datnvan

datnvan

have been using weapon shield for over a couple of years now. great stuff. tad thicker than clp but doesnt evaporate like clp and doesnt make my wifes asthma act up from the fumes. i have relatively newer modern guns so i cant tell u i have ever had a firearms failure due to lack of lubrication nore do i have any guns older than 2 years so cant comment on the corrosion resistance, but i have looked at a lot of reviews online about WS and it is superior to most lubes. if u have a super dirty gun it wont get it any cleaner than old hoppes #9 but if the gun ia clean and u apply WS it is much easier to clean afterwards and somewhat smoother action. another plus is WS lists everything on the msds whereas FL does not.

16. low octane

low octane NRA Endowment

Well sir, offered to test different lubes on another thread, but because of the expense involved, am asking that any lube be donated...:cool:

17. threefeathers

threefeathers Scouts Out

Thank you for your research.

18. bowerman

bowerman

If anyone wants to donate some hoppes elite or rem oil, it would be great to see those results....!

19. IT0

IT0

When testing products and procedures, isn’t following the manufacturer’s instructions part of the process?

By not following the instructions, you have not proven anything one way or the other. You made a decision based on your opinion on how it should work and have then stated the results emphatically as fact.

The process to apply FL as recommended by the manufacturer is to thoroughly clean and dry the surfaces with alcohol, then to warm the metal of both surfaces, apply the paste, and then let it sit for 30-minutes before wiping it down. After this application, and prior to shooting the gun they recommend you use the liquid to oil the gun just as you would any other oil.

I am not a salesman and gain nothing from this either way; I just like the product and would like to see an objective test.

20. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

Those of us with a brain knew this is why Froglube refuses to supply any INDEPENDENT & OBJECTIVE test results, i.e., "snake oil!!"

Kudos to Geo. Fennell, the inventor of Weapon Shield!!! Great stuff!!

Low Octane, thank you sir! If you get a chance I would like to see you test the two new MILSPEC CLP's: MPRO7 LPX and G96 CLP.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011