close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Friends daughter graduated HS, also with an Associates degree from college!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by razageorge, Jun 19, 2012.

1. razageorge

razageorge

G-damn, where were these High school programs when I was a teenager!?

She will start of as a Junior in college, at 18. Pretty awesome program the high school has for kids willing to invest hard work into it.

At the other end of the spectrum, I have another friend whose kid is as smart as a whip yet is about to turn 19, failed the 12th grade once and just wants to sit around at home and play games on the PS3?

The girl is Asian and the lazy kid is White. What the hell do the Asian people eat!?

Seriously though, totally had to do with how their parents raised them, saw the progression throughout the years.

2. KommieforniaGlocker

KommieforniaGlocker

They are very structured....

and they are taking over

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/global-f...2/asians-make-largest-group-new-us-immigrants

3. JMarch

JMarch ♩. ♪ ♫ ♪ ♬♩

The school where I work offers free early colleges classes at the local CC or university. They double as high school credits, and you can get up to 66 credits in 5 years of high school. I think it's awesome!

4. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I thought the goal of high school was to finish in 4 years, or less. :dunno:

5. JMarch

JMarch ♩. ♪ ♫ ♪ ♬♩

Eh, depending on where your birthday falls in the year, it can be 4 or 5. Heck, if I had the choice, I would've stayed for a year of free college.

6. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Friend of my daughter's had an Associate's Degree before he graduted high school. He went in to the Navy and came with a Bachelor's in Computer Science. Then he let the gubbmint pay for him to get a Master's degree in Computer Science. Not sure what he's doing now but he's making big bucks doing it.

7. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

I would have killed to do this.

Growing up I kept reading stories about kids elsewhere skipping grades or enrolling in college early. My school district had a policy of not advancing children (or in high school, doing dual enrollment) and my mother was too concerned about my social development to help me seek other avenues. I showed her a thing or two by being socially retarded anyway.

So from elementary school to college I kept reading about kids my age going to college and I never got to be one of them... until I finally dropped out and enrolled in college myself. Still way too late.

Good on her for pulling it off.

The Asian-kid-versus-White-kid is all about parental expectations. There are always exceptions, but if you query successful kids the stories will tend to be pretty similar regardless of race. We just have higher ratios of high-expectation parents in Asian (and Jewish) communities.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  8. arclight610

arclight610

Pokemon. They contain many Omega-3's that are good for the brain.

9. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Asians of the far east come from cultures that still value hard work, education, and family.

I will also add that Western Civilization really went to pot in 1968. The culture revolution and the modern welfare state brought about an entitlement mentality.

10. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Several schools here have programs where you can finish an associates or at least come close while in high school.

My sons school is partnered with the University of Utah so no associates but he graduated with a HS diploma and qualified just short of being a junior at the U of U. I figure it saved me about $18,000.

11. jpa

jpa CLM

There's a reason they're called A-sians and not B-sians.... ;)

A B is like an Asian F. It's a cultural thing.

12. blackjack

blackjack

Good question as I can remember a high school classmate in KS that went to college in OK where they disallowed any college credits gained prior to HS graduation and made her re-take the classes. Of course, this was 40 years ago and I know things have changed but I still remember how that struck as being just wrong, even back then.

13. johnd

johnd

Both our daughters did that, its called the IB Program: International Baccalaureat Program.
    One even then went on to graduate college 3 weeks before her 21st birthday with 2 full Batchelor degrees: criminology and psychology.
    They are just regular kids the daughters of a LEGAL immigrant ( me)

14. Viper16

Viper16

we just put in an addition to one of our cities wealthier part of town, an Collegiate Academy right into a high school. I believe the junior/senior's will take college credit courses their to help alleviate the load in college.

15. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

My Asian daughter leads her peers in every pursuit she engages in: school, running (races), Tae Kwon Do, gymnastics, swimming, dancing. She builds replica homes (not truly to scale, she doesn't understand that yet) our of cardboard boxes complete with details like furniture and clocks with working hands. She writes books and sews the bindings. She pursues things until she perfects them. She's incredibly competitive.

Just yesterday at the pool she was cranking out 25 yd lengths of butterfly so well that the instructors all got called over to watch.

She's 6 and she was born this way.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  16. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

I know a female doc who's Indian. She was an MD at 22.

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Don't let that "noble minority" crap bug you. Plenty of Asian youths out there who are a bunch of screw-ups.
    Not really. My cousin and her husband were the best parents I've yet seen. Their kids still turned out all &^%$-upped. That's why I will never have children. You do your best and there still isn't a guarantee that they'd turn out decent.

18. Z71bill

Z71bill

Most high school programs have been dumbed down to the point that any kid with 1/2 a brain + a little motivation will get bored as hell.

Many schools started allowing kids to take dual level courses - they get both HS and college credit.

Instead of taking algebra in HS - take
    intro level algebra at college and get dual credit.

Truth is - the college courses HAD to be dumbed down because the incoming students were lacking in basic skills.

So in reality the college class is really the same material that use to be taught in high school.

19. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

One AP class my son took in high school is exactly the same as one taught in college. The only difference is that in high school it is a one year class and in college it is a one semester class.

20. arclight610

arclight610

Another thing I've seen in high schools that don't have advanced programs is students dropping out early and getting their GED. They go to a community college their "junior" and "senior" years and transfer to a University from there. Bachelor's degree at 20.