close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Friend of mine has bugged out

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by RMTactical, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Selling to preppers.:whistling:

2. G22Dude

G22Dude

Jan 23, 2009
    I learned a lot within the first 10 mins there

3. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    He does a little bit of everything actually. He is former USAF. He is a software engineer, but he runs that website, among others, also teaches survival skills. He does a lot of other cool stuff like search and rescue as well.

I am more of a casual prepper. I live a normal life for the most part, and I have a little bit more than the average person in terms of knowledge and preps.

This guy "lives" prepping every single day.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  4. Dexters

Dexters

May 3, 2004
    ga
    I read the linked to info a couple of times. I didn't find where he says 'why now'. That interest me more - why now, what to look for etc, very few people can do what he is doing. It is like day dreaming about winning the lottery for most people. People just can't quit their job, move the family and establish a new job an life in a remote area.

There are a lot people on the net who make there money from talking about prepping to other prppers.

Bugging out in a RV isn't new.

This guy has been doing it the right way for 8 years. Maybe if he called himself a prepper he would make more money.

http://blog.vagabonders-supreme.net/

5. Lowdown3

Lowdown3

Apr 10, 2008
    Glad to see others doing it. If you can, you should.

This life is not for everyone.

People think if you move your family to the country, put in gardens, get off grid, raise animals and secure your homestead that you expect the S to HTF tomorrow. That's not the case for most of us. We just like living in the country. We like knowing where our food comes from (about 100 yards from here). We like to have some control over what we consume, whether it's power, water or food. We like the slower country life.

Some of us understand and value the economic implications of living this way. The control of our own resources we consume is important from a survival standpoint, but the savings realized on a day to day basis. So whether it's TSHTF or COLMOLLIIN, we live the way we want to live and enjoy life.

When you are completely debt free, produce your own power, have several income sources, raise most of your own food, you have a much lower need for money. Note I did not say you don't need money. However the people that make this lifestyle work do not live off of "selling eggs and homemade cheese." That's ridiculous and anyone that has that as their sole plan has no plan.

Yes moving out of familiar surroundings in the city or suburbs can be scary for some people. We moved 13 years ago and yes it does take some adjustment. I never lived in the country before, was not raised in the country, etc. This has just been my plan for my entire life.

Whether TEOTWAWKI or COLMOLLIIN, we will be here doing what we've been building for 16 years. If nothing ever happens, great! We will keep living like we are living now and we will have a really inexpensive retirement. If something ever does happen, we will be where we need to be.

Lowdown3

6. pugman

pugman

May 16, 2003
    Wisconsin
    While this is an interesting read and I would welcome the opportunity to pay him to live there for two weeks to see how he does stuff he hasn't bugged out so much as he has decided to live off the grid.

Semantics maybe but he even said he moved 9 fully loaded trailers, pulled by a loaded van AND RV full of stuff

Given the right amount of time (which apparently he had) I think anyone could do it the bigger question is would you want to.

My BIL is ready to go within a year - all he needs is to find a piece of land which I have agreed to go in on with him; I have yet to see his future home's layout - however as an engineer he has told me his design will be as energy efficient as possible (especially during cold Wisconsin winters) and highly efficient when it comes to space.

Please encourage your friend to post updates as I'm very interested...maybe even charge a small fee :supergrin:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  7. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    Three hits on yahoo, and none of them say what it is.

8. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    sounds like he's screwing his kids up for his fantasy "test"

9. Protus

Protus

Apr 6, 2008
    plenty of hits on google......

10. Protus

Protus

Apr 6, 2008

Well said LD.

There's so much more freedom imho once your not "tied" into the daily grid let alone the real one. Thats one major reason why i plan to move to a small 2k+ rural populated town...
    I'll know where my food comes from..i'll know who lives around me...i'll know that if i dont make what i need $$ wise we have to work harder with our hands to make that gap smaller...in other words have something to show for our hard work vs just a pay check to " buy" things with. Now , dont anyone take that as me saying i dont need nor want money. Ive just used what money we have to become debt free vs buying the newest rifle, camo or gear like many "preppers" do.Doing that and becoming debt free really shows you how so many really are slaves to the dollar and their jobs and sacrificing so much along the way ( family time, life time, and health) Stuff that is so much more valuable than a piece of "paper".

Bug out? yeah i'd call it that. Making the choice to do it pre event is a lot BRIGHTER than waiting for "shtf" or colomolliin to do it...:wavey:

i cant wait till i fill up my bug out U- haul and head out of this city ......

11. RMTactical

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    How so?

12. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    Because those kids are not going to grow up well adjusted and socialized.

It can be bad enough with regular home schooled kids. More than likely these kids being so remote, will be pretty much screwed.

13. RMTactical

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    I assure you that you don't have a grasp on the situation if you think these kids don't ever spend time around other kids.

14. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    The question is not if they ever do, but if they do enough to grow up to be normal, well socialized kids.

I've dealt with a whole lot of home schooled kids, and you can pick them out 90% of the time just by the way they act. The more remote they are growing up, the more it stands out.

15. auto-5

auto-5

Nov 13, 2011
    Some men buy a vet when they have a mid life crises some go live like a hippie in the mountains. Personally I would rather have the car.