close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Fried tators.

Discussion in 'Okie Memorial Area' started by okie, Mar 31, 2012.

1. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    At what temp and for how long do you fry your tators? I cant seem to get it right they are either burned or way over cooked and mushy and I don't like mushy tators:upeyes::supergrin:

2. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Oct 1, 2001
    north of the equator
    Don't know the answer, but in Germany they like them with paprika.
    Try it.

3. cj5mrt

cj5mrt

Dec 26, 2005
    Central FL
    I've never had any luck trying to fry raw taters. Whenever the wife and I want home fries I bake a potato the night before and refrigerate it. In the morning I cut it up and fry it in a little oil and butter on medium till they start to brown.
    HTH

4. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    Put a thin coat of oil/bacon fat/crisco on a cast iron pan and pop it into the oven 375° and let them pre-heat together. Cut up your taters and then pour enough EVOO to evenly coat them. Spice to taste. Once the oven is ready pull out the pan and dump the taters in the cast iron and let them sizzle for about three minutes stir once or twice. Place the pan back into the oven for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer the taters out of the pan as soon as they are cooked.

5. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    I had a perfect round of these this morning with my perfect scrambled eggs.

1. Iron skillet
    2. Yukon golds
    3. Peanut oil.

Chop em into homefries and 1 tablespoon of oil over them.

Toss and fry on med heat till brown. MEDIUM HEAT!

10 mins should do it. 35-45 mins is ridiculous. I'm hungry NOW!

For my scrambled eggs, the secret is a blender.

For me, put in the blender

3 eggs
    2 tablespoons of milk
    crush in some fresh ground black pepper
    1/4 tsp of sea salt.

hit puree till the whole mess is blended smooth, a few seconds…then let it sit

Melt a tablespoon of butter over low heat. DON"T BURN IT.

Swizzle the butter around the skillet till its covererd.

Then while the butter is still hot and melted,

Re-start the blender with top off and pour the melted butter into the puree and run for a couple secs to blend the butter into the eggs.

Now pour the eggs into the butter-lubed skillet on low heat and cook as usual, no burning!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  6. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Okie, when I fry taters, I cut them into 1/8" to 1/4" thick slices and drop them in boiling water for a few minutes. They soften just a touch, only takes a few minutes to do. THen I fry them at 350 till they have the color and texture I want. You can also fry them for a few minutes, take them out and drain them, let them cool completely, and then refry them. This gets a nice soft inside crunchy outside, if you like them thicker/chunkier.

7. ilgunguygt

By the way okie, taters should be fried with onions, without a doubt.

8. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

Feb 21, 2010
    Kansas

I agree with this statement^^^^^^^^do not taste right without the onions.

9. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    I tend to agree with this, but this mornings was without and came up just fine.

10. Zonny

Zonny

Apr 22, 2006
    Tempe, Arizona
    This is the trick. Also, make sure your pan and oil is hot before you toss in the taters.

This too:

11. Get yourself a part time job at Five Guys and learn how to do it right.

[​IMG]

12. ilgunguygt

Its like biscuits and gravy without hot sauce. Sure, its still good, I mean, its biscuits and gravy right? But put some Franks Red Hot on it, and its GREAT! Fried potatoes and onions are the same way to me.

13. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    I do it just like my grandma did in her 100+ year old cast iron skillet then fry a few slices of fatback. When it's done, I drop in the potatoes in the grease and let them brown on the bottom. Once browned, I add onion, salt & pepper and stir. I put a plate on top then leave them alone until the bottom is browned again. Repeat a couple more times.

14. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    And they also at times require hot sauce! Not always at breakfast, but….

My other best tater recipe…

Cut a couple yukes (yukon golds) up in to homefries size.
    dump in plastic back with half a chopped onion
    shake to mix em up good.
    add a couple tablespoons of peanut oil
    shake again to coat
    dump them in a "bowl" of aluminum foil
    shake old bay seasoning over the whole mess
    slice up chunks of bacon and place uncooked over the taters
    a little more old bay

put on the charcoal grill, with wood chips on the charcoal…oak, cherry, mesquite

smoke for at least 3/4 of an hour

serve with hot sauce and grilled chicken

15. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Jul 21, 2005
    At the beach
    The secret to great french fries is to fry them twice. It's the only way to get a soft perfectly cooked inside with a crispy outside. Fry them first, in small batches at 325 until they just start to brown, about 5-7 minutes. Take them out and let them cool down. Raise the heat of the oil to 350. Put the french fries back in the oil, again in small batches, until they are golden brown. This may take another 5-7 minutes. Turn out onto paper towels or a rack and salt immediately. Let drain for a minute and serve. Perfect crispy creamy french fries.

ps

You do know to hold raw french fries in water until you're ready to fry them to keep them from browning right? Make sure to pat them dry before you put them in the oil the first time.

16. method

method

Mar 27, 2002
    Cleveland, OH
    I make hash browns by running a potato through a cheese shredder, mix in plenty of chopped onion, and fry in oil in cast iron over medium-high till nice and browned, then turn. I add cheese sometimes after turning.

17. ilgunguygt

That sounds pretty damn good.