close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Freemasons?

Discussion in 'Freemason's Lodge' started by duho7761, Jun 17, 2007.

1. duho7761

duho7761 I'm a nurse.

Jul 7, 2006
    Amarillo, Texas
    My father is a freemason, Scottish and York Rites, and he is a Kiva Shriner. Here lately, I have become curious about what Freemasons are all about. Today we had a long talk. Dad told me to read up on the internet and talk to other Masons about it.

So, Are there any Freemasons here? If so, why did you become a part of Masonry? What does being a Freemason mean to you?

I would ask that only those involved with Masonry answer this post. I know that this can be a hot-button topic. All I want is a friendly discusion, NOT a flame war!

2. Goose5

Goose5

Jul 2, 2005
    I am in the same boat as you. My father, brother, and grandfather are all past masters. My father was a 33 degree. I have been thinking about joining as well. Regardless of what follows. Free Masonary is all about self improvement.

3. davis513

davis513

May 16, 2006
    NC
    I found some interesting information on the Wikipedia site on Freemasonry regarding some of the history, etc of Freemasonry. Like you I have known friends that are Freemasons and was interested.

Check out the following link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry

4. USMC79to83

USMC79to83

Mar 10, 2004
    NV
  5. Trademark

Trademark tabula rasa

Apr 12, 2004
    If your father and/or Grandfather were in the lodge you are known as a "Lewis". This makes it much easier. There isn't a vote on you in most jurisdictions.
    Sit and talk with a MM. See if it's for you.

6. JimmyD

JimmyD

Jul 18, 2004
    Better than having to pay, I guess! :thumbsup:

7. Zero_G

Zero_G

Jun 10, 2007
    The website http://www.masonicinfo.com/ has a ton of info, mostly discussing the objections to Freemasonry.

Freemasonry is not a secret society, not a religion, not a cult. It is a fraternal organization seeking to 'make good men better'.

Keith

8. 9L82

9L82 Caffeine Addled

My father is a Master Mason, Scottish Rite and York Rite. I joined 3 years ago. Due to my work schedule, I rarely get to attend. The people I have met who are involved are the kindest, most decent men I have ever met. They are the kind of men you would trust with your life. It is not a cult or a secret society. It is a fraternity based on a rich history. You will not be sorry you became involved.

9. Faulkner

Faulkner Patriot Millennium Member

Aug 21, 1999
    Arkansas Ozarks
    I don't think it's a cult, but I do happen to be anti-freemason. (No flame intended, just wanted to note that there are those of us who do not think it's a good thing.)

10. 9L82

9L82 Caffeine Addled

Why?

11. HEMI 27

HEMI 27

Dec 23, 2005
    My grandfather is a Freemason. He always has a ring on with the symbol on it. Never really asked him to much about it though.

It is intriguing and my grandfather has been a real role model in my life so the masons cant be too bad. I should ask him more about this before he passes (congested heart failure) due to his health.

12. G27Chief

G27Chief Lifetime Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Southwestern Gawjaw
    Other than being a long time family tradition, it feels great to be a brother to so many "whp ahve traveled this way before"

13. major

major Rejected member

Aug 19, 2001
    Cochrane, Alberta
    Same here. I am anti-mason because of some of the things I have read about their beliefs. FWIW, my Dad was one and was active and a very good, decent man. However, I want no part of them. But to each his own. I am not trying to flame anyone here.

14. Dustwallow

Dustwallow

Jun 6, 2007
    I am not really anti-mason, I mean I have nothing against them but I will never join. I mean it seems weird for that many men to "hang out" so much and have so many "rituals"

FWIW I really think the mormon church is more of a cult than the masons.

15. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Mar 23, 2001
    WV
    This says all I need to know:

"Freemasonry is incompatible with the Catholic faith. Freemasonry teaches a naturalistic religion that espouses indifferentism, the position that a person can be equally pleasing to God while remaining in any religion.

Masonry is a parallel religion to Christianity. The <New Catholic Encyclopedia> states, "Freemasonry displays all the elements of religion, and as such it becomes a rival to the religion of the Gospel. It includes temples and altars, prayers, a moral code, worship, vestments, feast days, the promise of reward and punishment in the afterlife, a hierarchy, and initiative and burial rites" (vol. 6, p. 137).

Masonry is also a secret society. Its initiates subscribe to secret blood oaths that are contrary to Christian morals. The prospective Mason swears that if he ever reveals the secrets of Masonry--secrets which are trivial and already well-known--he wills to be subject to self-mutilation or to gruesome execution. (Most Masons, admittedly, never would dream of carrying out these punishments on themselves or on an errant member).

Historically, one of Masonry's primary objectives has been the destruction of the Catholic Church; this is especially true of Freemasonry as it has existed in certain European countries. In the United States, Freemasonry is often little more than a social club, but it still espouses a naturalistic religion that contradicts orthodox Christianity. (Those interested in joining a men's club should consider the Knights of Columbus instead.)

The Church has imposed the penalty of excommunication on Catholics who become Freemasons. The penalty of excommunication for joining the Masonic Lodge was explicit in the 1917 code of canon law (canon 2335), and it is implicit in the 1983 code (canon 1374).

Because the revised code of canon law is not explicit on this point, some drew the mistaken conclusion that the Church's prohibition of Freemasonry had been dropped. As a result of this confusion, shortly before the 1983 code was promulgated, the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith issued a statement indicating that the penalty was still in force. This statement was dated November 26, 1983 and may be found in <Origins> 13/27 (Nov. 15, 1983), 450."

Copyright (c) 1993 Catholic Answers. Reprinted with permission from the June 1993 issue of ****is Rock> magazine.

16. Kingslayer

Kingslayer My New Title

Jan 20, 2006
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Hold on.

You took a Catholic biased (read the copyright) explanation of what FreeMasons are? And that's good enough for you? When I grow up, I want an open mind, just like you!

FreeMasons are just another way for men to get away from their nagging wives. Just like the Eagles, Elks, KofC, etc.

17. 9L82

9L82 Caffeine Addled

The only requirement is that you have a belief in God. Beyond this, any discussion of religion is expressly prohibited because it may cause turmoil among brothers.

Masons spend millions of dollars doing God's work. The Shriner's, all Master Masons, run hospitals for children...free of charge. They operate literacy centers and dyslexia treatment centers. They donate millions of dollars to charity and serve in the highest ranks of government and society.

They have seemed to avoid the many embarassments that the Catholic religion had and continues to have. I am a religious person who believes in God. Instead of relying on a religion who is threatened by people not joing the Knights of Columbus ( a catholic organization, I joined the Masonic Lodge and educated myself.

I am quite satisfied that God smiles down on the acts of my brother Masons. Quit letting people tell you how to believe. If you choose not to join or appreciate what the Mason have to offer, fine. But be honest and admit you are ignorant of their purpose.