close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Free Microsoft Word Substitue Software

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by glock22357, Feb 25, 2011.

1. glock22357

glock22357 Got Ammo???

Mar 1, 2004
    Benton Harbor, MI
    Is there any free software available on the interwebz that can be used to replace Word for working on documents? My computer had a short-term version of Microsoft Word for Students and it's long expired.

The problem this causes is that I can't do my job searches (really the application/resume part) at home, and requires that I got to the library.

I appreciate any help ya'll can provide. I've searched on google and found nothing.

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000

3. MedicOni

MedicOni

Nov 19, 2008
    Central NM
    Open office. I've used it for years and it's awesome. IT can open damn near every type of document

4. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    I use open office as a substitute for microsoft's over priced office suit....

5. frank_drebin

frank_drebin 1-man flash mob

Jan 15, 2009
  6. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Oct 16, 2008
    Missouri, East of KC
    Open Offiice (used to be Star Office) is great.

7. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Jul 14, 2005
    With Amber Lamps
    OpenOffice and Libre Office are full office suites. For just word processing like MS Word, Abiword is lightweight and fast. Microsoft has free document viewers available to open other types of MS Office documents without requiring a full office suite program.

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I'm not sure about the Windows version, but on Linux, you can choose to just install "Word" or "Spreadsheet" application, rather than installing the whole suite.

IGF

9. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Jul 14, 2005
    With Amber Lamps
    Abiword is smaller and, lighter and faster.

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Yeah, but that really wasn't my point... My point was, is you can just install the Word Processor, if you don't want the whole suite.

I've gotten kinda hooked on "Word" over the years.. :)

IGF

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  11. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Jul 14, 2005
    With Amber Lamps
    The Abiword installer is a 7.94 MB download, the OpenOffice installer is a 137 MB download, the Libre Office installer is a 213 MB download. even only choosing the Word processor results in a slower program than Abiword that takes a lot longer just to open after it's installed. The programs "look" and function about about the same.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  12. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Jul 14, 2005
    With Amber Lamps
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  13. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    Open Office is a great piece of software and free to boot. Can't go wrong there.

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    You don't seem to get it... I'm not disputing that Abiword is lighter than Open Office Word Processor. You stated Open Office and Libre Office were full Office Suites(which they are)... and I simply pointed out it's pretty to just install the app you want.

15. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Jul 14, 2005
    With Amber Lamps
    I get it and I have used all of them. OpenOffice Writer takes about 10 times as long to open as Abiword. Just to install OpenOffice Writer requires a 137 MB download. The Abiword installer is 7.94 MB.

16. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Again though, the OP said nothing about needing a "light" program... While I don't disagree Abiword is lighter, it's irrelevant to the discussion. I'm not really sure why it would matter how large the installer download is. What, 10min to download, vs 2min? You can say, "Well, he may be on dial up".. Yeah, he may be, but he didn't relay that as a concern (just as he didn't say he was worried about how "light" the word processor is)

Again, i see you're point, but I don't think its relevant at all. You keep pouncing on how "light" it is, when that really wasn't the point of the thread (or anything I've said up to this point).

17. Depends on what you want to do with it.

I use MS Word 97 (which is not free but can be bought for as little as $15 on eBay). There are freely downloadable updates for it that let you open .docx files created in newer versions of Word.

18. Can use just use Wordpad? It is already included in windows and it is Word compatible.