Glock Talk banner

Free float end cap

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Walt_NC 
#1 ·
I am ready to buy the last few parts to finish my ar build and am running into a roadblock. I want a free float quad rail to go over my low profile gas block but I also want a clean finished look. The only company I see that has a matching end cap for their free float handguards is yhm. Not that I dislike their hand guards but there has to be other options out there. I really like the DD and Spikes quadraild but it looks unfinished with no end cap. I know I know function over form but I want a finished look to match my purse and shoes. (There... now the bad joke that was bound to happen is out of the way.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

#9 ·
Probably not common cause it defeets the purpose of free float? Just saying!:faint:
While I am not a YHM fan, the end cap has no restriction on the
free floating of the barrel. "Just the facts, Ma'am"........not just what
You care to pull out of mid air!

Not common because they add weight for no reason, and can make it easier for the rail to flex and come in contact with the barrel.
No FF rail I've ever seen would flex enough to contact a barrel.

#10 ·
While I am not a YHM fan, the end cap has no restriction on the
free floating of the barrel. "Just the facts, Ma'am"........not just what
You care to pull out of mid air!

No FF rail I've ever seen would flex enough to contact a barrel.
I have seen it - once. Truth be told, I think it was an out of spec upper or barrel nut allowing the barrel and/or rail to flex far more than it should.

#11 · (Edited)
If you're going to be low crawling, etc, debris is going to find its way in to your handguard via the cooling vents. It's a whole lot easier to shake out through the empty front end than removing your gas block (if you're using an A2 front sight), unscrewing the end cap and then shaking it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.