close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Frame curved and jammed after firing

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Ejayisson, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Ejayisson

Ejayisson

Apr 8, 2012
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Today I took my Glock 22 Gen4(5000 rounds since March 2012) out to the range and experienced an issue. I loaded with Tulammo, pulled the slide back to chamber a round, and fired. On the first shot the slide locked back, frame curved, and jammed. It ejected the case from the first round, and had the next one partially out of the mag.

As soon as it jammed I went to clear(chamber was clear of any rounds). I couldn't release the slide. Had to place barrel on table to force it down to release the frame from being curved before it either cracked or was damaged more. Once I did that I was able to cycle the slide, and the frame straightened out again(besides the pig nose). However I can not pull down on the slide lock tabs to disassemble the gun.

I'm assuming its possible I didn' put the spring back into the half moon when I cleaned it last. I'm usually very good about it, but mistakes happen. After cleaning I do cycle the slide a few times to make sure its smooth and to distribute any oil on the rails. I didn't feel any issues when I did that, nor when loading that first round. I also cycled the slide a few times before using to make sure it was empty. When I fired the shot I did feel like gunpowder residue pepper my face(good thing I had eye protection).

Problem is..

How to I get the slide lock tabs unstuck?
    Is it even safe to shoot again, or am I better off sending it to glock?

I'm hoping I just need to replace the spring instead of sending it off to glock. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

2. Ejayisson

Ejayisson

Apr 8, 2012
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Red line is to illustrate how the frame was curved before I released the pressure.

Attached Files:

3. Audiman77

Audiman77

Jul 9, 2012
    Baltimore MD
    Man I've never seen the frame bend like that. I'd send it back. Who knows what type of stress the frame was under while bent.

4. Ejayisson

Ejayisson

Apr 8, 2012
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Well things just got a little interesting...

I was inspecting the barrel a little more and decided to check down it with a flashlight. To find there is a casing logged inside about 3/4-1in in. The back of the casing looks to be blown off. Which would explain what I was peppered with. I'm gussing it was just a bad round, with a weak casing. Thinking the barrel might have buldged and is stopping me from being able to take the tabs down to take slide off.

So its going back to glock, and contacting Tulammo.

5. Ejayisson

Ejayisson

Apr 8, 2012
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Here's a few pictures showing the case stuck.

Attached Files:

6. DocWills

DocWills

Mar 11, 2012
    head came off the round . Repair by Glock needed. This used to cause a kaboom so the new design is working thank goodness. This is why I dont carry a 40. The 45 and 9 seem less stressed.

7. Ejayisson

Ejayisson

Apr 8, 2012
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Only one round was fired. Barrel was cleaned the week before with a bore brush. So not possible anything was stuck in barrel prior to firing.

8. DocWills

DocWills

Mar 11, 2012
    :supergrin:Nah its not you and very common in 40 cal. Called a head seperation and it used to blow the crap out of a glock.

9. Ejayisson

Ejayisson

Apr 8, 2012
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Head seperation sounds more like it. Would that blow the back off the casing? Im glad it didn't blow up in my face lol. Still didn't enjoy being peppered, but it could have been worse.

Assuming this is caused by cheap ammo? Will Glock even cover this type of damage or will I have to go after Tulammo?

10. DocWills

DocWills

Mar 11, 2012
    Honestly Id have to see the gun. I really doubt it suffered but the frame might need replacement.It used to be in pieces, this is the first of the 4s i have seen blow and damage if any is not what it used to be.

The top half will be fine but Glock will warranty it. I love Glocks. When you hear us talk about replacing worn recoil spring assemblies this is why.

Yea its a defective cartidge that loses the rear half like that.

Glock is actually designed to blow down thru the mag well if you lose a round like that. The 1,2,3 will blow the slide off and leave you holding the warped frame, mag on the ground. New design retained the slide and barely flexed the frame. I like that. Less chance of injury.

Id ask for a new gun but even if they just replace the frame you did good.

11. DocWills

DocWills

Mar 11, 2012
    NP , Glock will likely be interested in the lot number on the ammo.:supergrin:

12. scosgt

scosgt

May 25, 2011
    As soon as you stated that you were "peppered" I knew a case had split. When the slide opened, the chamber was full of gas that should have gone out the front. Instead it came back at you.

If it was a new gun, I would have guessed possibly an out of round chamber or rough chamber.

Since you have fired it before, I go with a bad round. Is that steel cased?

I think you can't take it down because when the frame flexed the slide lock probably get bent or the channels are misaligned.

You can get the case out. All you need is a thin tool to pound between the case the the chamber to bend the case walls in. As long as the tool is softer than the barrel you won't hurt anything. Takedown might be harder, would have to look at it.

But it is probably best to send it to Glock and let them check it out. Although, while I know about the KABOOM problem (caused by using the same round on top of the mag repeatedly to chamber, the bullet gets pushed in and the pressure goes through the roof) I don't think this was the same. The case simply let go, for whatever reason. Glock plastic is somewhat indestructible, but you may have gone over the top. :shocked:

13. Ejayisson

Ejayisson

Apr 8, 2012
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Sadly I threw out the box for the ammo the other week when I reloaded my mags.

Tulammo is steel cased. I don't know if that makes it more likely for a head separation or not. Either way I don't think I will be using the rest of that batch of 40's.

Calling Glock in the morning. Not going to play with it anymore.

14. Glock Junkie

Glock Junkie

May 24, 2012
    Tampa,Florida
    Your guide rod is also bent. It could have been alot more damage than what happened. I have heard alot of bad things about Tulammo. Hopefully Glock will warranty your gun.

15. Ejayisson

Ejayisson

Apr 8, 2012
    Iowa City, Iowa
    That's just the angle I took the picture. Had to shine a flashlight down the barrel at the same time while taking it.

16. SCC

SCC Member Me

Jun 10, 2007
    kennesaw GA.
    call glock !!!
    and ask them what should be done with the gun ...
    and let them know what happened and they will take care of you ...
    don't trash the round in the chamber ...
    let them look at it so they can see what ammo it was and they can determined what ammo was used in the gun .. and let you know what to do with it ...
    ( 770-432-1202 )

17. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    I agree. SJ 40