Found my first H&K today

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by wdp, Mar 17, 2013.

1. wdp

wdp

I stopped this morning at one of my LGS only to find that the recent gun frenzy stripped out most of the available gun inventory, but something caught my eye. A lonely HK P9S Target .45ACP was sitting there just waiting for someone like me to come along. I never owned a H&K pistol; they always had the appeal but sometimes the price was out of reach. The dealer helped me do a quick strip and inspect, no abuse found, barrel clean, 2 mags, adjustable sights, and extremely good condition for it's age.
    I decided to make it mine, so did the paperwork and I'll submit for my purchase coupon this week. Came home and ordered a new polymer buffer since it sounds like that's a common wear out part and it should arrive within a few days.
    The good news is I got the gun for $499 and from what I see on GB they demand much more. Just hoping some of you might add some more insight to this gun. I think I did ok today and I'm looking forward to my first HK.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Found a broken hammer pin in my 9mm AR-style G9 carbine today... Black Rifle Forum Jul 27, 2015
    Found my senior mullet, uh, I mean portrait today... The Okie Corral Jun 11, 2015
    I found something cool in a dumpster today! The Okie Corral Jun 9, 2015
    What's so special about Blue Dot? Finally found some today. 10mm Reloading Forum Sep 6, 2014
    Found some 22lr today, then ate lunch. General Firearms Forum Jul 8, 2014

3. BuckyP

Lifetime Member

Congrats. Sounds to me like you stole it. Post pics when you take possession.

4. Wow, you stole that thing! :wow:

Congrats on a great pistol. :cool:

5. wdp

wdp

Thanks for the comments. I was fairly sure that the gun was under priced. I asked how long it was it was in the case and was told it had been some time just looking at the tag number. By a visual inspection, it looks to be an exceptionally well engineered gun. I always fancied the P7 and thought that squeeze safety was an innovative feature. Both are unique and very cool guns.

6. La26

Sounds like a sweet deal. Please post photos when you can. BTW, what is a "purchase coupon" ?:dunno:

7. wdp

wdp

We need to get a purchase document (make, model, serial #)signed by the county Judge. It gets mailed to us in the form of a coupon which we hand to the FFL when walking away with the gun. Every county in NY handles this process differently but it's the way it's done and you deal with it. Wish it were different but you just do it and get it done.

8. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Almost Done

:faint::ambulance:

9. Congrats on the gun, but damn it is sad that you have to go through that to exercise a constitutional right.

10. Interesting, never heard about the purchase coupon. I am now wondering if there has been any tracking to see if in fact it has had any effect on violent crime where firearms were used. And yes you got a fantastic deal. The only down side is the HK bug is a terrible disease. You may already be infected and not even know it! Let us know how it works out with a range report and pics.

11. wdp

wdp

Really looking forward to shooting this gun. Another new disease I do not need, thanks for the warning. Probably won't get to do any shooting for at least 2 weeks with business trips and upcoming vacation planned.

#10 wdp, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  12. Gregoire G

Platinum Member

Great deal, congrats. Mags are expensive so you did good getting two of them. Smart move on the buffer too as they tend to get crispy and crumble.

13. wdp

wdp

Yes sir all the research I've done shows the buffer is a problem over time. Being a polymer it breaks down and solvents most Iikely contribute to some of the problem. I don't want to fire the gun without changing the buffer for fear of damaging the frame. Extra mags are non-existent as are some replacement parts but I don't think this gun needs any replacements, in fact it looks well kept. I mentioned earleir that the P7 always appealed to me and is a model more familiar to me. Someday down the road maybe....

#13 wdp, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  14. wdp

wdp

[​IMG]

Well here she is guys. Not much of a photo, took it with the phone today but wanted to get it up on the forum for viewing. The more I look at this gun, the more impressed I am with the design and engineering. I'm not crazy about the mag release function, but this will likely not be a ccw gun and more of a range fun gun.

15. Nice.

Congrats!

1911club#410

16. Gregoire G

Platinum Member

Looks like she is in nice shape.

Enjoy!

17. Nice score there my friend. ? is there an warrant for your arrest since you stole that HK LOL.

18. wdp

wdp

There very well maybe after I tell the dealer that he let it go awefully cheap. I don't think they really knew what they had, in fact I was told it was sitting in that case for some time. Go figure huh?
    I know where there's 2 just like it in 9mm but with combat sights for $900 each. Tempting but I would rather have a P7 if I could find one reasonably priced.