Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Found a G17 Gen1, can anyone tell me more?

Discussion in 'Glock Collector's Club' started by Jack Worm, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Jack Worm

Jack Worm

Jul 20, 2003

Found a G17 in a shop here in Sweden today s/n AV508. As far as I know this is a generation 1 from about 1986(??) according to the serialthread here on GT.

Can anyone confirm that/and/or tell me any more from the serial?

It had the old box and two steel lined magazines (perhaps changed over the time).
    (not the actual gun, just how the case looked like)

Thankfull for any input.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  2. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

Feb 23, 2004
    The date listed here would be pretty accurate. You can always call Glock and ask them about the pistol. In Sweden, I think the number would be 43 (0)2247-90300-0

3. ULVER

ULVER Dixie Rebel

Jan 8, 2001
    ATL., GA. USA
    I have one of the first 17's, brought into the USA for police evaluation. It was birthed June 1986. I think that original container was intended for the Scandinavian military forces.

Within a year, that configuration was gone, at least in the States. I don't know if this is the reason, but it was learned, that the gun should be stored in it "hot!"

Glock has tried to get me to exchange it for a newer design for close to 25 years now! Always newbies at Glock coming over to check my baby out.

If I were you, I'd be all over it, if it's in good condition!
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  4. ohio pat

ohio pat

Nov 23, 2010
    I have a first generation Glock 17, ser ESXXXUS.

I bought it many years ago, According to my reference material my pistol was made in February of 1989.

It came with the original box, I am the second owner, purchased it around 1992.

Pat Olvey
  5. ohio pat

ohio pat

Nov 23, 2010
    I have a 2nd generation Glock 17, serial TVXXXUS, it was manufactured in Jan of 1991.

Apparently the first generation Glock 17's lasted no more than 7 years according to The Complete Glock Reference Guide.

The dates they use for the 1st generation are 1982-1989
    2nd generation 1989-1997
    3rd generation 1997
    as we probably know the 4th generation was produced in 2010. (I think)

Pat Olvey
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  6. Hurricanes

Jan 17, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    Saw a Gen 1 17 at a gun show yesterday, and i thought it was amazing. Even an older guy next to me said he hadn't seen one in a while. I would have loved to have taken it home, but I just couldn't stomach paying $479 + tax.
  7. retredleg

Nov 16, 2010
    Fort Worth, TX
    I recently purchased my first Glock from a friend; G17 Gen 1, (never even fired!!!) for only $200! I put a Hogue slip-on grip on it and loaded it with some Critical Defense Ammo. I also purchased a Fobus paddle holster for it. I have yet to shoot it, but I love the feel of this gun. My friend said he bought it in 1986 and it's just sat in his safe until he sold it to me. I broke it down and cleaned & lubed it. Can't wait to shoot it. Any idea what this gun is really worth?
  8. ohio pat

ohio pat

Nov 23, 2010
    I went to the Sharonville Ohio gun show on Sunday 1-16-2011 and found one dealer with a number of used Glock 23's and 17's.

They were used, what with Glock Factory repair policy, I do not worry about buying a used Glock.

Prices from this dealer were in the $300 to $400 range.

In the past when I purchased a used Glock I would call their plant at Smyrna, Ga phone 770-432-1202. They would check to see if my pistol had been in for repairs or upgrades. If mine was eligible for free the free upgrades I would send it to them.

I do not know if the same free upgrade policy is in effect.

Pat Olvey