close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Forgive the noob...which JHP ammo (Glock 26)?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by oshuwah, Mar 19, 2011.

1. oshuwah

oshuwah

Feb 20, 2011
    I have a new Glock 26 Gen4 and am looking for a reasonably priced, reliable JHP round. I dont need the uber-best and frankly hope I never have to see how effective they are!

I have limited funds to shift through different rounds at the range to find which self defense round works well with my baby glock. Hoping to find a 50 round per box option for around $15. If I'm off base or unrealistic on price, just let me know.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

2. GlockSupremacy

GlockSupremacy Recycle Kids!

Feb 14, 2005
    MN
    Generally quality defensive ammo is about a dollar a shot in 9mm. 20rds/$20

However, if you have a police supply company near you, you can get a better deal at 50rds/$32ish

I will recommend what I use and feel is proven based on my research. 124gr +p gold dot (speer)

Don't skimp out on defensive ammo imho.

Welcome to GT!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

3. I use Winchester PDX1 +P 124 grain JHP in my Glock 26... But Speer Gold Dot is just as good...

Premium JHP ammo generally comes in boxes of 20, and cost 18-20$ for one box...

[​IMG]

4. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    +1
    this is what I use in my G17 Love them and there cheap
    18.95 a box of 20 at walmart... As far as getting 50 for 15bucks I never ever seen a deal like that ever

5. bel970

bel970

Mar 19, 2010
    northern NV
    Really any defense round from one of the better manufactures should get the job done. I like Speer gold dot short barrel, Corbon 125g jhp and Winchesters ranger line. nice thing about the Winchesters, just picked up a few boxes of the 127gr +p+ jhp for 24.95 each, and they come in boxes of 50 for about the same price as everyone else charges for boxes of 20.

6. bapak2ja

bapak2ja

Nov 4, 2010
    It may be cheap, but I have found WWB ammo (147gr JHP Personal Protectin) at Wally's World for about $25/50 rnd box. The ammo works well in my G26 3rd generation. So far, I have used them for training without difficulty. I would not hesitate to carry it in my EDC G26 or Taurus 709 Slim.

Right now I have MagTech JHP in the pistols, but I plan to go to the range today and shoot them out of the mags. I have had them in the mags since before Thanksgiving, so I want to replace them with fresh ammo. The WWB may be the replacement ammo, but I have to review what other older stuff I still have. Wnat to rotate out the oldest first.

7. You might find 20 rounds for $15-$20. The Winchester White Box JHP at Walmart is probably the cheapest brand name SD round you can find locally.

For $5-$10 more, you can find very good SD ammo online. Buy in box of 50 and your price/round drops significantly. Check the links that have already been posted and look for Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, Winchester Ranger, etc.

8. JBP55

JBP55

Mar 4, 2007
    Louisiana
    You should be able to find 50 round boxes of Gold Dot, HST, Ranger T in the $25 range.
    You should not pay more than 60 cents a round for quality 9mm ammo.
    The PDX1 is overpriced at $1 a round.

9. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    IMO, doesn't exist. If you carry a gun, put decent SD ammo in it. IMO, you only need to test one full mag from each mag you carry, run it at full speed, no malfunctions, then I call it good to go. It's always your ability more than the ammo or caliber, but good caliber & good ammo does give you a marginal edge. In a gunfight for your life, what is that worth?:dunno: Like jb said, you can find good SD ammo on line for $25/50, about as cheap as it's gonna get.

10. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    Yes, I've never had the opportunity to shoot any of this particular round but it enjoys a good reputation and it's about the most reasonable priced quality JHP offered by anyone.

Some online ammo sites are offering Remington Golden Saber JHP ammo for less than $15/box of 25. That ammo has always worked well in my pistols.

The main thing is that although none of us hopes to ever find out how effective our self-defense weapons are, if that time ever does come the last thing I'd want to be on my mind is the regret I didn't have the best ammo I could find to carry in the pistol.

11. Jager1

Jager1 UtilitarianSect Lifetime Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I simply answered the question. :supergrin:

12. WildManPiet

WildManPiet

Dec 30, 2010
    Las Vegas
    They all do.
    My gen4 26 likes them all.
    I finally went with Ranger JHP. I have both 147gr and 127gr+p+
    currently using the 147 in the 26, and the +p+ in the 17. The standard load, +p, +p+ debate can go on forever and get nowhere.

13. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    That is YOUR particular gun. Neve assume that what works in your works in anyone elses. Always test your own SD ammo. I even test revolver ammo before I carry it.

14. Edmo01

Edmo01

Feb 19, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    All of the major ammo manufacturers makes good, high quality, purpose built JHP self-defense ammo. To debate over which is better is like debating over engine oils or blondes, brunettes, and red heads.

Generally, for "premium" self-defense ammo you will pay around $1 per round, so it will not be your plinking ammo unless you have hit the lottery. The key is to pick one, verify accuracy and function in YOUR pistol, and then carry it.

That being said, I use the Remington 124 grain Golden Saber ammo in both my G19 and G26. Is it better than the others? No. However, the Remington plant is 20 miles from my house so buying their ammo supports my local economy and I get good ammo to boot.

Edmo
    [​IMG]

15. darkscribe

darkscribe

Dec 5, 2002
    Ammunitiontogo.com has the +P Gold Dot for $25 a box.

SGAmmo.com has: 127 grain Ranger +P+ at $27
    124 grain Gold Dot at $25
    115 grain Ranger +P+ at $20
    147 grain Ranger-T at $27

The 115 grain Ranger is older technology, but it has served well. The first two loads are lauded as about the best compromise between light/fast, and slow/heavy.

I wouldn't worry overmuch about reliability in any of the top-tier ammo loadings. A bigger variable is how well can the shooter do with it. For that reason alone, one of the more recent 147 grain loadings (Ranger-T, HST or Gold Dot) might be easier to control under rapid fire.

16. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    just wanted to add when it comes to firearms there is never a noob question. Better to ask then to not know and get your self hurt or someone else.
    Also welcome to glock talk