close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ford Motor New Police Interceptor

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Wesley w/Glock, Oct 1, 2012.

1. This is my first time posting at GT in something like five (5) years.

Check out Ford’s new police interceptor.
    see: Ford Police Interceptor

2. Yes, we have been discussing them a bit . . . :)

3. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I got another CVPI this year. This next year we aren't sure what we are gonna get. Chief is trying to get us Tahoes, but the city council is fighting it hard. Not sure what we will end up with, but we need some new rides ASAP.

4. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    While you were gone, I retired and got this as a take home vehicle!

[​IMG]

5. Rex G

Rex G

Mar 24, 2003
    SE TX
    My patrol division has one or two of these, plus a couple of Caprices. Officers seem to like them. My PD acquired a mix of these new Fords, Caprices, and a few Tahoes, seemingly in an effort to see what rises to the top.

A Tahoe was briefly loaned to us, to be evaluated by several officers on each shift for one week each. I and one other officer seemed to be the only ones who gave the Tahoe high
    evaluation commentary, at my division, and it looks like that Tahoe ended up with the truck
    enforcement detail, which uses Tahoes and pickups. I am driving one of the latest delivery
    of Crown Vics, which I really hope will not be crashed by one of the young bucks on evening shift.

6. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I'm a little partial to Pepper here

[​IMG]

Got a little work to do before we're ready for mounted patrol. Honestly its me that needs the most work, but she needs another year of age on her before I'd trust her in a crowd.

7. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    Is that the slower neutered Ford Mustang? :tbo:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  8. I'm betting there has been no gelding here. I really doubt though that it is... street legal. :cool:

9. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Aug 27, 2004
    TX
    There's been some talk that when we start replacing our CVPIs, the Ford Interceptor SUV is the likely replacement. Who knows if this rumor has any merit.....

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  10. Having no LE experience I don't want to be the arm-chair expert on optimum CVPI selection as I am sure many factors weigh heavily including creature comforts. From my own professional perspective however I wonder if electrical energy delivery anomalies have been observed. The problem is that the 12 Volt system is only capable of delivering about 3kW. The industry was going to migrate to a 42 Volt system but then for practical considerations found it was too expensive. They therefore began to adapt 12V to fill the gap mainly by implementing load shedding.

The obvious consideration is what do you do when cars come off the assembly line maxed out for energy delivery and then get fitted with an assortment of after market utility accessories. By definition it is a problem generic to 12V. The after market accessories would not be participating in the vehicle microprocessor controlled load shedding and could potentially bring down the system voltage under extreme conditions. A vehicle coming off the assembly line specifically intended for CVPI delivery would at least have an edge.

11. All wheel drive cars are more prone to repair than two wheel drives. I bet in the future the departments will find this out and go with the Chargers. I like the Tahoes in black..very intimidating looking.

12. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    Actually, modern light bars use LED's which are vastly more efficient than the old stuff... my non LED light bar has a 30 amp fuse. The CVPI has a beefier alternator, than a regular crown vic, still I think they tend to wear them out quicker.

13. Our install shop is installing a second battery for the equipment. Even with all LEDs, between the lights, the laptop, the thermal printer, the flashlight charger and so on, batteries usually last a year before they die in our rigs. So much space in the trunk is eaten up by all the crap and spare battery these days.

14. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

Jan 17, 2007
    Lone Star State
    We just got an Interceptor to try out a couple of weeks ago. I drive it for the first time last night. I suppose it's an upgrade from the Crown Vic, but I didn't like it near as much as out Charger demo car. It has no more room (possibly less) than the Crown Vic. I never thought it would be possible, but the visibility is worse than the CV, too (although I suppose that depends on your cage and other equipment). It'll move, but it's nothing to write home about.

15. While I don't dispute that AWD systems are not as sturdy as a solid axle rear wheel drive system, they are not as repair prone as everyone seems to think they are. We have had our AWD patrol cars going on 5 years and haven't had to make a single repair to the AWD system.

16. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    Two batteries, does that mean it will croak in two years now? I'm thinking there is something else going on since the alternator is going to provide the juice.