close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Forbus holster

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by pmanton, Jan 8, 2013.

1. I bought a Forbus retention holster for my G21. The instructions say to pull it out quickly in a straight line.

It is nearly impossible to get out of the holster. It takes at least 25-30 lbs of jerk to clear it, If you do pull exactly straight it ain't gonna come out.

Any suggestions for easing the draw process?

Thanks

Paul
    Salome. AZ

2. Osborne

Osborne

Jan 3, 2012
    Kentucky
    Double check and make sure your pulling it straight out of your holster upward they make it that way to prevent someone jerking out your gun. May need to break it in as your sitting on the couch watching tv or something pull it in and out of your holster 30 or so times and see if that doesn't help.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013

3. Which Fobus model did you purchase? Sounds like you either have the wrong fittment or a defective holster.

4. Try this, with a hairdryer heat the area around the trigger guard,open it up and allow it to cool. I had to do this with my holster for a Ruger P-97. just do a littel at a time.

5. markerbeacon

markerbeacon

Aug 3, 2012
    Madison, AL
    Hair Dryer on HOT works, or harsh language at the FOBUS Holster, take your pick.

6. davsco

davsco

Feb 27, 2011
    maybe drill out the rivets and replace with nuts and bolts. fobus was my first and it had crazy strong retention. now if i want strong retention, i use my blackhawk serpa, once you depress the button, there is zero resistance on the draw - best of both worlds.

7. NITE SITE 53

NITE SITE 53

Feb 21, 2007
    I chose a Safariland STX over the Fobus and glad I did.

8. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    Did you mean Fobus? Worst holsters out there (with the possible exception of Uncle Mike's). That said, a sharp draw straight up to the armpit is what you're looking for.

9. I think I'll first try heat then if that doesn't work, I'll drill out the rivets and put an aluminum spacer in and re-rivet. Third option is the garbage can.

Thanks

Paul

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  10. Wolfdad

Wolfdad

Apr 19, 2011
    Try heating it with the hair dryer on the hot setting. When it's still hot, insert your pistol and let it cool with the gun inserted. Do it a second time if necessary.

11. PCO31

PCO31

Dec 30, 2012
    Bloodymore, MD
    I have one for my G26, and i have found that i need to SNAP it out quick and firm to clear. Otherwise, its locked in there forever. I like it alot for winter CCW under a jacket, but drawing takes some finesse.....better for normal belt carry without any obstructions.

12. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Support the 2nd

Dec 15, 2012
    SW Missouri
    Wrap your G21 in two layers of wax paper and insert into the holster. Let it sit overnight. If it is still too tight increase to three layers, or even four layers. This works great.

13. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Sep 20, 2003
    Penn's Woods
    Fobus? Just out of curiosity, have you noticed any new scratches on your G-21's slide yet? ;)

14. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    I have a Fobus paddle holster for my G19 - hard to remove the gun if I am holding the holster in my hand- not hard at all to remove gun when holster is installed on my belt.

15. Fobus holsters are stiff at first. It will break in with repeated draws. Stay away from Serpa. More than a couple of guys on my range have had them jam up with dirt or gravel, making the gun IMPOSSIBLE to draw until it can be cleaned out with a tool. Some guys love em, but unless you work in a sterile environment they aren't practical. In MY opinion.

16. Dmax07

Dmax07

Dec 10, 2012
    1. Heat with hair dryer till hot as you can get it.
    2. Put a piece of wood that is a little thicker than the trigger guard into the holster where the trigger guard goes. Make sure the two pieces of the holster are approximately 1/4 inch open at the trigger guard.
    3. Put it in the refrigerator to cool down.
    4. Take it out of the frig, remove the board, rub a drop of Ballistol or other lube inside the holster and insert your gun. Now see if this helps.
    5. Repeat as necessary

I fixed mine this way after calling Fobus and getting their directions to solve the problem.

I only use my Fobus holster in the field and shooting range. I use a Remora holster most of the time IWB concealed.

Just my 2 cents worth!!!

17. vmann

vmann Controller

Jan 22, 2010
    DFW
    i threw mine in the trash....acutally the recycle bin....

18. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

May 10, 2002
    Zero jam issues, or any other issues, from department use of serpas, to include filthy environments and training sessions. Not sure I'd use one in the Middle East, but they're good to go with a trained shooter for light duty and more than adequate for cold weather ccw.

19. I've had no trouble with my G23 and Fobus GL2. Once I got the "knack" of the pull required, it releases every time. It's sure not going to release accidentally.