close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Forbes: "Why Doctors Should Not Ask Their Patients About Guns"

Discussion in 'Gun-Control Issues' started by psh, Jan 22, 2013.

1. psh

psh

Jan 7, 2002
    I am a physician, Glock owner, and an advocate of the 2nd Amendment. I hope GlockTalk readers enjoy this piece of mine which appeared in today's Forbes.com:

Forbes: "Why Doctors Should Not Ask Their Patients About Guns" (1/22/2013)

(Please feel free to forward this onto anyone who might be interested. Thanks! --Paul Hsieh, MD)

2. amazon

amazon

Jul 11, 2010
    MA

3. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Thank you, sir.

I opened a thread about this in Carry Issues as the topic is discussed often there.

4. pipedreams

pipedreams Member

Feb 19, 2011
    S. E. Iowa
  5. Antipaladin

Antipaladin

Jan 1, 2013
    My former pediatrician's nurse pulled that with one of my twin boys when the wife was bringing the other little guy to the bathroom. My son told the nurse that his Dad used to be a Marine and a police officer. She followed up with "does your daddy have any scary guns in the house"? When my wife heard about it, she demanded the only copy of the preliminary diagnostics form where the nurse recorded the answer and we filed a complaint with the State Medical Board.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  6. Black&TAN

Black&TAN Senior Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Cleveland, OH
    Well put, and much appreciated!

sent via Tapatalk

7. Annoyinglylongname

Annoyinglylongname

Oct 19, 2012
    Ask me if i have guns and I will ask the doctor probing questions concerning his sex life

8. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    Thank you for giving us a voice.

As I said before, when a bad guy robs a bank, you don't throw the citizens of the town in jail to make sure it doesn't happen again.

9. TexasFats

TexasFats NRA, TSRA, SAF

Sep 14, 2006
    Austin, TX
    "Do I own a gun? Oh, Heavens to Betsy, NO! I would never own one of those evil devices!" And there you have my answer. I would have no problem lying through my teeth when asked if I own a gun, if the questioner has no need to know anyway.

10. domin8ss

domin8ss

Feb 20, 2012
    My wife is a nurse manager for the pediatric unit in the only VA hospital in the country with a pediatric unit. Last night I asked her to not comply with this law because it is an infringement of privacy. If she feels she can't I have asked her to advise her staff to ask the parents and not the children. I don't know if my requests carry any weight because she is a Lieutenant in the Navy. I only hope they do. She can only go so far with who she gives orders to (she has civilian staff too, including doctors), and if orders like these can be given. I will definitely forward this article to her. I hope it will do some good.

As for her, she use to be anti-gun because she was afraid of them. Because of her job, and never being deployed, she has never been trained on firearms by the Navy. We are now at the point where she will hold my shotgun, has dissembled and resembled an AR, and fired a Walther P22. Tuesday she said she wants to get her 9mm quals. I asked her to attend some first steps classes and become familiar with and comfortable with a 9mm before going for her quals. As for my .45, the sound of it firing scared her into tears. That'll be fixed over time.