close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

For those who complain about the Glock 19 Gen 4

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by filipradcliffe, Feb 20, 2012.

Tags:
  1. filipradcliffe

filipradcliffe

Feb 17, 2012
    Not to be rude or hate, but why do people complain about the Glock 19 Gen 4? After reading the reviews, I decided to buy one, and it was my very first handgun. I bought in in Oct 2011, and since then I have fired 1300+ rounds through it. I have about a total of 15 problems (Stove pipe, Failure to Feed, and 2x the slide didn't lock to rear). I have notice people complain about getting hit by the ejecting case...does it really matter that much? When you're focused you don't even realize it's happening. I have been using Federal Champion 115gr. I guess what I'm trying to say is, its a $500 handgun...if you're looking for something perfect spend more...but remember, no matter how much you put into it, it will never function 100%. There are always many possibilities..

2. High Altitude

High Altitude

Nov 19, 2005
    Tennessee
    A properly functioning glock 9mm should have about 1-2 malfunctions per 10,000 rounds fired.

15 malfunctions in 1300 rounds is completely unacceptable.

Original glock 17 had 1 malfunction in 10,000 rounds when tested by the Austria Military.

Todd over at pistol training put 55,221 rounds through a gen4 17 with 9 malfunctions.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

3. tooomey

tooomey

Jul 25, 2011
    :okie:

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! Although I have 2 Gen 4's with zero problems the guns should not do that! No matter the price. I have seen $3500.00 knighthawk 1911's jam so it has nothing to do with price. Glocks slogan is "GLOCK PERFECTION" and that is what people are used to. I don't think its the end of the world if there is a problem but who wants to buy a new gun with problems! NOT ME!

4. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    It used to be that Glock's would just chew up everything you put through them. Once in a blue moon it may malfunction. Anymore, even if you disregard half of what you hear on the net, there seems to be a much higher failure rate with Glock's than ever before.

My Gen 4 Glock 22 has more rounds out of it now that I can keep track of. It's been flawless. I can't say the same for other people at the gun club that I belong to or others that I shoot with at our private range. Most of the trouble seems to be with the 9mm versions.

To me, this is unacceptable given the reputation that Glock has built up over the years. $500 used to get you a super reliable gun, good quality and piece of mind.

Now, it's hit and miss. I would like to see Glock bring their quality standards and reliability back up. Since all of this has been going on, I have moved on from Glock's. I just can't trust them anymore.

I hope that changes in the future.

Message to Glock:

Get your act together!

5. dgbee456

dgbee456

Nov 11, 2008
    HOT AND HUMID
    i agree its a glock...it should be flawless

6. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    I agree. Remembering what Glock used to be compared to what it is now is a real shame. I cut my handgun teeth on a Glock 22 when I was going to go to the police academy years ago. (I never went.)

I remember when Glock's were all the rave and for good reason. They were cost effective, they were dead nuts reliable and they worked.

Now we have what we have and I really wonder if Glock is going to recover their reputation now that it's as damaged as it is. They really need to redeem themselves.

And I hope they do.

7. Congrats . . . Enjoy your first handgun. Hopefully, it's one of many to follow.

8. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    I'm very displeased with Glock these days and what they have done. They can do a lot better than they have been.

But, all the share holders want a bigger and bigger check every quarter. The only way to increase profits is to decrease cost. The big wigs don't care about the end user of the product. They only care about their bottom line and see everything in black and white.

They decrease cost by making things cheaper, and in the process, you get what we have here with the new Glocks.

Completely unacceptable Glock! :steamed:

9. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    +1 :thumbsup:

10. High Altitude

High Altitude

Nov 19, 2005
    Tennessee
    and to add a couple more data points from other top quality polymer pistols that Todd has tested.

M&P9 - 62,333 rounds 2 malfunctions
    HK P30 - 91,322 rounds 13 malfunctions
    HK45 - 50,000 rounds with 2 malfunctions

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  11. dryflyelk

dryflyelk

Feb 16, 2009
    I'll chime in.

One of the reasons I've come to love glocks so, so much is that they just work. I don't have to baby them, i don't have to worry about what kind of ammo, I don't have to even clean them. They work.

I've had a handful of glocks over the years, and i always went chasing the next best thing. HK, Sig, Smith, XD, you name it. I kept coming back. I found so many other reasons why I loved glock. So many times the other guys I'd buy would mess up and crap the bed. My glocks NEVER did. Not one time out of thousands and thousands of rounds.

Fast forward to gen4. I bought a gen4 26 and 19. My 26 has been flawless...my 19, not so much. Many, many issues. Coming from a guy who had never had a jam in a glock before, that pissed me off. Glocks are glocks because they aren't supposed to jam. Ever.

After I got a nice half moon shaped burn on my face from a hot piece of brass nestling itself between my shoulder and my cheek, I had had enough. I sent both gen4's back to georgia without hassle. I'm not sure why I didn't do it sooner.

Since then, both have functioned 100% with a variety of ammo. I now trust my 19 again like I had come to trust anything else with the name "glock" on it.

If you've had that many malfunctions, something is very, very wrong. Get it fixed.

Glock's reputation has taken a big hit with this fiasco. It is still my favorite handgun ever, but I can no longer say it will never have problems.

12. The fundamentals at Glock are still very solid. The design concept is proven. Yes they are having issues. Yes they have implemented fixes for some if not all of these problems but it will take time to identify and correct the deficiencies with the batches of weapons that went out with defective Extractors, RSA's and other components.

I direct your attention to one of their primary competitors. This particular adversary treats a stainless steel slide with a process similar to the Glock Tenifer process and their slides are cracking---most in the same place. Another Me-Too company out there gunning for Glock simply does not have enough of their product placed in the American law enforcement community for us to have a clear picture of just how good their product is.

Things could be much worse with Glock, we could be looking at cracked slides, broken barrel lugs, split frames or mag releases popping out on a frequent basis. So far there are some clear difficulties with jamming----and that is unacceptable no doubt. There also a ton of reports of brass not ejecting properly. This is not good but....in a life or death scenario, the weapon would still function.

Don't write Glock off just yet until you go out and look at the other options and review their design-build philosophies and workmanship. I could go on forever but Glock did it right with the back strap adapters instead of making the replaceable back strap integral to the frame. I don't know about you but I don't like the idea of a hollow grip frame on a polymer pistol especially in a caliber like .40 which can kaBOOM.

Then there is the oldest gun company in the world that recently came out with a rotating barrel design that some now have discovered won't function with any amount of debris in it.

The bottom line is this: The Glock is a well thought out firearm. They are having some important issues but they can and are being addressed.

13. filipradcliffe

filipradcliffe

Feb 17, 2012

I don't know that much, but I'll look into it. Its seems kinda hard to believe that someone actually did these test...I believe "glock perfection" is just a catchy logo. The reliability end of it is, yes it suppose to work in any condition, but who is to say that it won't have issues? It just sounds unbelievable that for $500 I can get a gun with no issue. Otherwise why doesn't everyone just own that specific weapon. This is just my opinion. I'm not trying to argue, now I can actually do some research. Thank for the input and the project!

14. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles

Todd did those tests.

Here you go:

You can read all the reports and updates from the tests of the various firearms. He's testing a Gen 4 G17 right now.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/category/range-reports

The prior iterations of the 9mm Glocks were about as reliable a pistol as man has produced. Now that they've been tinkered with / product improved, it appears that there has been some decline in that reliability in the 9mm models (or at least an annoyance factor with ejection) but perhaps an uptick in reliability in .40 S&W models.

It's just anecdotal from my perspective but the majority of problem threads I read with Gen 4 seem to be concerning 9mm models and rarely the .40 S&W models. :dunno:

I'm glad I purchased the 26/19/17 before all this, and enough spare parts to rebuild any of them if that should ever be necessary. Doubt it though.

On the upside, I feel better than ever about buying a Glock in .40 whereas before the Gen 4 I wasn't too keen. :whistling:

15. High Altitude

High Altitude

Nov 19, 2005
    Tennessee
    You can read all of those tests at this sight.

http://pistol-training.com/

Glocks are very simple designs. Actually, no other semi auto service pistol (meaning a pistol adequate for military or law enforcement use) is simpler to manufacture than a glock. Even after 25 years no manufacture has been able to do better from a simplicity stand point. Simple equals less cost to manufacture. Now factor in it is a 25 year old design, meaning all the processes where developed and paid for a long time ago, plus the amount of production volume glock does is more than anybody else, and you end up with the absolute cheapest manufacturing costs. No one is building service pistols cheaper than glock.

16. WarEagle 1

WarEagle 1 Taco Tuesday

Feb 15, 2012
    Minneapolis
    My old Gen1 G17 fired over 15,000+ with only one malfuntion and the problem was cheap ammo. My Gen3 G22, Gen3 G17 RTF2, Gen3 G23C RTF2, and Gen4 G22 have all been flawless thus far. Even my mighty Sig has had more problems then all five of my Glocks put together.

17. MinnesnowtaWild

MinnesnowtaWild

Dec 26, 2011
    It's a problem because Glock didn't have these problems in the past. Also a problem with erratic ejection when in a self defense situation and you take brass to the eye. Not something that should happen in a defensive pistol. No excuses.

18. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

Jan 17, 2012
    That is more than 1 in 100 malfuntion rate. That is horrible. Who would stake their life on a pistol that will fail you 1 in 100 times. Would you take that gamble when someone is trying to kill you and you need your gun to work?

What happens when you need to defend yourself and a casing hits you dead in the face or worse, in the eye? PISTOLS AREN'T DESIGNED TO LAUNCH SPENT CASINGS TOWARD THE SHOOTER!

Your whole post is laughable and your logic flawed. $500 is more than enough money to expect a reliable gun, especially since there are a myriad of $500 or less guns that DO function reliably, consistently and predictably.

And I don't even own a gen4 G19. But seriously, get real. I almost thought this posting was a joke at first because it's laughable.

19. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    I wasn't going to post, but I'll pile on too.

My Gen 3 G27 has a few cases of ammo through it with ZERO malfunctions.
    That's what I expected from a Glock.
    Reliability is what won Glock contracts and made them famous world wide.
    It's not unreasonable for others to expect that level of performance and quality.

20. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

Apr 8, 2004
    SWPA sticks
    Which is why I won't buy one unless they fix those problems. 15 failures is far too much from a gun for me to even consider.

Yup, it's a 500 dollar gun based on reliability and being able to always go bang when needed. I've got expensive guns, I don't have them for the same reason at all as my Glocks. Although all of which have been 100% reliable. As has my Beretta. Those that aren't I don't own anymore.