close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

for those of you that had the rear of the slide serrated......

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Quack, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Quack

Quack
    Expand Collapse
    Rent this space

2. Rinspeed

Rinspeed
    Expand Collapse
    JAFO

I saw that thread and thought "wow thats a little sloppy for a $2500 pistol. :faint:

3. JoshuaC

JoshuaC
    Expand Collapse

I never got the point of doing that to the back of the pistol. Is it cause people think it looks good or something? Seems like a waste of however many $$'s for something that has no purpose.

4. Shipwreck-The-Sequel

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
    Expand Collapse
    Beretta 92 Nut!

My custom shop springfield has rear serrations, and they are off almost like that too on the rear of the extractor.

I have looked at a LOT of higher end 1911s. This seems to be somewhat common. I've seen it on many brands of high end 1911s. I don't understand why they can't make it straight, however.

Personally, if I ever get it done again, I want it done the way ed brown does it... Just leave the extractor alone with NO serrations. I think that looks better than when they are off from the rest of the rear of the slide.

[​IMG]

5. GJ1981

GJ1981
    Expand Collapse
    Pitying Fools

I agree, I have seen similar examples from the main shops.

Ballcuts not lining up seem to be another problem, which again, I've seen that issue in Wilson, NHC, SA, etc.

Good thing I deleted the serrations on my NHC, and since the ballcuts do line up, my SA Pro will be the only safe queen I own...unless 3rd times a charm :steamed:

6. Hokie1911

Hokie1911
    Expand Collapse
    >

:agree:

7. Nickpisp

Nickpisp
    Expand Collapse

It's a loaded chamber indicator. :whistling:

8. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

I don't recall either of my Nighthawks doing that, but I'll check.

Both of them have serrations on the back of their slides, along with several of my others.

9. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

:rofl:

10. scooterhoohoos

scooterhoohoos
    Expand Collapse
    AKA bryanZ06

I prefer it that way too, and that's how mine were done on my Delta Elite.

[​IMG]

11. Quack

Quack
    Expand Collapse
    Rent this space

now just another thing to get people paranoid about :animlol:

12. Quack

Quack
    Expand Collapse
    Rent this space

:animlol:

13. Shipwreck-The-Sequel

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
    Expand Collapse
    Beretta 92 Nut!

Yes, that looks better. I even like the black finished ones that Brown puts on his stainless models.

My Custom Springer isn't off as much as the one you posted above, but it is slightly annoying. I have seen that enough, though, that I knew this is fairy common. So, I didn't make an issue of it - I just had them fix the scratch on the frame when it came in. And, I had the thumb safety replaced because my gun came with the largest gap under the thumb safety that I had ever seen before.

This is my Brown Special Forces (Top Gun Supply had taken some pics for me before I bought it in 2008 - this is his photo of it)... The rear isn't serrated, but I don't mind the black extractor.

[​IMG]

#13 Shipwreck-The-Sequel, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  14. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970
    Expand Collapse

They come in very handy in a match when the pistol does not go fully go into battery. They keep your palm from slipping off when hitting the back of the slide to push it into battery. This could also be used in a real-world situation. Not a very big deal while standing in a lane static shooting though.

15. polizei1

polizei1
    Expand Collapse
    It WAS Quack

I've heard that the purpose of doing it is to cut the glare from light that could possibly block the rear sight, making it harder to obtain a correct sight picture/sight alignment. Is this true? I have no idea...I think most people just do it for looks.

#15 polizei1, Jan 20, 2011
  16. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970
    Expand Collapse

"Most" people probably do it for looks as most people shoot 50 rounds a month standing in a lane at an indoor range. Just as "Most" of the questions asked on 1911 forums regarding 1911 longevity and fit/finish come from that same group that would never in their lifetime wear out a 1911.

17. knedrgr

knedrgr
    Expand Collapse

both are correct reasons for the serrations. Others might think it's cosmetic, but there is a function. The glare reduction is the same reason why they have serrations on the back of sights.

18. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Oh, the serrations definitely cut down on glare when the sun is behind you. In fact, they completely eliminate the light reflecting back in your eyes off the rear of the slide.

I know many here don't, but I've always liked them. My customs from Morris and Liebenberg both have the serrations as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#18 bac1023, Jan 20, 2011
  19. 38 Super Fan

38 Super Fan
    Expand Collapse

Mine are a little off on my RRA LM. :crying:

20. Shipwreck-The-Sequel

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
    Expand Collapse
    Beretta 92 Nut!

Well, it looks cool if you get it done on the rear of the sight too (depending on what style of sight you have).

Honestly, I did it because I was spending so much on the gun anyway. I really wanted serrations on the top of the slide, but at a certain point, I just couldn't justify spending that much money.

There is ALWAYS something else to be done that would be cool... But, a few dollars here for this, a few dollars here for that... It ads up. I added the beveled slide stop 1/2 way into my waiting period ($75 extra), because I kept seeing it on the pics of the Pro.

I finally decided that $3k was where I'd draw the line (MSRP was $3200 something, but I paid $2990 thru George). Otherwise, I may have gotten french borders and serrations on the slide top.

#20 Shipwreck-The-Sequel, Jan 20, 2011