close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

For self defense purposes, which is "better?"

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by OldArcher, Aug 1, 2010.

1. OldArcher

OldArcher
    Expand Collapse
    Gospel Carrier

I saw the thread on plated versus jacketed bullets, there as to 9mm and .40S&W. Federal Champion vs. American Eagle: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1246548

Since I shoot .45acp, I'm interested in how either bullet covering performs out of my G21 and G30.

Is there such a difference between plated and jacketed, that one is better for self defense? If so, I'll use the lesser for target, the better, for SD/HD...

Currently, I'm using Federal's Champion 230gr plated hardball, but I also have WWB 230gr FMJ, and Remington 230gr FMJ, and Remington's UMC 230gr hardball from their 250rd value packs.

Thanks in advance,

OldArcher, out...

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. 2afreedom

2afreedom
    Expand Collapse

With the same bullet weight you shouldn't see much difference in fmj rounds. The biggest differences will probably what cycles most reliably and gives the best groups out of your particular gun. Why not go with a good hollow point?

3. shotgunred

shotgunred
    Expand Collapse
    reloading nut

Self defense and practice are two completely separate things. It makes sense to find a round that has the same power factor for practice as your Self defense round does. But most people can't afford to practice with Self defense loads.
    For Self defense I would look at Remington 185 gr Golden Saber, Federal 230 gr Hydra Shok or CCI 230 gr Gold Dots.

4. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

Don't use FMJ for self-defense. Period.

5. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Ball ammo is ball ammo. I am not sure what "perfromance" level you are expecting. Ball is for reliable functioning & only testing in your gun will tell you that, yes, they are all diff animals. Opinions will vary, but I see no need for ball ammo in any handgun 9mm & up if a decent JHP will feed & function in your gun. Think of ball ammo as an ice pick wound, smooth, small holes. Unless it tumbles, it's just not as effective as JHP.
    No flames guys, I know shot placement is king. I also know perfect shot placement, which is what you need w/ ball ammo to get max effectiveness, is just not always going to be achieved in a gunfight.

6. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

Sometimes FMJ is the only option.

7. JBP55

JBP55
    Expand Collapse

None of the above. Try 230gr. Gold Dot, Ranger T, HST or PDX1.

8. RedHaze

RedHaze
    Expand Collapse
    Handgunner

Then you have the expanding FMJ at least... By Federal.
    [​IMG]

9. FLglockdude

FLglockdude
    Expand Collapse

These would be my recommendations.

10. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

Somehow I get the feeling Archer is a NJ resident. That would explain the lack of JHP in his considerations for SD/HD.

11. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Good point. If I were restricted to solids, that is probably the only time I would handload for SD. I would want a FP design, probably soft core plated Berry's or Precision black. Otherwise, at least go 45acp for the largest wound possible.:dunno:

#11 fredj338, Aug 2, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010