close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Fondled three guns today, will buy one...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by skippz, May 11, 2012.

1. skippz

skippz

May 29, 2006
    East Kentucky
    Went to my lgs... Held a xdm 3.8 45, hk 45c, and an fn fiveseven... Narrowed it down to the hk or fn... Hk feels better in hand, plus its a tad more practical I would think. However I already have 2 ccw pistols, so I donno if I want to drop the $1k on another or if I wanna throw $1050 on a "fun" gun... As I'm sure the fn would be a hoot to shoot, and my wife would probably enjoy it as well. I don't have an ammo stockpile for either caliber, so once I decide I'll be buying up ammo, what do you guys think?

2. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Oct 14, 2009
    Be prepared for a cacophony of Five-seveN haters (most of whom have never touched one). I have one. I love it. Very cool pistol and fun, too. But, I love FNH guns. That said... I think I'd like an HK some day.

3. skippz

skippz

May 29, 2006
    East Kentucky
    I'm not so much worried about everyone else.. I would like to shoot both though...

4. SigFTW

SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    TX
    What a junk gun!!! just kidding:tongueout:

I have shot the FN fiveseven and though it was a cool round, the gun ran very well. I just can't get past the cheap plastic look.(just my opinion)

5. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
    Do they have one to rent and try. Id go with the HK, but thats my preference

:50cal:

6. Shipwreck-The-Sequel

Shipwreck-The-Sequel Beretta 92 Nut!

May 11, 2010
    Hockey City, Texas
    Someone earlier asked me in a PM about the Five Seven. I previous owned one. I generally stay out of any Five Seven related threads on this site and many others. I have two PS90s (one is almost 6 years old now), and I've had a Five Seven Handgun.

However - the same anti 5.7 crew (who have NEVER even owned one) ALWAYS comes out the woodworks with the same garbage and outdated info. The threads always break down into name calling by them - each and every time.

I just stay out of the threads for the past 2-3 years, as it's just a disaster in the making if you hop on that train (try to be pro five seven on one of these threads).

In fact, I've said too much already :rofl:

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    I'd go for the H&K - just sounds more practical.

8. skippz

skippz

May 29, 2006
    East Kentucky
    Well, the hk probably is more practical, and it is nicer to hold, and I'm an hk fan... However I reckon fn makes a fine weapon too, and having 20 rds of ~2000 fps lead on tap is a huge plus, I don't care if it's a .22 caliber bullet or nay, 2 or3 of those babies in a kill zone and it's a bad day for somebody... And from what I hear it's fairly easy to get fast, accurate f/u shots... At any rate I'm gonna jump on one soon, just haven't decided yet

9. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle

Nov 27, 2011
    I own and love my HK45c. It is my only carry gun.
    Seeing that you have other guns for carry I vote FN. They are crazy fun to shoot (but a bit pricey to feed). I fired one at my range that a guy offered, I'd love to own one but can't justify it on my budget, lol.

10. skippz

skippz

May 29, 2006
    East Kentucky
    Well my other 2 carry pieces are 9mm (glock 19/m&p 9c)... Now there's nothing wrong with a 9, maybe I just wanna larger caliber in the hk 45c, I may even trade one of those two if I decide to go the hk route... Thanks for the help guys, keep em comin

11. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Jun 20, 2010
    Texas
    Hickok45 produced two recent videos that may be useful to you if you haven't seen them already:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z24qwPoCqUo"]FN Five-seveN 5.7X28mm[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg6vs0fBOiI"]FN Five-seveN ( chapter 2 )[/ame]

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  12. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

May 1, 2010
    Las Vegas
    If it is just for a fun gun, get the Five seveN. 20 round mags of 5.7 = fun.

13. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

Mar 15, 2011
    Alabama
    Agree with you as usual Bruce! The H&K is a lot more practical and a fine gun. Also, 45 ammo will be tons to find easier and most likely cheaper than ammo for the 5.7!

14. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle

Nov 27, 2011
    This changes my opinion!
    For a carry 45 I can't vote loudly enough for the HK. It is a bit bulky but I wouldn't carry anything else. I had a XD45c and liked it just fine but once I had saved enough I bought the HK.

15. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Nov 22, 2010
    BMT, TX
    HK45c. I have close friends that have all 3 guns you have mentioned. I've shot them all. Even the P90 rifle. Though the FN is cool with almost zero recoil, I don't like the thought of having limited place to go to buy ammo. If you're buying bulk online than it's a more even match between the two pistols.

16. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
  17. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Feb 28, 2005
    DFW TX
    Are you even trying to be practical? If you are going to get a plastic gun, that won't see carry use go with the FN.

18. skippz

skippz

May 29, 2006
    East Kentucky
    Whatd'ya mean? Should I not buy either?
    If I drop the hammer on the HK it will def see carry use, if I go FN it will probably only come out on range days or camping/hiking trips... So I'm gonna go fondle some more Tuesday and probably make my decision then

19. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Feb 28, 2005
    DFW TX
    No not saying that at all. A statement was made about being practical. Who cares about practical? If you are trying to be practical, great. If not, great.

My point is if you are going to buy plastic and don't care about being practical then the FN is a fine choice.