close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Fondled some 1911's today....

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by 3rdgen40, Jan 20, 2010.

1. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

May 3, 2008
    Arkansas
    So, I was at my favorite gun shop today and got to handle a bunch of Colts,Kimbers and a S/A Loaded.I like the Loaded except for the FCS and that damn ambi safety.When I disengaged it the off side of it would jamb against my trigger finger.It did have a very tight slide to frame fit and was very smooth action.I looked at a blue series 80 commander that I really liked.The price was $850.Is that high or the going rate?Really like the look and feel of it.Played with a couple Kimber Pro carrys',a couple Ultra Raptors,a Custom II and a CDP Pro.All nice guns, except they all had a weak safety engagement.When the safety was on, it felt loose enough to easily become disengaged if bumped or rubbed on something.When I noticed the first one I thought,well maybe this one is a "lemon" or whatever.Tried them all and every one was the same.The Colts and the Loaded all had a nice tight, positive locking safety.Is that a common problem with Kimbers ? Is it just a weak plunger spring or what ?
    Anyway, I'm thinking about getting the Colt Commander.Is that a fair price ? Would a series 70 be a better choice ?

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    The trigger on a series 70 will be a bit better.
    Would need to look into some prices to give a good answer about the sale price.

3. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

May 19, 2008
    The Gunshine State
  4. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Didn't they quit making those?
    Now they're a Commiefornia VBOB

5. Navitimer

Navitimer

Apr 29, 2009
    Agreed, but if you're going to be using it for concealed carry, keep in mind that a Series 70 doesn't have a drop safety. I know there's some controversy around this, but IMHO a drop safety is mandatory for a carry gun.

6. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  7. Brian Brazier

Brian Brazier

Jan 20, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I hate FCS and ambi safeties as well, that is why I went with the Mil Spec, plus with the money I saved I was able to get some extras I wanted.

8. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

May 3, 2008
    Arkansas
    Why does a cocked and locked 1911 need a drop safety ? How many have discharged when dropped in the last 100 years ?

9. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    It satisfies the "tree huggin, bunny kissin, Lawyers & Politicians"

10. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Mar 25, 2003
    Phoenix
    Just TRY to get a butt-heavy 1911 to fall exactly on the muzzle!

11. hdbob

hdbob

Nov 8, 2009
    Had a hard time finding one, but got mine last month...glad I did.....

I think 850 is high for the colt.... Brand New XSE commanders are like 850... Id say 650-750

12. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    XSE would be a nice weapon if it had a different finish,
    beavertail and no FCS