close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Folding Shovel.

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Bolster, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Bolster

Bolster
    Expand Collapse
    Not Ready Yet!

Time for me to add a folding shovel to my car kit.

Are they all pretty much the same, or are some superior to others? Which can you recommend?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl
    Expand Collapse

I was looking through a catalog one time, Glock actually makes one, the Glock Entrenching tool. [​IMG]

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

3. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins
    Expand Collapse
    Slacked jawed

For just snow or Snow & dirt?

I seen some nice collapseable Aluminum snow shovels in Dicks Sporting goods and other camping stores. Looks like this.

[​IMG]

If you have the room in the trunk, I would ge a short handled shovel. As someone who used one a little too regularly , E-tools really suck for serious digging. If you have a small trunk, just get an E-tool or that Glock tool

4. 20South

20South
    Expand Collapse

I got a SOG as part of a package on Woot once. Seems good enough. No failures, but not heavily used either.

Here is the set:

[​IMG]

5. jwhite75

jwhite75
    Expand Collapse
    Gubmint Worker

This is what they made first and is considered by many to be one of the best ones out there.

6. captainstormy

captainstormy
    Expand Collapse

I've got one I picked up at the army surplus store for boyscouts many moons ago.

15 or so years later its still in good shape with fairly heavy usage. Lots of camping and backpacking trips.

Its a small head thou, if it were just for snow, Id go with one of those small collapsable shovels.

7. Bolster

Bolster
    Expand Collapse
    Not Ready Yet!

Sorry, I should have specified: dirt. Little snow to speak of where I live.

So...there was an early Glock and a later Glock shovel? And the early is the desirable one?

8. Bolster

Bolster
    Expand Collapse
    Not Ready Yet!

I notice the Gerber Folding Spade (the 0075) is USA made, still. Looks like most other options are all Chinee.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Tool-Folding-Shovel-24/dp/B0042NKS4O"]Amazon.com: Gerber E-Tool Folding Shovel (24 in.): Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31KZwj1LwSL.@@AMEPARAM@@31KZwj1LwSL[/ame]

#8 Bolster, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  9. glkdawg45

glkdawg45
    Expand Collapse

Old tri-fold E-Tool from Uncle Sam. Works for me.

10. emt1581

emt1581
    Expand Collapse
    Curious Member

Whichever one you pick watch some of the reviews and tests on youtube.

Personally, my wife's trunk kit has a decent sized one but it's plastic. I'm thinking about buying a cold steel shovel. The thing will supposedly chop through wood like a hatchet/small axe, yet the wooden handle allows for a good grip. Again, this is how I'm leaning after I've seen VERY poor reviews of the Gerber and Glock.

-Emt1581

11. jdavionic

jdavionic
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

I just got a surplus shovel years ago. Like one of the previous posters, I use it for camping but it stays in my BOB. Never had any issues with it.

12. bdcochran

bdcochran
    Expand Collapse

I have the Cold Steel, Gi, Glock.

The Cold Steel one is based on the Soviet Spetnaz model. That is the one I would get.

The shovel head and socket are forged from medium carbon steel, then heat treated for maximum strength. The edges come sharpened to a utility/axe edge that can easily be improved to razor sharpness.

The Special Forces Shovel comes complete with a specially made Cor-Ex sheath. The sheath features an extra wide belt loop. The sheath and the shovel are available for sale as a stand alone items.

Regardless of which you buy, read the reviews on how the Soviet based design is used in combat.

PS : I hated the design and carry sheath for the US GI model in the 1960s. If it isn't convenient, you are not going to carry it, just like other equipment.

13. Bolster

Bolster
    Expand Collapse
    Not Ready Yet!

Good to know, I was considering the Cold Steel also. Both good and bad that it doesn't fold down. For the record there are two Gerbers, the Gorge 578 (rated lower) and the 075 (rated higher and twice the price). The Cold Steel is half the price of the 075.

#13 Bolster, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  14. Ethereal Killer

Ethereal Killer
    Expand Collapse

I've got both the glock E-tool AND the Cold Steel Spetznaz shovel. both are GREAT pieces of kit, and i carry them in my pack actually.

THAT SAID... for a TRUNK shovel, go buy a good d-handle spade point digging shovel for the trunk. Weight and space are less of an issue and when you need it particularly for a car emergency, the smaller shovels wont cut it.

different size problems mean different size tools.

15. Big Bird

Big Bird
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Another vote for the Cold Steel SF shovel. I have one in both of my vehicles. I had a folding GI shovel and will tell you every folding shovel I've ever used for anything other than digging a cat hole SUCKED...the handles constantly wiggle loose and need tightning.

The CS Shovel weighs about the same but it doesn't fold. Big deal. If you need a shovel you can simply strap it on your rucksack.

16. racerford

racerford
    Expand Collapse

I have the Glock, but have never used. I like the idea of a tenifer coated blade. It also has a saw in the handle. Yes, Yes, I know I should be ashamed to never have used something i may have to use in case of an emergency. I have whipped myself 3 times with a cat o' nine tails for the transgression, no need to chastize me more. :)

17. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter
    Expand Collapse

i keep a GI tri-fold in my truck and a cheaper knock off of the same in my wifes car. hers has never been used, mine had been well abused. works well for me.

18. RatDrall

RatDrall
    Expand Collapse

Folding shovels are lame, go with the Cold Steel short shovel. Mine has dug me out of snow, and helped out in other ways, just fine.

19. emt1581

emt1581
    Expand Collapse
    Curious Member

If it's anything like their knives it will suck and suck big time! The coating comes right off and the knife rusts something terrible.

I think I'm going to buy myself the CS shovel and hopefully a sheath tonight....I've seen the pair together fr $37 or so...not bad for what you get IMO.

Nice thing is if you need a longer/full sized handle...just cut one off a tree, whittle the end and remove the screws for the original handle and screw that sucker in...

-Emt1581

20. Turbo810

Turbo810
    Expand Collapse